Buried Military Tank

What does a military tank buried more or less 8 ft deep indicate?

• Total voters

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006
The Japanese did that regularly, On Tarawa, they buried the type 99 tanks to the turrets, turning them into 360 degree pillboxes. Read where it was done on Iwo Jima, Pellilu also. HH

Tanks were buried as a matter of military practice by the Japanese. Several were buried in Barrio Kapitolyo, Pasig, Metro Manila.

Z

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006
Here we go again! The tank is of course filled with treasure, or it points to treasure. Everything in the Philippines is a marker for treasure, everyone knows that!
Oh, if only someone would bank roll me, I just dont have the money for a backhoe, or even a shovel.

Yes weenie head, exactly. Check my posts at the start of this thread. We dug the tank up in 2008. I have a beach house on Cebu now. I only return to this forum about 3 times a year now.

Z

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes weenie head, exactly. Check my posts at the start of this thread. We dug the tank up in 2008. I have a beach house on Cebu now. I only return to this forum about 3 times a year now.

Z

Then you surely have photos that you could post.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
maybe it's been there a long time and looks like this. A.P.G.-TANKS 019.jpg

Or maybe not so long and looks like this A.P.G.-TANKS 015.jpg

Wings&Things

May 7, 2013
Oakdale, calif
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the mid 1950's I was part of a ammunition burial team - the area now dusk/geese aka water fowl closed area closed to the general public..and has since been flooded!..we buried the ammo, biggest rounds were 20mm Cannon about 10' deep..a Truck bured would have been about the same depth..but over the years there would be lots of bushes in the area as trucks have beds/cab which to collect water..I would guess a tank could also be a water collecting device as well.. good luck with your search.

Terry (The other old guy)

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All My TH'ing Friends
Lets get this back on the original subject. I was stationed at Fort Ord, CA back in 1979 through 1981 and heard the comment about a buried tank being found on the base back in the woods. What it turned out to be was a training tank pre WWII that had been driven out into the woods and found a soft spot where it sank up to its turret. The turret was later recovered for what ever reason but the body was abandoned where it not sits. The soil in the area although close to the coast is clay and once it becomes super wet it turns into soup. although the site is not quick sand if you find it in the wet time of year the ground is soft and resembles play dough. I think the US Army abandoned the tank as it was obsolete and no longer worth keeping in its inventory. This would be worth recovery as it may be worth rebuilding and placing into a Military museum. There are many items abandoned on US Military bases but a large amount of live ammunition is not an item I would be concerned about. Every US Military Base has a firing range, and many have impact areas that are marked 'Do not enter; This is an impact area' or something of the sort. If you have ever seen a sales paper for former US Military bases or property you will find a disclaimer that the property you are buying is 'where is and as is'. If you buy the property find out first what was going on there before the US Government moved out. You may end up finding abandoned US Military items including tanks buried on your land.
Just so you know Fort Ord, CA is no longer an active US Military Base but a training base for Reserves. This is a great place to spend time digging for coins, buttons, and all manner of relics. Please check in with the Officials that be and find out if it is allowable to search the area before you get busted.
Thanks
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

I remember digging a foxhole and finding an undetonated artillery shell in an area that was not supposed to be an impact zone. We called them short rounds.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a story on the BBC about a highway crew that found an old T-34 Russian tank from WW2,someplace in Russia,The turret was separated from the hull,but more digging found the hull and the tracks.They say it was burried about 8 feet down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions