vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
Wow - you posted this exact same question on three different forums - you didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I had some old coast and geological survey maps. They even showed the outhouses. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try looking at the Sanborn site for your area. Check out 1. your library 2. city or county agencies. 3.historical society And have you tried Google Earth??? You'd be surprised what you can see! Look over the area for disturbances or rubble. Look in the phone book for map dealers. Is there a prospector or detector dealer in the area? They would either have maps of your area or be able to point you in the right direction.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Like boogeyman said. Sanborn Fire Maps are real good. They show everything plus length, width between buildings, streets. They even show outhouses. Sanborn is an insurance company. You can check the Library of Congress. You can also check the University of Arizona library. There a University in Texas that has them just don't remember which one. Probably just about any University would have them I'm guessing. Good Luck!

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On a couple of my older hunts, I hired a small plane & a pilot. I carried my camera then, as some of today's gizmo's were not available. I shot photo's through the windows, then was able to trace my way back to what I was searching for, w/very good luck, thank you! Also, another method is on horse back!! It's amazing how much more you can view from just a few feet higher than on foot!! (try it, & see the difference)

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because back in the day folks planted colorful flowers around the border of their houses. Most of the time facing the point of entry. I have 2 house places on our farm. We plant our winter wheat really late in season for deer to eat in. When spring comes around the old flowers come out like sore thumbs every year. Even after many years of discing and plowing, the flower bulbs still stay in the same place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread