General Pattons lost gold

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Look at it this way. Patton's base of operation was in Cal. near the Sulton Sea. (Niland). I have camped on his old base. it is now open to free camping. As far as Death Valley, I have camped there. It is a National Park and they run Patrols thru there. Frank...
MN  Stanton Az 04.jpg

OP
OP
Indiana_Jonz

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to take the map and info from my buddy and make a trek there myself and see if the large pile of rocks is actually covering the half track.
Walt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frank Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to take the map and info from my buddy and make a trek there myself and see if the large pile of rocks is actually covering the half track. Walt
That would be one hell of a find and the Gov would likely claim it all ( if they knew about it). lol Frank...
111-1 profileblk.jpg

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he is known to have buried many of trucks and tanks or what others but why would it have gold bars in a burid tank ? it dont make sense

OP
OP
Indiana_Jonz

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bars are not buried in a tank.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Where would a half-track of gold be hidden? Death Valley of course. Now that we know where we
go to why. Does that really matter? Only to historians and Discovery. Go for it.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The well-known area is always been around the Salton Sea area and part of it might be off limits um every now and then supposedly somebody was able to take a picture of something sticking out of the sand before anybody ever goes back Big Sand storm comes by covers it up so its pretty well known around the Salton Sea area

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, his old training base at the Salton Sea is wide open. It is near Niland and is called The Slabs now because of the concrete slabs that were tent bases. There is also a large water tank. It looks like those oil storage tanks. Many MH groups and individuals camp here because it is free. The land, about 2000acres, maybe another 0, actually belongs to the state teachers fund but just sits there. Nearest law is in Niland. It runs up to the Chocolate Mts. There is real fine flour gold in the dry washes. It is nice in the winter, about 70's daytime and 55 or so at night. The summer is a different story. Maybe 120 daytime. I have spent a few weeks walking it and found a way to extract the gold, but you work for it. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indiana_Jonz

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the map I have

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come on people, have some coffee and WAKE UP! :skullflag:

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Ha, it's funny I'm reading this now as I just got back from Camp Clipper. Saw Old Woman Mountain, passed thru Needles to AZ. You think it's at Camp Clipper? I suppose you could look at Google Earth for clues. I love that it's a first hand story.

OP
OP
Indiana_Jonz

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHKN-tried looking at google earth but the resolution is not good enough. I guess boots on the ground are needed.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take out the gold bars, and it sure sounds a lot like one of the other stories floating around a few years back. It's a well known fact Patton secreted away some "equipment" just in case there was an invasion. Haven't looked at my notes for this in like 10 years. If you're really intent on going after this one, start your research out in the Chocolate Mountains area. Check out your local surplus stores for military maps of the area not your USGS topos. You'll be amazed what's left out there.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure would like to hear the details on this one. I get out there every couple of years and this one sounds worth looking into.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about gold bars, but I have a faint memory of driving through the desert with my folks when I was 5 or 6. (around 1989-1991). We were traveling, and off the main roads for some reason. We stopped to relieve ourselves in the middle of nowhere, and I saw a pipe sticking up out of the top of a dune. When I ran up to the top to look, on the other side I saw the top of a tank's turret. My grandpa was with us, and he said it was a "Ronson".

I've been interested in militaria as a teen and an adult, and my memory of what I saw does indeed match up with an M4 turret. Before my grandpa passed away I talked to him about it, and he remembered it - and said that he remembers that there were at least two other vehicles visible in the low spot behind that dune. He said it was probably in New Mexico or Nevada, but didn't remember exactly where it was.

I've always thought I probably found part of Patton's buried armor, but I have no proof and no way to find that spot again.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No gold bars.

Some wreaked tanks and half-tracks were buried after being used as targets.
and most have been found and removed.

If you want to hunt first you need to stop at the Patton museum

General Patton Memorial Museum Chiriaco Summit California
DTC History

i have been hunting WW2 military Artifacts in the calif desert for 40 years.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Patton had a training area just East of Niland Cal. (Salton Sea area). It is now known as the slabs because of the concrete slabs remaining and a huge water tank. It is open to the public. It is about 20 K acres. There are many campers there during the winter, but it is over 100 degrees there in the summer. As mentioned above , it sits at the base of the Chocolate Mts. It is free camping. I have been there many times. Frank five star.png
A.P.G.-TANKS 015.jpg
No, this isn't there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread