Cache Recovery from a creek bed

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pawpaw, Sometimes dowsing is like looking for something on the Internet, you could find either the pipe of the coins. Just try dowsing for coins and after many tries you will keep improving. Just like metal detectors, not every signal is treasure. Rich

So true. I convinced myself
that at least dowsing told me there was a pipe. Even my detector could not Id a pipe before digging the targets

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
you can say that again. I hunted for 4 hours and got the back ache which lasted for 4 days. Hard to believe I used to dig fox holes arm pit deep, 2 bayonets wide and an m16 and a half long with no problems.

I have a letter from a Marine Corps Uncle, sent from Guam, and he said he could dig a fox hole using a shovel the size of a table spoon in 3 seconds flat. It's just motivation more than anything else.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
I have a letter from a Marine Corps Uncle, sent from Guam, and he said he could dig a fox hole using a shovel the size of a table spoon in 3 seconds flat. It's just motivation more than anything else.

Like when someone's shooting at you?

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
You could make a coffer dam around the site location, perhaps using pieces of plywood and driving into stream bed or shoring up with rocks....use this to divert water, dry out site....another possibility is a dredge or pump to muck everything out but that's going to be noisy.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Depending on the size of the area, perhaps a 55-gal. oil drum with the top and bottom taken out would work as a coffer dam. A pump would remove the water and lower the drum. Probably a good idea to have a screen where the water and material exits the pump.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So still no cashe?

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the Austin area the thing about Texas depending on location, you have to pretty much dig using a jack hammer or a backhoe to dig any hole unless you plan on using a pick, shovel, and a lot of man hours to dig just a 2 feet by 2 feet hole! The calichi is bad in some areas it is like cement!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
guessing he found it and forgot to tell us!! just be greatful that he started the thread that he found it!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not saying he was wrong or lying, but isn't it curious that over 10k have viewed a thread with no proof at all? just a statement?

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guessing he found it and forgot to tell us!! just be greatful that he started the thread that he found it!!

Actually if you have dug in Texas dirt, especially by pick, shovel, and manuel labour you know it can be back breaking and take a long time. I figure by this time he should be about 4 feet down and 4 feet across in the calichi dirt. Give him another 2 months and he should be at 10 feet and we should hear fom him by then! Unless he concks out and can't get out of the hole! Hopefully he cut steps into the side of the hole so he can get out!:evil6:

OP
OP
gfordtx

gfordtx

Jul 16, 2013
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 + Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I decided not to pursue it...

L

l2hunt

To bad you're not pursuing the cache ,but that's totally you're decision! If you decide to go for it some day, let us know:icon_thumright:

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm a landscaper so I've done my time with pick and shovel! Thinking I 'had it down', I had a nice learning moment years back with my first cache hunt when attempting to dig in the boonies! It's no joke! Maybe that signal wasn't really a signal...maybe I should wait for dryer/wetter, colder/hotter conditions to see if I still get a signal, or feel like digging.. Lol! Heck, I have permission to use equipment on one site and still haven't tried it! It's an awful lot like work, but what if..?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U can take pics with iPhones just make sure the location service with photos is off within the settings.
For ANY pictures get a program to edit or remove the EXIF data from the pics such as Exif Pilot (freeware) You can check your pics just to make sure you have the camera GPS off. Or add a location / notes if you want.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Once I get a signal, I have to know what it is. That's how you build your knowledge of what you detector is telling you. I have to abmitt though that I have left unknown signals under tree roots. Frank five star.png
STILL LIFE-7 014-2.jpg

Maka

Greenie
Nov 17, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking out loud.
Id consider using the water flow to help you excavate. Disturb the mud above your Cache and let the water carry it away. Alternately, create a siphon and vacuum the mud out.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get permission or think it's worth the trouble Have you thought about rigging up a small dredge? Instead of a sluice box replace it with a basket made from 1/2" expanded metal. Made a basket for mine years back & it worked great for a beach where everything got flushed up against metal storm drain pipe. The biggest mistake I made was using chicken wire. It was on a bent conduit frame & the sluice and basket were interchangeable by sliding on two piece's of conduit. The whole thing floated on inner tubes since the plastic floats weren't around yet. Add a stick or piece of conduit & you can reach around & under without getting completely wet. With what's available now days it'd be a breeze to throw together!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread