Need help explaining TM808 detector readings.

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was detecting in a very remote wooded area with my Whites TM808. As I walked I got a very strong signal without any prior signals. It went on for two feet and abruptly stopped. I went another six inches and got another strong signal for two feet and again it abruptly stopped. That was going east/west. I turn the detector north/south and got a strong signal this time they went a little longer but the same abrupt start and stopping points and signal strength. What does it mean when the signal just starts or stops? It appears that they form two rectangular objects in the ground. Do these signals seem consistent with how the machine would work? I just purchased the machine a couple months ago so lm very new to using it. And how do I determine depth if the signal just starts and stops at full needle? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,There are a few instructional videos on you tube for the TM 808, just enter White's TM 808. Hope this helps, if not let me know.Jon

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Could have been an old septic tank made of concrete or rocks and iron bars to hold it together. shortribs

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This land has never been settled before. It's also an island and very remote.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If my TM-808 did that and the area was remote and never developed, I'd definitely want to know why I was getting a signal!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would try reducing the gain. That might allow you to better determine the shape of the object.
Jim

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lifting the coil on a detector can sometimes help locate a target or out line it, try lifting the 2 box up a few feet.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The answers easy. It's part of the learning curve. Just get out the shovel and find out. You are there, we aren't. Frank five star.png
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like two different targets, the fact that the TM-808 sounded off for only two feet tells me that the object is quite small (for a two box)
THe fact that it sounds longer north-south also that it has more mass in that direction. Could be a small metal bar.

I know this reply is late but if you run into that situation again, dont focus on the sound. Look at the meter and watch the needle rise to its maximum value and determine what distance it maintains before dropping. That will be a more realistic target size than the length it sounds off.

Also run the unit on manual ground balancing, not automatic.

G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread