Grand Island, NY Treasure, any info appreciated.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello applecrack

I do not vouch for the authenticy of the story but maybe you might find some interesting information in it if is researched a little more????

In the early colonial days, Grand Island, in Niagara River, was the home of a Frenchman, Clairieux, an exile or refugee who was attended by a negro servant. During one summer a sloop visited the island frequently, laden on each trip with chests that never were taken away in the sight of men, and that are now supposed to be buried near the site of the Frenchman's cabin.

Report had it that these boxes were filled with money, but if well or ill procured none could say, unless it were the Frenchman, and he had no remarks to offer on the subject. In the fall, after these visits of the sloop, Clairieux disappeared, and when some hunters landed on the island they found that his cabin had been burned and that a large skeleton, evidently that of the negro, was chained to the earth in the centre of the place where the house had stood. The slave had been killed, it was surmised, that his spirit might watch the hoard and drive away intruders; but the Frenchman met his fate elsewhere, and his secret, like that of many another miser, perished with him.

In 1888, when a northeast gale had blown back the water of the river, a farmer living on the island discovered, just under the surface, a stone foundation built in circular form, as if it had once supported a tower. In the mud within this circle he found a number of French gold and silver coins, one of them minted in 1537. Close by, other coins of later date were found, and a systematic examination of the whole channel has been proposed, as it was also said that two French frigates, scuttled to keep them out of the hands of the English, lie bedded in sand below the island, one of them with a naval paymaster's chest on board.

Any truth to the yarn thats what ya need to find out?

Crow

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The 2 French ships were burned in the small bay by Burnt Ship Creek that seperates Buckhorn and Grand Island. They had military supplies and a pay chest.

Clairieux built the 'cabin' on the north end of the island. SE of present day Niagara Falls.

In 1888 hunters found 150 gold coins and 1,400 other, silver and copper coins dated 1537 on Grand Island.

There are many leads found for Niagara & Erie counties and others in the United States Treasure Atlas By: Thomas P Terry. This is a 10 volume set, but you only need Volume #7
Frank...- five star.png

O

Old Silver

Hello applecrack

I do not vouch for the authenticy of the story but maybe you might find some interesting information in it if is researched a little more????

In the early colonial days, Grand Island, in Niagara River, was the home of a Frenchman, Clairieux, an exile or refugee who was attended by a negro servant. During one summer a sloop visited the island frequently, laden on each trip with chests that never were taken away in the sight of men, and that are now supposed to be buried near the site of the Frenchman's cabin.

Report had it that these boxes were filled with money, but if well or ill procured none could say, unless it were the Frenchman, and he had no remarks to offer on the subject. In the fall, after these visits of the sloop, Clairieux disappeared, and when some hunters landed on the island they found that his cabin had been burned and that a large skeleton, evidently that of the negro, was chained to the earth in the centre of the place where the house had stood. The slave had been killed, it was surmised, that his spirit might watch the hoard and drive away intruders; but the Frenchman met his fate elsewhere, and his secret, like that of many another miser, perished with him.

In 1888, when a northeast gale had blown back the water of the river, a farmer living on the island discovered, just under the surface, a stone foundation built in circular form, as if it had once supported a tower. In the mud within this circle he found a number of French gold and silver coins, one of them minted in 1537. Close by, other coins of later date were found, and a systematic examination of the whole channel has been proposed, as it was also said that two French frigates, scuttled to keep them out of the hands of the English, lie bedded in sand below the island, one of them with a naval paymaster's chest on board.

Any truth to the yarn thats what ya need to find out?

Crow

What? NY had slaves? Say it ain't so.:tongue3:

Terra Firma

Greenie
Sep 10, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 250
Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting to Burnt Ship Creek would be a PITA for sure, but worth the trudging through the marshes of cat tails for gold and silver. There is a good trail that leads to the mouth, I have walked it many times. GL/HH

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was at Burnt Ship Creek yesterday and it was a very difficult walk to say the least. I have three Whites detectors which one is the 808 for deep finds. That was my first trip there and it's gonna take more work then I thought. Lol. I only live 20 minutes away. I plan on working this site all fall and hopefully some of the foliage dies off and then maybe get to some real searching.

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was at Burnt Ship Creek yesterday and it was a very difficult walk to say the least. I have three Whites detectors which one is the 808 for deep finds. That was my first trip there and it's gonna take more work then I thought. Lol. I only live 20 minutes away. I plan on working this site all fall and hopefully some of the foliage dies off and then maybe get to some real searching.

Terra Firma

Greenie
Sep 10, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 250
Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some help, I'll throw on the waders and hit the water! I fly fish for big carp up there in the spring. If I knew there was treasure to be found, I would have left the rod at home ;)

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would be more than happy to have help. I'm not the best the equipment I have and any advice or experience would be appreciated. I have the equipment, the research connections, the time and will. I just don't have the skill yet.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Maybe ill show up and help you guys.Are you hunting the water also or just land?I have my ctx 3030 for water and i have the cf77 or fors core for my deep searching.You gonna hunt sunday also?

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So far just land and Sunday might work as long as it's early. And I'm working alone right now. I started a thread a little while back about getting together with some people in this area. Maybe we can start with two and work from there. Heck we may not want anyone else after Sunday. Lol. And I would truly appreciate it if you could bring your machines and give me a quick lesson or maybe you can give mine a try and see what you think. I'm also looking for an underwater unit, I'm going to Sebastian Florida next year and I want to try my luck.

chriszyyyz

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2015
Western New York
Detector(s) used
ATpro Pistol Probe and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been very interested in this area for some time now.I have done a lot of research and figured a few things out about the area.

Last edited:

chriszyyyz

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2015
Western New York
Detector(s) used
ATpro Pistol Probe and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to this area.I know where the fort once was.I have been researching this area for years now.I know people have been there before me.They left me newer coins in the ground.But...they didn't find this

attachment2.jpg

Attachments

• attachment1.jpg
    attachment1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 320
  • attachment3.jpg
    attachment3.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 369
  • attachment5.jpg
    attachment5.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 236

Top Member Reactions