Virginia House Bill HB2078 - major move against digging/selling relics in VA

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Please send email today - goes to committee on Mon.

Folks,

Appears several legislators in there wisdom, have drafted legislation to impose rather onerous sanctions against digging and selling relics in Virgina. Whether you reside in VA or not, this could ultimately impact you. I'd appreciate your support in defeating this legislation.

Here's the legislation:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?051+ful+HB2078

Here's what you can do:

1. If a Virginia resident, write your delegate. You can find them at:
http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/MWebsiteTL?OpenView

2. If not a Virginia resident, send a note to either the Speaker of the House or the Majority or Minority House leaders. Here they are:

William J. Howell
Speaker of the House
General Assembly Building
P.O. Box 406
Richmond, Virginia 23218
Phone: (804) 698-1028
Fax: (804) 786-6310
Constituent Viewpoint: (800)-889-0229
Email: [email protected]
Room Number: 635

H. Morgan Griffith
Majority Leader
P.O. Box 406
Richmond, Virginia 23218
Phone: (804) 698-1008
Room Number: 607

Franklin P. Hall
Minority Leader
P.O. Box 406
Richmond, Virginia 23218
Phone: (804) 698-1069
Room Number: 614

Below is a draft letter that you can feel free to use. Send me a private email on questions.

Cory Rind
[email protected]

Dear Delegate,

As a Civil War history buff and metal detectorist, a proposed piece of legislation, Virginia House Bill HB2078, has me extremely concerned. This bill seems destined to take away my ability to readily look for Civil War artifacts (with permission) in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Additionally, should I choose to sell or buy artifacts, it appears I could easily be in violation of the law without having extensive documentation on source of the artifact.

I strongly recommend that you vote against this legislation for the following reasons:

1. Laws are already in place in Virginia regarding trespassing, grave robbing and

destruction of property.
2. A Federal law, Archeological Resources Preservation Act of 1979 (ARPA), has

already been enacted and covers most of the concerns HB2078 deals with.
3. Having dealt with many landowners, most have no need for written permission -

they are either going to give permission to detect/use their land or they will not.

An additional piece of paper accomplishes nothing.
4. Definition of a site is vague. This definition could cover most any piece of land.
5. If one engages in the sale or purchase of "objects of antiquity", how is one to

document that the item complies with the law?
6. "Object of antiquity" is a pretty vague term. This could be stretched to cover

most anything a zealous prosecuting attorney might desire.
7. Why should a landowner have anything to do with anyone's right to engage in

free commerce or trade?

Should you wish to further discuss this issue, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

C

cachenut

uf you hunt without written permissin you could get a criminal record just for looking. >:(

If you sell something over $200 without written permission it could be a felony record you get. >:(

This is redicilous. Send an email now if you want to continue in Virginia. ;)

Joe.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLUS How many homeowners, will give you permission, but don't want to give anything with their name signed to it. Especially if they know about this bill.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Something you may have to watch out for is the part "Encourage Private Landowners" Say you are a Landowner who wants to Develop a Piece of Property. Would you give Written Permission to someone with a metal detector to search your property, IF there is a chance you may find the site to be "Historically Significant" causing your Development Project to be Put on hold or Even Stoped Permanetly, because Some Archie Or State Official Says So.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
rovnrbl said:
Appears several legislators in there wisdom, have drafted legislation to impose rather onerous sanctions against digging and selling relics in Virgina. Whether you reside in VA or not, this could ultimately impact you. I'd appreciate your support in defeating this legislation.

Here's the legislation:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?051+ful+HB2078

This makes the 3 S's even more important than ever: Sift, Shovel and Shut up!

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
? ?:) Uncle Sam and His cohorts Strike Again!? >:(
They'll soon have everything for themselves!
They have made themselves all "Millionairs"!
Just check out some of thier? "PERKS"!
:-[ It's your money their taking! :-[

OP
OP
R

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Folks,

I'm going to bump this back up just so we continue to get exposure and your help. Thanks,
Cory

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread