Jean Lafitte Treasure Found ????

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
This story was told to me several years ago by a man in his 80 s Back in 1940 or 41 two men hired to clean up around what is said to be Lafittes red house disapeared after a few days. One of the men was found living in east Texas where he had bought a farm. The other went north later over seas where he was killed during WW2. The man who was killed left an estate of 60,000 in cash plus land in Mississippi. Thats a lot of money for a man who was a laborer just a few years before. The man who told this did not or would not tell me the names of the two men. If anyone has heared or knows any more info please let me know.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
In searching some old newspapers....found a newspaper article from 1935, a full page on Jean Lafitte. I saved the newspaper to my hard drive and will try to break it down.

Talks about his trail from the Galveston to St Louis. Talks about how this man was ordered to dump 6 wagons of gold bars and silver? that were in the wagon into this lake.

There is a bridge now, in 1935 that is over this lake and it talks about this treasure now being lost forever due to the building of this bridge.

Since it's a large article...I can't post on here and still have you read it...so I posted it on my webshots....here's what you do...

Go to this page: http://community.webshots.com/user/famleeroots

Then look for the album that says: Treasure Stories and Photos

Click on that album. When the album opens, click on the photo you want to see. Some articles, like this one, will still be too tiny to view...on the right side of that page with the photo you want to see....click on FULL SIZE. This will open the photo into another page. Move your mouse off of the photo and then over it again and at the bottom right you will see an icon. Click on that icon and it will enlarge to photo so you can read it....Use back space to view others and repeat process for each photo.

Got that? Any questions or problems....pm me....otherwise, enjoy the article!!!! I know someone else posted about Jean Lafitte, but I can't find the post right now...so this one will work :)

Happy Hunting,
Annmarie

OP
OP
bja3908

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
I have a file 2 in thick on Hendricks lake treasure. The one I am thinking of was found??? on Galveston Island

jb3

Oct 1, 2007
bja3908 said:
This story was told to me several years ago by a man in his 80 s Back in 1940 or 41 two men hired to clean up around what is said to be Lafittes red house disapeared after a few days. One of the men was found living in east Texas where he had bought a farm. The other went north later over seas where he was killed during WW2. The man who was killed left an estate of 60,000 in cash plus land in Mississippi. Thats a lot of money for a man who was a laborer just a few years before. The man who told this did not or would not tell me the names of the two men. If anyone has heared or knows any more info please let me know.
The story of the two laborors suddenly having money after clearing weeds around the Lafitte foundation was printed in a book about Texas treasures in the 70's. If I recall, a Dr. bought the property in the 60's and had the 2 guys cut weeds, clean up etc. He fenced the property with chainlink fence and it still looks exactly the same as it did 40 years ago. I drive by it almost every weekend on the way to the Galveston Yacht Basin. It is about 8 to 10 feet from the road with a historical marker. The Foundation walls are still there, it is pretty cool looking. Hundreds of people drive by it everyday and not many people know or care what it is.

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.
kenb said:
Sounds like the Hendricks lake treasure. See link.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,109722.0.html

kenb
It is my sincere belief that the Hendricks Lake treasure was silver taken by Lafitte from capturing of the Spanish ship Santa Rosa in Matagorda Bay in 1820. The dumping of the silver in the lake was a temporary thing until danger passed, then was recovered, after all he had divers at his disposal. Things underwater were recovered on a regular basis in those days, (read Commadore Moore's accounts) Lafitte then shipped the treasure north to the East coast, (Philadelphia, where he was a member of the Masonic lodge), where he commissioned the building of a steamship... Much is explained in his journal... At least that's my opinion.
Richard

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett "Ace 250", Garrett "Groundhog", BH "Tracker IV", Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,
I live in Longview, not far from Tatum. I too have knowledge of this treasure and have for many years. I spent a few years as a deputy sheriff for that county and all my life in this area. I have done EXTENSIVE investigation about the claims i have heard through the years. The most concrete evidence i have is several years back, is a old man's account who lived on Martin Creek (approx 2 miles south of Hendricks Lake) before it was flooded to make Martin Lake for the power plant. He explained that as a very small child around 1890's-1900's (yes, he was very old when he told this story some 15 years ago) he played in Martin Creek. He said there was a heavy Indian population in this area at that time (i've found this to be true also by numerous found arrowheads and broken pieces of pottery). He said one day he was playing in this creek and ventured away from his property into an area he'd never been, that's when he said the found a hollowed out cave in the creek bank. He said he entered and saw many gold bars inside. As a result he was confronted by an Indian, he said he then ran off scared to death. He told his dad but no one believed him and dismissed him off as a imaginative kid. He told me the Indians kept a close eye on the treasure and that area but never did anything with it. As time passed he left the area and the creek was flooded into a large lake.

This man had no reason to lie to me and no reason to make up such a claim. As a police officer of many years i consider myself a pretty good judge of when i'm being lied to or not. This man told me he could put my feet on top of the exact spot where this cave is if there wasn't a lake there now. I don't know of anyone who has heard this story but i believed the old man who has since passed on. He also told me the treasure is GOLD, he said he saw GOLD bars, NOT silver. He also said Hendricks Lake is NOT where this GOLD is, he said there is nothing in there like everyone thinks.

I do not know anything more than what the old man told me as i have described above. As i said, i believe the old man and will from now own. Texas A&M came up here several years back and dredged Hendricks Lake, they spent lots of money and resources only to find NOTHING! Their conclusion was that the treasure is somewhere else and NOT in Hendricks Lake. If Texas A&M tried and found nothing, you can probably bet nothing is there. They have some pretty awesome equipment, personnel and financial backing.

Last edited:

Hyperbemily

Aug 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is quite old now, but I'm wondering if any other information has been discovered about this? I found this site just now from a google search for Lafitte's treasure and it brought me here. I'm a descendant of his first mate and so while as a general rule I love history/archeology/treasure hunting, naturally this is the treasure that interests me the most.

TonyF

Aug 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born and raised in East Texas. My step father also grew up in East Texas, but in the country on a farm. He was also a ham radio operator. He stated while talking to someone on the radio, who was a Jean L researcher, the guy described the markings Lafitte would leave pointing to treasure. My step father knew where one of these markers were, he had found it while hunting years ago and thought it might be a grave marker or something. However, since it pointed toward someone else's land, he never did or said anything about it. I still have no idea if it was really a JL marker, or if so, it treasure was ever found.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born and raised in East Texas...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions