Forest Fenn and his treasure start on Canyon road near art gallery.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will just let your swipe (at the Paul Simon song) slide by like Clyde the Glide Drexler, Pecos
Bill. My take away is that you are (maybe baby) Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona With
the Eldorado of Paradise, Nevada 89119 on you mind.
Take it easy man. Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you loopy.

Credit where credit is due to The Eagles and "Take it Easy".

Possibly we can get back to Edgar Poe and the shadow on one of your better days? QRP

Closer to this Eldorado actually

View attachment 1145885

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done it tired and now I am weak.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Eldo. I was wandering again. Chew on this Poe poem a bit, if you will. I am presently in
tight focus on the mind game between the Blue and White and the Badgers at Lucas Oil Stadium
tomorrow evening. Good hunting to you Eldo-rado.

Eldorado
View attachment 1145890
Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.
Eldorado

View attachment 1145894
But he grew oldā€”
This knight so boldā€”
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.
View attachment 1145895
And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadowā€”
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it beā€”
This land of Eldorado?"
View attachment 1145897
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade repliedā€”
View attachment 1145901

By: Edgar Allan Poe
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

This is pretty cool.....guess it is fitting

perfectly fitting

My company was coined Eldorado Enterprises Inc., in the winter of 2013....

I went on my first Fenn adventure here after finding the chase in 2014......

Sounds like its a place to ponder, the land of Eldorado

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thaks again Eldo

I remotely detected (thanks to the poster Signal Line for that one) that I could count on you

Eldo.
"You may need a few more winkles in your horn cow-boy"
"Let me sleep on it
Baby, baby, let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it
And I'll give you an answer in the morning"

However, for the record, I did find your protective shield and finfer of caution photo mildly
entertaining.

By Willie Drye
El Dorado Legend -- National Geographic
El Dorado Legend -- National Geographic

The lust for gold spans all eras, races, and nationalities. To possess any amount of gold seems to ignite an insatiable desire to obtain more.

Through the centuries, this passion gave rise to the enduring tale of a city of gold. In the 16th and 17th centuries, Europeans believed that somewhere in the New World there was a place of immense wealth known as El Dorado. Their searches for this treasure wasted countless lives, drove at least one man to suicide, and put another man under the executioner's ax.

"El Dorado shifted geographical locations until finally it simply meant a source of untold riches somewhere in the Americas," says Jim Griffith, a folklorist in Tucson, Arizona.

But this place of immeasurable riches hasn't been found.

The origins of El Dorado lie deep in South America. And like all enduring legends, the tale of El Dorado contains some scraps of truth. When Spanish explorers reached South America in the early 16th century, they heard stories about a tribe of natives high in the Andes mountains in what is now Colombia. When a new chieftain rose to power, his rule began with a ceremony at Lake Guatavita. Accounts of the ceremony vary, but they consistently say the new ruler was covered with gold dust, and that gold and precious jewels were thrown into the lake to appease a god that lived underwater.

The Spaniards started calling this golden chief El Dorado, "the gilded one." The ceremony of the gilded man supposedly ended in the late 15th century when El Dorado and his subjects were conquered by another tribe. But the Spaniards and other Europeans had found so much gold among the natives along the continent's northern coast that they believed there had to be a place of great wealth somewhere in the interior. The Spaniards didn't find El Dorado, but they did find Lake Guatavita and tried to drain it in 1545. They lowered its level enough to find hundreds of pieces of gold along the lake's edge. But the presumed fabulous treasure in the deeper water was beyond their reach.

Raleigh's Quest

English courtier Sir Walter Raleigh made two trips to Guiana to search for El Dorado. During his second trip in 1617, he sent his son, Watt Raleigh, with an expedition up the Orinoco River. But Walter Raleigh, then an old man, stayed behind at a base camp on the island of Trinidad. The expedition was a disaster, and Watt Raleigh was killed in a battle with Spaniards. Eric Klingelhofer, an archaeologist at Mercer University in Macon, Georgia, says Walter Raleigh was furious at the survivor who informed him of Watt's death and accused the survivor of letting his son be killed. "The man goes into his cabin on the ship and kills himself," says Klingelhofer, who is trying to find the site of Raleigh's base camp on Trinidad.

Raleigh returned to England, where King James ordered him beheaded for, among other things, disobeying orders to avoid conflict with the Spanish.

The legend of El Dorado endures because "you want it to be true," says Jose Oliver, a lecturer at the Institute of Archaeology at University College London. "I don't think we've ever stopped seeking El Dorado."

So where is this lost city of gold? In his 1849 poem "El Dorado," writer Edgar Allan Poe offers an eerie and eloquent suggestion: "Over the Mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow, ride, boldly rideā€¦if you seek for El Dorado."

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returning to WWWH

Returning to WWWH webpage for another assessment.

So then, the jpg for the background of the WWWH site titled Sispistoo-1 appears to be of marsh/
bog-like ground with standing water. The elderly man carrying a walking stick dressed in attire
suitable for the 1700's-1800's suggests to me, Too Far To Walk. Then who is this man shown in the
spistoo-1 jpg suggest to the viewer? We report, YOU decide.

-Fenn Name Meaning:
English: topographic name for someone who lived in a low-lying marshy area, from Middle
English fenn ā€˜marshā€™, ā€˜bogā€™. South German: topographic name from Old High German fenni, Middle Low German and Old Frisian fenne bog.

The people from what are today northern Germany and Denmark who settled in England from about the
year 400 AD onwards came from the same regions and spoke more or less the same language as the people who lived in Frisia (as medieval Friesland is usually called to distinguish it from the
present-day regions with that name). Hence, a close relationship exists between Old Frisian and
Old English.

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Eldo

For some reason, yet unknown to me, you, Eldo, point me to this Evel.

"You are the master of your own ship, pal. There are lots of people who fall into troubled waters
and don't have the guts or the knowledge or the ability to make it to shore. They have nobody to
blame but themselves."

"But you come to a point in your life when you can't pull the trigger anymore."

"You can't say you're going to jump the Grand Canyon and then jump some other canyon."

'Those extreme-sports kids today are good, but they have it easy. Try falling off of a motorcycle
going 70 or 80 miles per hour on asphalt. Believe me, nothing equals it."

"Unless we do things in this country to slow down our population, slow down our birth control,
provide better water for people, provide power for people, we're gonna find out that the next wars
are not going to be fought over diamonds, gold and political things."

"My own judgment of how the world is gonna end is that there will be a country led by a madman
that will build a nuclear bomb with so much force, so much power, that it will be dropped
somewhere on the face of this earth and that the earth will lose its place."

Evel Knievel
Birth: Oct. 17, 1938
Butte
Silver Bow County
Montana, USA
Death: Nov. 30, 2007
Clearwater
Pinellas County
Florida, USA

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Eldo

Hay Eldo

Don't you let that kid ID over on the sisters thread rub you the wrong way man. ID puts me in mind of Pavlov's Dog. You know, waiting for his Master to throw him a bone when he hears the sound of the bell , whining puppy, only this and nothing more. I give ID credit for choosing a most appropriate handle tho. A bit like f. fenn asking searchers for his treasure to ring one of his bells ,he says he has buried, should one be found?

Good Day

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Eldo

Hay there again Eldo.

Just in case you are serious about "the big one".
In my judgment you two should set your sights on South Africa.

By the by, Eldo, how is your interpretation of Edgar Poe's poem, Eldorado coming along? Ride boldly on Pecos Bill. QRI

From wiki,

Gold's atomic number of 79 makes it one of the higher atomic number elements that occur naturally. Although traditionally, gold is thought to have formed by supernova nucleosynthesis.,a new theory suggests that gold and other elements heavier than iron are made by the collision of neutron stars instead.Either way, satellite spectrometers in theory detect the resulting gold, "but we have no spectroscopic evidence that such elements have truly been produced."

These gold nucleogenesis theories hold that the resulting explosions scattered metal-containing dusts (including heavy elements like gold) into the region of space in which they later condensed into our solar system and the Earth. Because the Earth was molten when it was just formed, almost all of the gold present on Earth sank into the core. Most of the gold that is present today in the Earth's crust and mantle is thought to have been delivered to Earth later, by asteroid impacts during the late heavy bombardment.

The asteroid that formed Vredefort crater 2.020 billion years ago is often credited with seeding the Witwatersrand basin in South Africa with the richest gold deposits on earth. However, the gold bearing Witwatersrand rocks were laid down between 700 and 950 million years before the Vredefort impact. These gold bearing rocks had furthermore been covered by a thick layer of Ventersdorp lavas, and the Transvaal Supergroup of rocks before the meteor struck. What the Vredefort impact achieved, however, was to distort the Witwatersrand basin in such a way that the gold bearing rocks were brought to the present erosion surface in Johannesburg, on the Witwatersrand, just inside the rim of the original 300 km diameter crater caused by the meteor strike. The discovery of the deposit in 1886 launched the Witwatersrand Gold Rush. Nearly 50% of all the gold ever mined on earth has been extracted from these Witwatersrand rocks.

Another recent study has claimed water in faults vaporizes during an earthquake, depositing gold. When an earthquake strikes, it moves along a fault. Water often lubricates faults, filling in fractures and jogs. About 6 miles (10 kilometers) below the surface, under incredible temperatures and pressures, the water carries high concentrations of carbon dioxide, silica, and gold. During an earthquake, the fault jog suddenly opens wider. The water inside the void instantly vaporizes, flashing to steam and forcing silica, which forms the mineral quartz, and gold out of the fluids and onto nearby surfaces.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ELDO can not reply for a few weeks...

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WWWH-ONE MORE THING

OK. So I visited the WWWH website today and noted that the mp3 file for the childlike voice has
the ID of Na-Deen. There is a Na-Deen facebook webpage for a female "hypnotist" with that handle,
Nadeen Manuel.

Also, when you visit the WWWH webpage, your IP address is captured by a third party service for
the WWWH owners use, and the countdown clock ending date has been changed. Cute ( clever or
shrewd often in an underhanded manner).
"Just another brick in the wall."

1979 Pink Floyd album

Last edited:

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLEASE DON'T LET ME BE MISUNDERSTOOD

I just had a very close call. I misunderstood the seeds that the "double agent" poster Eldo planted in my mind with his posts, I made a wrong turn and ended up in Edgar Poe's short story "THE CASK OF AMONTILLADO".
Fair warning, that is no place for the meek.

Moving on.

Some may remember the 1992 vice presidential debate and others, more in number, may not. Be that as it may.

"While Ross Perot amused crowds with his snarky comments, his running mate, Vietnam war hero Admiral James Stockdale, publicly struggled to transform himself into a public figure. The self-deprecating Stockdale famously opened the vice presidential debate in 1992 by asking, "Who am I? Why am I here?" The line, meant to poke fun at his lack of political experience, left viewers simply wondering whether he knew the answer to either question. Years later, Stockdale would recall the "terribly frustrating debate," telling PBS' Jim Lehrer: "There was never an opportunity for me to explain my life to people. It was so different from Quayle and Gore. Four years in solitary confinement in Vietnam, seven-and-a-half years in prisons; dropped the first bomb that started the first American bombing raid into North Vietnam. I don't say it just to brag, but I mean my sensitivities are completely different."

The words that follow, written by Admiral James Bond Stockdale In his book, "Thoughts of a Philosophical Fighter Pilot.
By James B. Stockdale. published: 1995

"If I were asked, what are the benefits of a stoic life? I would probably say: It is an ancient and honorable packge of advice on how to stay out of the clutches of those who are trying to get you on the hook, trying to give you a feeling of obligation, trying to get moral leverage on you, to force you bend to their will.............I could go on and say, It's a forumla for maintaining self-respect and dignity in defiance of those who would break your spirit for their own ends."

James Bond Stockdale (1923 - 2005) - Find A Grave Memorial

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news folks

The remains of literary giant Miguel de Cervantes have been found nearly four centuries after his death, a team of Spanish researchers has said.

ā€œHeā€™s there,ā€ historian Fernando de Prado told the Guardian on Tuesday, referencing fragmented bones found in the floor of the crypt. ā€œWe know that some of these bones belong to Cervantes.ā€

"Born near Madrid in 1547, Cervantes had requested to be buried in the modest redbrick convent after the religious order helped secure his release from pirates. When he died in 1616 ā€“ just a year after publishing the second part of Don Quixote: The Ingenious Gentleman of La Mancha ā€“ records show his wish was granted. But the exact location of his burial place was lost after the convent was rebuilt in the late 17th century."

Remains of Cervantes, author of Don Quixote, 'found in convent' | Books | The Guardian

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poem: "If you seek for Eldorado!"

To be frank with you and fair to Eldo, they did a pretty good job on the interpretation of Edgar Poe's poem "If you seek Eldorado"

A different angle:
---------COMMENTS----------------------------
Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight, cannot be f. fenn. Can be a TOTC true believer searcher.
In sunshine and in shadow, Searching in good times and not so good times.
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song, Tomorrow, Tomorrow,
In search of Eldorado. In quest of the chest.
Eldorado

But he grew oldā€” year after year the totc occupied him. Hooked on totc.
This knight so boldā€”
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadowā€” The subject totc true believer dies. Shelf life expired.
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it beā€”
This land of Eldorado?" Even in death the totc true belver continued his/her quest

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade repliedā€” deceased Knight encounters a supernatural spirit "Shade"

By: Edgar Allan Poe
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

supernatural: a manifestation or event attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More about the alligator-snapping-turtle

More about the alligator-snapping-turtle.

Like the SlyFox, we report, YOU DECIDE.

The inside of the turtle's mouth is camouflaged, and it possesses a vermiform (literally, "worm-
shaped") appendage on the tip of its tongue used to lure fish, a form of Peckhamian mimicry. The
turtle hunts by lying motionless in the water with its mouth wide open. The vermiform tongue
imitates the movements of a worm, luring prey to the turtle's mouth. The mouth is then closed with tremendous speed and force, completing the ambush.
My SWAG is that f. Fenn would refer to "worm shaped appendage" as WHET. What is your SWAG Frankn?

Alligator snapping turtle videos, photos and facts - Macrochelys temminckii | ARKive

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Mexico Department of Tourism's promotional video

Some may have noted the following in the NEW Mexico tourism promotional video in which Fenn and TOTC were featured.
1) Fenn identified a 17 year old Peggy Foster rather than Peggy Proctor as the first "treasure" he found. He goes on to say that 7 or 8 years later they got married. I wonder who Peggy Foster married since Fenn married Peggy Proctor?

2) When Fenn is talking about where the chest is hidden, note that he is sitting down when he says "if I were standing" where the treasure is hidden". May I point out that many if not most people can think back in their mind to a special smell from the past and clearly smell that smell. I know that (when I THINK about my childhood) I can still smell my father's sweaty work shirt from the 1940's and the smell of the mule as I harnessed him and attached the singletree to the plow.
Or the smell of flue cured Bright Leaf Tobacco as we removed it from the curing barn.

3) My SWAG is that f.Fenn can and does do the same thing with his memories. His very special place just may be is HIS MIND. HINT, HINT.
Further, my SWAG is that Fenn says WHET (to make keen or eager; stimulate) not WET (moistened, covered, or soaked with water or some other liquid) when talking about the chest in the subject video.

And yes, I am aware that "Forest Fenn told the Santa Fe New Mexican that nothing he says in the New Mexico Department of Tourism's promotional video is a clue or a hint." And?
I now call upon Sir Walter Scott the author of MARMION: A TALE OF FLODDEN FIELD. "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't let me be misunderstood
I have a question please.

Do you ever get a feeling that the driver of ttotc "boots on the ground" Extreme Party Bus, fell asleep at the wheel, the bus made a 180 degree spin while driver was "blacked out", and they are now going SOUTH, like A BAT OUT OF HELL, in the NORTHBOUND lane of the freeway? Just asking, only this and nothing more. Or is it just me LOSING MY RELIGION?

losing my religion:(southern term for losing one's temper, "flying off the handle", etc. Note that the R.E.M. song of this title has nothing to do with religion, despite the common misinterpretation of the phrase.)

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The meadowlark affair:

Have you ever heard a Western meadowlark sing in the wild? Theirs is a nostalgic song always reminding me of country, the fields, and my boyhood.
And yet, for some reason, f. Fenn seems to think it is cute to tell folks how (as a kid) he killed a meadowlark (and some other birds) with his BB gun, and made sure it was his sister who was served the (prepared for supper) meadowlark? What's up with that?
I'm just surprised that it was not a mockingbird. What's up with that? Addison Finch from "To kill a Mockingbird" would have given that Fenn kid a lecture for sure. Don't you THINK, OR NOT?
And yes, I am fully aware that Mockers are very agressive in defending their nest against ALL COMERS. Have you ever been chased by a Mocker during nesting season? Well I have.

ā€œAtticus said to Jem one day, "Iā€™d rather you shot at tin cans in the backyard, but I know youā€™ll go after birds. Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit ā€˜em, but remember itā€™s a sin to kill a mockingbird." That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it. "Your fatherā€™s right," she said. "Mockingbirds donā€™t do one thing except make music for us to enjoy. They donā€™t eat up peopleā€™s gardens, donā€™t nest in corn cribs, they donā€™t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. Thatā€™s why itā€™s a sin to kill a mockingbird.ā€
-Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

ā€œThe one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.ā€
-Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

I now sense that Fenn's Thrill is now approaching a wormhole in deep space and "I have to find my passage back to the place I was before."

What is a Wormhole? | Facts, Theory & Definition of Wormholes

Credit where credit is due to "Hotel California".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread