How do i find evidence of an old outhouse

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Look at the old soils maps. They show building locations.

Generally, no. Back in those days (1800s, early 1900s), they didn't always map all the rural buildings, especially the out-buildings. At least to be recorded in the courthouses and saved for future generations. Besides, outhouses were generally rebuilt as they filled up, which may be every 1-3 years, depending on how many in the family and how deep they dug them to begin with.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Thank you but could you guys let the thread die out it is solved!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Derek just some friendly advice. And Merry Christmas too by the way.. This place is a discussion forum. That means people like to discuss things. It's not your personal source of information and the interest suddenly comes to a screeching halt just because your question has been answered. This is the second time I've seen you ask for a thread to die in the last couple of days. Why do you care if it continues ? If you're really tired of this particular discussion you don't have to open it when there are new messages You might still learn something new by allowing it to continue. Others may learn from it as well. If you're that determined to kill off a thread YOU have started you do have the option of deleting the whole thing but that seems a bit selfish. You're new here and eager to learn. But this place is made up of many members who all have equal rights to share information. It's not your personal reference source. I hope you take this advice as constructive and try to understand what I'm saying. I certainly don't need to be accused of "picking on you" again...

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
You are right sorry I am letting go knowledge and social communication, Merry Christmas everyone anyone else have any ideas

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Not every depression in the ground with soft soil is an old privy. If you start digging and you find a concrete cover over the hole you've found a modern day septic tank. They will also have better grass growing, etc. Alot of the same signs you are looking for. There will often be a metal ring attached to the cover for lifting it off and your detector will find this. Leave it alone and fill in the hole.. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I would have probably dug it up thx for that speaking of that the septic system in this house was put in before 1950 the county has no records on it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread