Weird stuff found while hunting caches?

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
10claw and Austin and Frankn gave me the idea for this thread. Started out with us joking about the weird items we've found and then wondering how it got there. My weird items have been:

4 burner stove/range top-in the middle of the woods about 2' down.
2x2 tin ceiling panel from an old drugstore. In a creek bank about 3' down.
A section of 'old time' link fence about 2' down
A blacksmith hammer (head), a flatiron and old time woman's shoe at about 2'
An oil filter stuck in the roots of a huge Bois d'arc tree...again about 2' down.

That's all I can think of right now. Maybe this can be our virtual T'net white elephant Christmas party..

What have you found?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2# coffee can full of car wheel lead weights @1'
100+ beer cans near edge of 20' drop to river @ 11/2'
an empty box 3"x5" @ 8"
[/FONT]

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a garbage bag half full of Johnson's Baby powder, unopened containers, 40 or so.......family size.

Took them home, seemed fine, gave a bunch away, used some.......never figured it out.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I was searching for a cache in Catonsville Md that was hidden by Jock D Champlane ( spelling is probably wrong, to lazy to look it up) when My 2 Box sang out for the third time, Yep another of the old style aluminum TV trays ( pre-microwave editions). No I didn't find the cache. I suspect it is under the 25+' of fill for the school athletic.
Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the beach yesterday. It was pretty warm. I found a plastic Coke bottle on the mid sand, looked new and unopened. It was not there the day before. I drank it. Now while I was not officially "cache' detecting, I think this qualifies as a weird find. BTW I am not dead at this time from drinking from Coke bottle of unknown origin found on the beach.

chad68

Nov 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I found the Holy Grail, turns out it was just love LOL

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I found the Holy Grail, turns out it was just love LOL
Be careful. They have a tendacy to turn into spiteful bloodsucking leeches with nasty lawyers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not funny but one of my areas of interest has several old wells dating back to the time of 'interest'. One was dug up with machinery by a previous landowner-reportedly he came up empty.. Another is underwater now that a dam was built downhill. Well between drought conditions and a leak in the dam, that well became accessible again for the first time in 25 years that the current landowner could remember!

I located the well, cleared choked brush and even dug back about a foot of mud around the top. Stuck the detector down there and it went NUTS! More mud, more brush, a holy s&w moment with a snake, sweat, mosquitoes and all the good stuff...to find...an iron ring had been placed around the well to support it many years ago. Dang.

I've subsequently located one more 'lost' well in the thick woods. It's currently protected by a gigantic bird nest of spooled barbed wire and overgrowth. I foresee more pain in my future...lol!

Merry Christmas y'all!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Personally, I can't visualize anyone caching anything in a well. Too hard to get it back & you might mess up your water supply and in some areas that is worth more than gold. The outhouse is in the same class, with the possible exception of finding bottles. Just a thought. Frank... 111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree but hate to rule anything out! We still have lots of areas to search before we have to look there!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd hit the big one in my own back yard, but it turned out to be a huge piece of sheet metal, maybe 3 x 4 feet.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The outhouse might be good for pocket spills, since for some reason, not many people would bother to recover spilled change!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd hit the big one in my own back yard, but it turned out to be a huge piece of sheet metal, maybe 3 x 4 feet.

I did the same on the beach, thinking pirate chest, till I dug down in several places and felt the edges! Lol

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well while hunting an old foundation in AZ I hit a great signal in a garden area. I dug a coffee can perfectly upright no top though and no coin... Another time on a foundation I had a overload at the corner of the slab. I dug and hit a heavy metal flat plate... heart started to pump perfect place, perfect cover, NOTHING under it

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, here's the heart breaker! I was looking for those gold bars at Dents Run in Pa. I was following the old RR grade and got a loud signal on my PI. The story said one of the gold bars was cut up. It was about 8" down in that rockey soil. Thought I had hit it untill the chemical test proved it was bronze so I mounted it for the memory. Frank...
Ma and Pa clutch 475.jpg

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
WOW. Talk about a 'nitro'!

roberthathaway7

Greenie
Nov 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once cut down an 80 foot cottonwood tree, and on the stump was a 22 bullet that was shot into the tree 56 years before, from what I could tell from where it's zip line began and the trees growth rings. I had cut it in half. With a Stihl 441 chainsaw. Howabout them apples. Well technically I cut the top half off of it..
Not treasure hunting related, still my most random find though

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I was on the beach at Indian River Inlet in DE working my PI detector after a severe storm had cut about 8+ FEET of dune away. I was working right at the cut line, the lower portion. I got a strong signal. After digging 3+ feet down, I encountered a navy style anchor, about 2 1/2" long. When I tried to pull it up, I found it still had a rope attached. I dug down following the rope. It was still attached to a small boat by the bow eye. I cut the rope from the anchor. I guess the boat is still there. Frank...
AA garwood.jpg No it looked like a row boat!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The outhouse might be good for pocket spills, since for some reason, not many people would bother to recover spilled change!
Not just pocket spills. A long time back I was checking an old fallen down rotten out house. Kept getting a hit on the side and after pulling up a couple boards found someone had dug a little space between the floorboards & the ground to place a mason jar with coins & a bottle of booze aka medicine. In the other side? One highly P Oed rattler. Lesson learned, check the sides very carefully. Also, if there are gaps in the floor there's a very good chance of loose coins. My old partner carried a chain to slide the outhouse remains off to the side with his truck. Don't ever recall him coming up dry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread