Buried Silver cache question

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read that silver spoons were used to feed infants and that a Silver dollar was often placed on a new born baby's bellybutton, due to the anti-bacteria propers of silver. If silver has some anti-bacteria properties, Would it stunt the growth of Grass if buried fairly shallow? Would about agallon of silver dollars buried at at unknow depth, lets say 2 to 4 inches, in saddle bags or some other type of container that would decay over time, would they then stunt the growth of grass or weeds, to the extent that you could notice it ? What do you think?

OP
OP
CaptJohn

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look in Todays Finds, "how long do bill last in the dirt" what happened here might be due to the properties of silver.

S

stefen

Intriguing question...but no, if that was so, then there would not be any silver dimes, quarters, half's, etc to be found because the dead spots in the grass would have given their locations away.

To test this theory just take a handful of silver coins and drop them on your lawn and look for the eventual dead spots.

For anyone that wants to test this theory, bring a lunch because its going to be a long wait.

OP
OP
CaptJohn

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, But not just individual coins, grass would over come that small size easy, I mean a gallon can size or in saddle bags, and not just lawn grass, grass or weeds a foot tall.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Siliver will not stunt the growth of grass-if anything it would promote the growth.
Peg Leg

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cap.......answer to your question...........a flat out NO. A cache of silver coins or any coin cache regardless of what container it was put in...............has NO bearing on the grass, weeds decaying as to be the cache to be noticed...........Rich

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg Leg said:
Siliver will not stunt the growth of grass-if anything it would promote the growth.
Peg Leg

That could very well be a fact. Several years ago I was coinshooting an old, abandoned school yard that had a bumper crop of war nickels and a few dimes. Every nickel was under a clump of wire grass. I haven't noticed that in other places so I can't be sure if that place had an additional " something ".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread