How do i find evidence of an old outhouse

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the house is still standing, go to the back door and look out 50 to 75 feet. Look for rectangular or square depression. Sometimes you can even make out the old path to the outhouse. If it is not obvious, get or make a probe and start probing . Outhouse holes are much softer than the surrounding ground. Good Luck.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the grass may be a bit darker in color

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Where the outhouse stood in back of my farmhouse, there's a noticeable depression in the ground. I know that's where it was because when I was a kid, I always checked under the seat to make sure there were no spiders there awaiting my positioning.....

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Thx I see a noticeable depression like drop 8 x 4 feet. Would that be it should I run the metal detector
Is it sanitary ?
I hope there is a cache $$$$$$

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thx I see a noticeable depression like drop 8 x 4 feet. Would that be it should I run the metal detector
Is it sanitary ?
I hope there is a cache $$$$$$

That's probably the spot. Should be sanitary. You will find out soon if it isn't!

sent from a potato...

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Where the outhouse stood in back of my farmhouse, there's a noticeable depression in the ground. I know that's where it was because when I was a kid, I always checked under the seat to make sure there were no spiders there awaiting my positioning.....

You had seats?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had seats?

No seats in ours, just TWO holes in a long plank, so you could bring a buddy. That way if one or the other fell in, there was someone to pull you out.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jolteon..yes that area should be very sanitary..that stuff breaks down fast in the ground and decomposes quite harmlessly-given that it has been out of service for quite a while. I did that research myself before my first privy dig. You did not mention how much of that 1802 property you have access to...but believe me-myself and MANY others on this site would LOVE to hunt that dirt,specially if it has been unmolested. So good luck..HH..and keep us posted! thx ddf

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe , there will be several outhouses since the home is from 1802! providing there is room for them , try using a probe 4' long 1/4 rod , push into ground ( as stated by others privys will be much softer than surrounding soil) good luck keep us posted

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 70s, I shared a log home on 11 acres of land with several other people {hippies}. $35 a month rent, running water in the kitchen, garden hose hanging over wooden pallet in basement for shower and outhouse down the hill beside the barn. The hole eventually filled up so I dug a new one behind the barn and shoveled about a foot of dirt over the old hole and rerouted the path around the barn to the new house. One guy that lived there was in a real rush to get to the outhouse and cut the corner of the path, stepped where he shouldn't have and ended up to his armpits in you know what. We let him holler for a while before we tossed him a rope and pulled him out. We sent him to the creek to wash off before we let him come back home. He never cut corners again!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Back in the 70s, I shared a log home on 11 acres of land with several other people {hippies}. $35 a month rent, running water in the kitchen, garden hose hanging over wooden pallet in basement for shower and outhouse down the hill beside the barn. The hole eventually filled up so I dug a new one behind the barn and shoveled about a foot of dirt over the old hole and rerouted the path around the barn to the new house. One guy that lived there was in a real rush to get to the outhouse and cut the corner of the path, stepped where he shouldn't have and ended up to his armpits in you know what. We let him holler for a while before we tossed him a rope and pulled him out. We sent him to the creek to wash off before we let him come back home. He never cut corners again!

Lol!!! That's priceless!!

sent from a potato...

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take some photos as your doing this...look at the ground when the sun is at a low angle to reveal the subtle depressions you might otherwise miss

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never understood the double seater. Who was it that you were suppose to be comfortable setting next to? The wife.....the kids....a friend that dropped by? Wow!

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Some will have brick or stone walkway to them. Concrete if newer. Look a coupe of inches below the sod. I've found a couple of paths of brick. I'd bet less than 100' from the house. Good luck.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
100 feet or yards the property is 30 acres and in the early 1800's according to the deed it was 150 acres

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread