Stage Gulch Gold

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Over the last 45 or so years, I have heard numerous renditions of the two or three caches of gold in the Stage Gulch area. This is a 22 mile long normally dry gully in the bottom of a big draw that goes between Pendleton & Stanfield, Oregon. It was the part of the Overland Stage Route that served the forts at Walla Walla,Fort Henrietta in Echo, Fort The Dalles, the John Day River & Sumpter Gold mining communities, Baker City & all connections to the Columbia River in Umatilla, OR.

In about 1880 & again in 1900, there were two stage robberies in which the missing gold shipments were not recovered. One of them resulted in the arrest of the two suspects in Stanfield the day after the robbery. They stated that the gold was buried in stage gulch. The unlucky guys then kept an abrupt appointment with a big tree & a rope. Sudden justice prevailed, even though the gold remained lost. It was searched for & never found.

There is an article in a Aug. 1966 issue of True West Magazine that states that the Branstitter Ranch ( in Stage Gulch ) found several butchered chickens to have gold dust in their craws. This was verified at the time & numerous searches failed to turn up the cache. Same info
to date. The ranch is still there.

The story of the other stage robbery is similar other than it was supposed to be a shipment of gold coin for a payroll. It also was hidden in Stage Gulch & has never been recovered.

There is also a documented story of an Army shipment of gold coins ( supposedly $15,000.00 ) that was lost about 1878 as the result of an Indian Battle. This gold was buried under the corner of a large boulder or rock pile & the one surviving soldier was gravely injured. He walked & crawled for several days to near the vicinity of Ft. Henrietta in Echo where he was found & told his story with his dying breaths. The shipment was never recovered. There are several large boulders or rock piles within a few miles of the old fort site. Sat photos show them well. It's just a big job & area to search.

I grew up in Stanfield & in my younger years, I spent uncountable hours hunting & shooting in the lower end of Stage Gulch. Now I am 53 & I am retiring this year. I have been MDing for two years now ( when I could steal the time ) & it has become a passion. I fully intend to swing my DFX over the entire length of Stage Gulch over the next couple of years. If I recover something good, that will be great. If I don't, I still have a good time. Just work my way up one side then back down the other one section at a time until I get it done. I have plans to walk a lot of miles & hunt a lot of sites.

If you have any in-site or information to share about any of these " Treasure Legends " please post it or email me. Spotz

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Come on you Eastern Oregon THer's! Where are you? 82 reads & no replys! I know that I am not the only person to have knowledge of the Stage Gulch Gold legends. Spotz

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I am really disappointed. Come on you Oregon Treasure Hunters. It looks like BigMo from Pendleton & I are just going to have to find it all by ourselves. Spotz

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Hi! I'm in Washington but go to Oregon fairly often. I'd love to know more - do you
have the coordinates of the general area? (I'm a GPS guy). I'd love to hook up and
work a search with you... practically grew up in Oregon (Central - Bend, Madras, Prineville)
and love the area. I have lots of Oregon TH'ing questions too...

Let me know here or email me at [email protected] and maybe we can hook up....

Dave Ellison
Zommbee
Tacoma, WA

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Probably no replies because there is little is Truth to the stories. The Indians had most of E Oregon still under their control in 1860. As Clive Cussler ( who has done more research than any of us) said in one of his books "he has found no time the army paid in gold. The pay came in curency and silver."

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
There is documentation of the robberies in the local library, but as you noted, most can't confirm gold other then the Branstitter Ranch site. It was in dust & small nuggets, not coins. These particular events are real but the evidence is hard to track. Stage Gulch is any where from 100 yards to a half mile wide & 22 miles long. All we need to do is swing a detector over that 12 inch or so square spot. Trouble is there are more square feet of ground than there is dollars in the lotterie.

Zommbee,
Maybe we can hook up sometime. I have kin in Tacoma & my wife is a Lincoln High Grad class of "72". We are just 270 miles apart. Spotz

May 3, 2016
Umatilla county, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey spotz I am over here in Umatilla county as well I have some info and some intrest in this same legend as well. I sent you a PM. 20160503_145945.jpg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
First time I've heard of these. One cache associated in some way with the Stage Gulch area was buried near Meacham. Cache was recovered by Sheriff Til Taylor. Story available from The Oregon Daily Journal, 8/2/1920, p 4.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The 1880 robbery may not have been gold dust and nuggets. Sounds like the gold found in the chicken craws may have been found on the Branstitter Ranch. I'd check that locale more closely for native gold, which may have been hidden there by an early miner.

Jsams1

Dec 1, 2023
Over the last 45 or so years, I have heard numerous renditions of the two or three caches of gold in the Stage Gulch area. This is a 22 mile long normally dry gully in the bottom of a big draw that goes between Pendleton & Stanfield, Oregon. It was the part of the Overland Stage Route that served the forts at Walla Walla,Fort Henrietta in Echo, Fort The Dalles, the John Day River & Sumpter Gold mining communities, Baker City & all connections to the Columbia River in Umatilla, OR.

In about 1880 & again in 1900, there were two stage robberies in which the missing gold shipments were not recovered. One of them resulted in the arrest of the two suspects in Stanfield the day after the robbery. They stated that the gold was buried in stage gulch. The unlucky guys then kept an abrupt appointment with a big tree & a rope. Sudden justice prevailed, even though the gold remained lost. It was searched for & never found.

There is an article in a Aug. 1966 issue of True West Magazine that states that the Branstitter Ranch ( in Stage Gulch ) found several butchered chickens to have gold dust in their craws. This was verified at the time & numerous searches failed to turn up the cache. Same info
to date. The ranch is still there.

The story of the other stage robbery is similar other than it was supposed to be a shipment of gold coin for a payroll. It also was hidden in Stage Gulch & has never been recovered.

There is also a documented story of an Army shipment of gold coins ( supposedly $15,000.00 ) that was lost about 1878 as the result of an Indian Battle. This gold was buried under the corner of a large boulder or rock pile & the one surviving soldier was gravely injured. He walked & crawled for several days to near the vicinity of Ft. Henrietta in Echo where he was found & told his story with his dying breaths. The shipment was never recovered. There are several large boulders or rock piles within a few miles of the old fort site. Sat photos show them well. It's just a big job & area to search.

I grew up in Stanfield & in my younger years, I spent uncountable hours hunting & shooting in the lower end of Stage Gulch. Now I am 53 & I am retiring this year. I have been MDing for two years now ( when I could steal the time ) & it has become a passion. I fully intend to swing my DFX over the entire length of Stage Gulch over the next couple of years. If I recover something good, that will be great. If I don't, I still have a good time. Just work my way up one side then back down the other one section at a time until I get it done. I have plans to walk a lot of miles & hunt a lot of sites.

If you have any in-site or information to share about any of these " Treasure Legends " please post it or email me. Spotz
I'd like to know more about this. I live in hermiston. I have a metal detector and like to check a couple of places with some one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread