Cache Recovery from a creek bed

Nice Person

Sep 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have located a cache of coins near a creek bed and I am wondering what the best way to recover the cache without losing it in the mud?

Any suggestions...

I had heard being up the creek without a paddle, but never coins up the creek. Good luck and keep in touch.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Did you locate them with a Metal Detector and how deep do you believe they are? If they are loose and not in a container try a gold dredge
to move the mud and pick them up manually so they don't bounce through the dredge and get dinged.
Rich

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Did you locate them with a Metal Detector and how deep do you believe they are? If they are loose and not in a container try a gold dredge
to move the mud and pick them up manually so they don't bounce through the dredge and get dinged.
Rich

He's got to get the coins out first so he can buy the gold dredge. Lol!

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Treasure hunting aint easy is it Jerome. I thing we have all at one time needed more $ to recover some loot. Sure is fun though.
Rich

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Treasure hunting aint easy is it Jerome. I thing we have all at one time needed more $ to recover some loot. Sure is fun though.
Rich

No its not easy and it sucks when you find out you spent more money digging up a treasure than what its worth. Lol!

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not the only phone that does that.

I believe you can turn off the location services so the location data is not recorded when taking pictures.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunting aint easy is it Jerome. I thing we have all at one time needed more $ to recover some loot. Sure is fun though. Rich
you can say that again. I hunted for 4 hours and got the back ache which lasted for 4 days. Hard to believe I used to dig fox holes arm pit deep, 2 bayonets wide and an m16 and a half long with no problems.

Last edited:

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Pawpaw,
I was in the Signal Corps, didn't have to dig that many holes, but I know what you mean. It's the dowsing rods that save us a bit
of work. How do you like the AT Gold?
Rich

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Why so much digging? Back when I was in the Air Force we'd just have a jet fly over and drop a 500 pounder and there's our hole. Lol!

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pawpaw, I was in the Signal Corps, didn't have to dig that many holes, but I know what you mean. It's the dowsing rods that save us a bit of work. How do you like the AT Gold? Rich

Treasure finder, I like the AT gold, but I still dig a lot of junk because of some large iron, copper, aluminum cans etc giving good readings. I have been using pendulum to map dowse, but then found that the more positive indications turned out to be power lines. I learned how to program that out, but now get way fewer positive readings. I think maybe my area just does not have as many lost silver coins. So I am coming full circle as a newbie. My lesson is 1. Do the research on history of location. 2. Map dowse the prospective location. 3. Get permission and use L rods to dowse the area. 4. Use metal detector, probe and then dig if all indications are probable good target. Did I leave anything out? By the way, I am thinking about taking the AT Gold out on a gold prospecting search. Perhaps in WV, my home state, but Gold is scarce here, or maybe North Georgia or North Carolina which are supposed to be good.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Pawpaw,
I have hidden targets in the past, pennies and silver coins at different locations to use as test targets for map dowsing. I know what year
etc. such as a 1951 Half Dollar, then I have dowsed for that specific coin. Also when I check the target I check for ghost signals. I just
recently got a ghost signal for silver, went to the location and there was a hole at the location. It was an abandoned property, I believe it
was the owner's stash and they took it when they moved.
Good luck
Rich

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pawpaw, I have hidden targets in the past, pennies and silver coins at different locations to use as test targets for map dowsing. I know what year etc. such as a 1951 Half Dollar, then I have dowsed for that specific coin. Also when I check the target I check for ghost signals. I just recently got a ghost signal for silver, went to the location and there was a hole at the location. It was an abandoned property, I believe it was the owner's stash and they took it when they moved. Good luck Rich

Treasure finder,

I am new to dowsing and have only limited knowledge about what I am doing. Doesn't your personal knowledge about the target skew the dowsing results, or do you get someone else to plant the target and withhold the details from you? How long does a target have to be buried before you can dowse it. If I have a preprinted aerial photo, will new buried targets show up on it? I have been map dowsing on my ipad as someone on here said it could be done. Is that true and is it accurate?

Since I know nothing about ghost signals, can you explain how to check for them and what they mean exactly? I recently map dowsed a target that was supposed to be a pipe containing silver and gold coins. Went to the spot with my neighbor on his property found it with L rods and confirmed with detectors. He dug it up and it was 2 ft piece of pipe with mud in both ends, but was empty. Was the target info from my dowsing possibly a ghost signal? I map dowsed a second pipe with coins on his property, but he did not dig it. We did confirm with detectors that something is there at the exact spot. Do you ask many detailed questions when map dowsing or just keep it simple as to type of target, location and depth? How do you handle the signals from overhead power lines and poles with transformers when map dowsing? I located what is indicated to be 5 coin caches, but found out potential targets are located at high voltage lines that either intersect or are on power poles with transformers ......so I am avoiding the site because they were most likely false and I don't want to dig near poles and under transmission lines and distribution lines.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Well Pawpaw, as it seems, it does take lots of practice. As I see it there are two kinds of dowsing, physical and mental. Physical dowsing is on
site dowsing, like looking for water, using a witness (such as a gold coin) etc.
Mental dowsing is map dowsing, asking questions etc. and I consider it to be more of an ESP thing. In mental dowsing you can ask question any
question you want, such as "Is this a ghost signal? Does the pipe have coins in it? Is the lost person still alive? Did he have the money with him
at this location?" There seems to be no limits to distance, time frame, age of photo, etc in mental dowsing, but it takes a lot more practice before
becoming at all proficient. You are right to dowse in the field to check map dowsing. Incidentally I don't get signals from power lines, I just never
think of them and just concentrate on what I am looking for. You can always ask on map dowsing if it is a power line or most of the maps show
power lines.
And yes it is better to have someone else hid your practice items.
One last word to ALL treasure hunters. Have an agreement in writing and signed with landowners before you try a recovery. You did all the work
and now he won't let you dig the 2nd target. I bet he digs there while you aren't around. Doesn't seem fair and it isn't.
Good hunting,
Rich

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Pawpaw, as it seems, it does take lots of practice. As I see it there are two kinds of dowsing, physical and mental. Physical dowsing is on site dowsing, like looking for water, using a witness (such as a gold coin) etc. Mental dowsing is map dowsing, asking questions etc. and I consider it to be more of an ESP thing. In mental dowsing you can ask question any question you want, such as "Is this a ghost signal? Does the pipe have coins in it? Is the lost person still alive? Did he have the money with him at this location?" There seems to be no limits to distance, time frame, age of photo, etc in mental dowsing, but it takes a lot more practice before becoming at all proficient. You are right to dowse in the field to check map dowsing. Incidentally I don't get signals from power lines, I just never think of them and just concentrate on what I am looking for. You can always ask on map dowsing if it is a power line or most of the maps show power lines. And yes it is better to have someone else hid your practice items. One last word to ALL treasure hunters. Have an agreement in writing and signed with landowners before you try a recovery. You did all the work and now he won't let you dig the 2nd target. I bet he digs there while you aren't around. Doesn't seem fair and it isn't. Good hunting, Rich

My neighbor is actually my detecting partner. He didn't dig the 2nd target yet because we both sort of lost faith after the first target turned out to be the empty pipe. He did say that he would dig it. We are both learning as we go. I did not expect him to share the find with me either. I was only wanting to verify that dowsing works. I believe in dowsing but when dowsing a hybrid map on google earth and looking down through big trees, it is difficult to pinpoint. I think we found that the empty pipe was actually the wrong target as we found another one 10 feet away that most likely is the target indicated when dowsing. I am sure we will dig it when we get time. We want to see if there is a pipe with coins.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Pawpaw,
Sometimes dowsing is like looking for something on the Internet, you could find either the pipe of the coins. Just try dowsing for
coins and after many tries you will keep improving. Just like metal detectors, not every signal is treasure.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread