Buried Military Tank

What does a military tank buried more or less 8 ft deep indicate?

• Total voters
S

sle

The area where the buried tank is located was settled/occupied by the family of the landowner right after the WWII. Since their settlement in the area, there had not been any earth moving /filling in the area.

Anybody knows what's this all about? Please tell me.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I don't know why anyone would want to bury a tank. That would be one big hole to have to dig and fill in. Not to mention a lot of dirt that would be left.
Maybe the tank was stolen by the enemy, to see how it worked (for possible new designs), and then they buried it when they were done. Just a guess. Hope it helps.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May have been buried to keep the enemy from getting it period. If forced to retreat the gun could be spiked but completely destroying a tank with nothing other than a bulldozer could prove impossible. My Dad was in the artillery in Germany during WWII and told me that if about to be captured or having to leave a gun it would be destroyed to keep the enemy from turning it on them. Monty

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
starsplitter said:
Well, maybe Patton rode in it. Or, they put the bodies from Roswell in it. Just kidding... obviously. Sounds like a weird situation. Why would you bury something that big? I mean, that's a lot of cash in scrap, right?
SCRAP!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????That's easily worth...well, a lot, to a museum or one of the, say, more affluent private collectors.

OP
OP
S

sle

Forgot to mention the location. The area where the tank is located is in the Philippines.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
sle said:
Forgot to mention the location. The area where the tank is located is in the Philippines.

That makes sense. Is it an american tank or a japanese tank? Good luck getting it home.

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
sle said:

That makes sense. Is it an american tank or a japanese tank? Good luck getting it home.
Rent a Uhaul. Shipping rates for that would cost some serious shekels.

OP
OP
S

sle

Likely a japanese tank. American soldiers didn't reached this area during that time. The area is in the south of Mindanao, Philippines. Just a neighbor of Davao province.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
For those who are too stupid to mark rocks a buried tank could be used as a pointer to a major cache. It could also be the final marker in a string of marked rocks. Keep looking in the direction the barrel is pointing. good luck and exanimo, siegfried schlagrule

welfred

Aug 19, 2003
Well, they are World War II garbage. I know one such area in Burauen, Leyte, Philippines where they burried a dozen tanks and trucks (either destroyed by the enemies or too old to bring back to their homeland after the war). Very good source of scrap iron, he..he.. he.. it now cost 6 to 7 pesos a kilo... as is... where is... you are very lucky if you are near a seaport, it can be exported to China.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sle said:
so how much you want to find it ::)

agentx73

Greenie
Feb 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Could be a buried tank like this one:

http://www.mil.hiiumaa.ee/2000_09_14_kurtna_T-34-36/

After the tank surfaced, it turned out to be a 'trophy' tank, that had been captured by the German army in the course of the battle at Sinimaed (Blue Hills) about six weeks before it was sunk in the lake. Altogether, 116 shells were found on board. Remarkably, the tank was in good condition, with no rust, and all systems (except the engine) in working condition. This is a very rare machine, especially considering that it fought both on the Russian and the German sides.

I would say if it is in good enough shape, it would be worth a decent chunk of change.

OP
OP
S

sle

I dont know if this could be anything beyond the scrap value of the tank or more likely tankette, or if this could be worth the try digging considering the likelihood of having a bomb, poison or anything on it. But, if i will try digging it, is there a way of knowing what's inside before touching it or opening it? Could a portable x-ray be used to "see" what's inside? well, just a wishful thinking and if somebody who has one will "lend" it to us.

I still cant figure out the cost of digging it, but considering the deepness and location of the area, it's not really expensive. Time? Well maybe a couple of months. Digging is easy but the preparation may take some time.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I know on many South Pacific Islands, the Allies left things pretty much as they were. Vehicles, Planes, Buildings, etc. It wasn't worth the cost of bringing them back to CONUS!
Joe

Scribe

Feb 18, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful of old munitions. The military loved to just bulldoze dirt over ordinance as a way of cheap disposal (a practice that is still done today in war zones). It doesn't matter how long the stuff sits there it is still dangerous.
Another thing to consider is if there is ordinance under there who has to pay to clean it up? I don't know much about the laws of the Philippines, but I do know that in the US more then one poor soul has gotten stuck paying the bill for someone else's mess because either they owned the property or they were the lucky finders so with possession being 9/10ths the law it became their mess by default.

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006
sle said:

The area where the buried tank is located was settled/occupied by the family of the landowner right after the WWII. Since their settlement in the area, there had not been any earth moving /filling in the area.

Anybody knows what's this all about? Please tell me.

In the Philippines the Japs would more often than you think, bury a tank up to the canon bbl.. Since they were in a tactical delay mode of defeat, tanks were throw aways. They were buried and used as an armored turret gun emplacement. When Americans came in, if the Japs would not surrender from the gun emplacement or tunnel or tank etc. American armored tractors would just cover it over with dirt and bury the Japs alive. My Father was in such a USG Military unit and did exactly that on Luzon several times. Quick and simple. I know of two such tanks found in Pasig - Metro Manila. The only thing found inside was dead Japs and some very unstable ammo. This same tactic was used in Iraq by the Americans in 1991. Many thousand Iraq military were buried alive in South West Iraq down towards Kuwait by American mechanized units. After the initial invasion, news agencies were barred from filming in the area to document many such activities by the USG.

Zobex

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006
agentx73 said:
Could be a buried tank like this one:

http://www.mil.hiiumaa.ee/2000_09_14_kurtna_T-34-36/

After the tank surfaced, it turned out to be a 'trophy' tank, that had been captured by the German army in the course of the battle at Sinimaed (Blue Hills) about six weeks before it was sunk in the lake. Altogether, 116 shells were found on board. Remarkably, the tank was in good condition, with no rust, and all systems (except the engine) in working condition. This is a very rare machine, especially considering that it fought both on the Russian and the German sides.

I would say if it is in good enough shape, it would be worth a decent chunk of change.

The tank that was recovered in Estonia was a gasoline powered tank. As you say it was a trophy captured by the Germans but when the war went bad the Germans had to retreat. Since the German tanks were diesel powered, precious gasoline supplies for German trucks was wasted on the Russian tank. There was no mechanical support or supplies for it, it squandered German gasoline and was an inferior tank to German tanks. So rather that screw with it, it was driven into the peat bog. If left behind the Russians would have used it again and if just blown up the Russians could have used it for scrap. So into the water it went.

Fantastic find !!!

Zobex

joe

Jun 7, 2004
Hello Zobex,

what would be the meaning for this one found near seaside at 1m depth with 2pcs glass bomb with neck tide with rusted wire and was on top of this tank cover ???lucklly no one hit it by shovel......... :o

Attachments

• tbgas.JPG
    tbgas.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 4,154
  • Image(480).jpg
    Image(480).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 4,051

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
joe said:
Hello Zobex,

what would be the meaning for this one found near seaside at 1m depth with 2pcs glass bomb with neck tide with
small nylon cord on top of this tank cover ???lucklly no one hit it by shovel......... :o

We used to have similar glass "bombs" at a factory I worked at. About 6" in diameter. As I remember they held a carbon tetrachloride solution to put out flames on wood/paper fires. Also esphixiate anyone nearby so they were pulled.

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006
joe said:
Hello Zobex,

what would be the meaning for this one found near seaside at 1m depth with 2pcs glass bomb with neck tide with
small nylon cord on top of this tank cover ???lucklly no one hit it by shovel......... :o

Sorry, I am confused in the question. You say the glass ball was found near sea side at 1 meter depth and with two pieces of military bomb and this was above a WW2 "tank" that is pictured in your post ???? Is this in the Philippines? Is it the same tank mentioned in in the other post as being in Mindanao near Davao??

First, the glass ball does look similar to what is listed in the 1946 USG manual on Japanese booby traps and weapons. I got that then classified book from a retired US Navy man that worked on Mindanao. This type of glass bottle was used to carry every thing from flamable liquid such as a Molotov bomb, also acid, cyanide bomb and even biological weapon bottle. These bottles are found in China containing chemical weapon material, Japan built there chemical and biological weapon sites in occupied China so as not to contaminate their own land.

Japan did not to my knowledge have nylon let alone nylon cord. Nylon cord was used on American parachutes.

Do you have more details on this ??

I see you have a US nickel next to the bottle. That is a very small bottle. The only bottles for drink that we have found in the Philippines are flat bottom. If you are in Philippines why you use a US Nickel. Over there they are only good for making a washer out of. I can barely give them away and no money changer wants them!!!

Zobex

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread