Tips?

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a gray area ive found.. a lot of hunters are tight lipped about their spots.& techniques.. I found the older glenn carson books have a lot of cache hunting advice in them..most are out of print I think....Knowledge & research help a ton ..also this site has a zillion good threads ...Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help books I've read say baseboards corners of houses trees and depressions in the ground and old fence posts near bedroom windows but was wanting to hear from ppl on here first hand if anyone wants pm me, I'm not saying anything to anyone of what's in my inbox.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We would tell you, but then we would have to kill you.. :skullflag:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I would say look for the smaller, less talked about caches. You will have a far better chance than say looking for Capt. Kidds cache.
Now where do you find these listed, you ask. Check out United Stater Treasure Atlas by: Thomas P. Terry.
This 10 volume set has all of the US in it. You can just get the volume with your state. Actually, they were all here on the old T net. Don't know if they survived the remake.
Now these are listings. Some have details but you are going to have to do some research. No free lunch in this racket.
I just worked on one in there. Spent a year on it. It was worth millions. Hay, I found the two empty holes!
Good luck, Frank...-
111-1 profile.jpg
PS: all the cache, robbery, or ghost townes locations are shown on maps in the books to get you in the general area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do i find the towns i have the one for NC but i can't find any info online of the ghost towns he has listed I'm assuming they may be mining camps but where would i go and what kind of map would i need to confirm these mining camp /ghost towns?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
How do i find the towns i have the one for NC but i can't find any info online of the ghost towns he has listed I'm assuming they may be mining camps but where would i go and what kind of map would i need to confirm these mining camp /ghost towns?

Hay, it shows the locations on the map! If you can't find that name on Google Map, just look for the nearest town to it and work your way over. You can also try the map room at the Congressional Library on line. I have found old maps there with the property owners of old listed. Hay, that's why they call this research. You are going to earn that cache, no one is handing them out. Good Luck, Frank...-
111-1 profile.jpg
PS: There are also US Geoglogical Survay maps. Hay, the old ones even showed the outhouses and corrals. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm definitely doing alot of research reading quite a few books by Mueller and Carson and others as soon as i can buy them.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
neo,research the activity during the War of Northern Aggression in your area-many families hid their valuables as the Union approached,most was reclaimed after the War,but some may still be there.
Don't waste your time trying to find 20 iron cooking pots of gold buried next to a RR track-that tales seems to be lore. HH

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The war past us by except stonemans raid and the fort hamby gang which I'm reading about there are some revolutionary war spots but I'm trying to locate them as well as a few ghost towns in Thomas p Terry's treasure Atlas but can't figure out if they were mining camps or ghost towns maybe a local office would know but not sure where to go or what to ask for maybe an old geological survey map and i have to learn how to read it and match it up with my current location.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a gray area ive found.. a lot of hunters are tight lipped about their spots.& techniques.. I found the older glenn carson books have a lot of cache hunting advice in them..most are out of print I think....Knowledge & research help a ton ..also this site has a zillion good threads ...Good luck

I just checked out the Glenn Garson website (Carson Enterprises Book Catalog<bR>DETECTOR HELP) and the book is available again:

SEARCH by James Warnke.
A comprehensive book on finding hidden valuables in homes and yards.
Lists dozens of unusual places that have actually been used as secret deposit sites.
160 pages. Paper. $11.95

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Old homesteads on private property if you can get permission.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got an old meeting house some distant family own I'm supposed to be getting a key to the property been in our family for generations, probably late 18 or early 19 hundreds. The house still stands never been detected as far as i know.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean there is no 20 iron cooking pots of gold next to that well known RR track in my state? Now you've ruined my day.

Still enjoying your posts ECS. Your speed at research is amazing. Always a good job.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of caches are small. Most were hidden inside the home for convenience and secrecy. This means you have to investigate EVERY nook, cranny, hole, ledge, and item that doesn't match it's surroundings.

For caches hidden outside the house, look for places within view of a bedroom window. They could be inside any type of container from cloth to iron, so you have dig every likely signal.

Look at your surroundings and ask yourself, "where would I hide a handful of gold coins here?".

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome you have property in your family that hasn't been searched. Find out as much history about it as you can.
You just may find something worth a good amount of money.
You also have to be mindful of how life was during the time.

Are there any family tales of hidden treasure, it may be easier to get info on that.

GL. HH!

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only two tales of hidden money but one i couldn't find and even though the Guy who now owns property where it was didn't believe me and i could tell he didn't want me there to long haven't found the address of the second place yet but neither one is at this meeting house I'm going to detect as soon as i get a key.

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen several people say that pops buried or hid valuables that can be watched from the bed room window, but moms would hide things in the kitchens and where she could look out the kitchen window while doing the dishes, cooking etc.. btw, chicken coops were natural hiding spots as nobody would think anything of someone going in and out of them to feed the chickens, gather eggs etc.

Dec 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi im new here. well to those who are not doing anything at this moment, let me tickle ur mind! a ship, 800 ft long, trash with artifacts, china wear, antique coins, ming dynasty shreds, some intact, with metals japanese marking, munition bullets, main guns with rounds still intact...whew too much info. need partner with equipments and technical experties. location? mindanao. jolo sulu area.

O

Old Silver

I've seen several people say that pops buried or hid valuables that can be watched from the bed room window, but moms would hide things in the kitchens and where she could look out the kitchen window while doing the dishes, cooking etc.. btw, chicken coops were natural hiding spots as nobody would think anything of someone going in and out of them to feed the chickens, gather eggs etc.

The main thing about chicken coops is that the chickens would have been an alarm for any intruder who might be looking to steal your treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread