rumors of buried money.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The point I was making is that millionaires have those millions working for them not the
other way around. They don't go out at night with a lantern, shovel, flashlight and stash
under the arm looking for a place to hide it normally. Only paranoid eccentrics do such
nowadays. Banks and investments are insured unlike the olden days.

The guy I referenced was a gold coin buyer. He wanted to keep it away from his wife and
hid it in his girlfriend's yard not having the foggiest notion his time was running out. He
clearly expected to retrieve it at a later time. (info from girlfriend who died from cancer 3
years ago). He gave her some coins which on finding out her diagnosis called on the seller
to sell. Thus the provenance.

O

Old Silver

The point I was making is that millionaires have those millions working for them not the
other way around. They don't go out at night with a lantern, shovel, flashlight and stash
under the arm looking for a place to hide it normally. Only paranoid eccentrics do such
nowadays. Banks and investments are insured unlike the olden days.

The guy I referenced was a gold coin buyer. He wanted to keep it away from his wife and
hid it in his girlfriend's yard not having the foggiest notion his time was running out. He
clearly expected to retrieve it at a later time. (info from girlfriend who died from cancer 3
years ago). He gave her some coins which on finding out her diagnosis called on the seller
to sell. Thus the provenance.

Those "paranoid eccentrics" still exist. Most old rich people are probably not that way, but there are those few. It's not just a saying that some people don't trust banks, and these days I'm not too sure I do either.
The further point is, people like to look for these things. It's not all about getting rich. Yeah, cake is better with icing, but it can be pretty good as is.

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
Wow. I asked for advice on what to look for when searchin for a possible cache. I did not ask if anyone thought there was one here. Am I goin on rumors? What does the title say? I have had 8 different people tell me the exact same thing on 8 different occasions. I never knew anything about it until people started to tell me. Someone mentioned paranoid. Well for starters when I first moved in nobody in our city knew what this address should be. Ever since he first moved here back in 74 he had no mailbox. I guess he only had a post office box. Anyway my address changed 4 times in the first month I lived here until they finally figured out what to do. They literally changed all the addresses from here all the way to town. Also he owned his own business. A clearing and grading business. Had lots of employees. As I was tearing down one of the old sheds that was filled with nothing but receipts I noticed everything was paid for with cash. I also had lots of people wanting to know if they could just walk around the place. Thought that was kinda strange and told them no. I later found out that it was his relatives. Anyway, to everyone that did in fact give me some good sound advice, thank you very much. A lot of you gave me some good ideas that I wouldn't have thought of. To everyone that simply said there more than likely is no rich man who lived in a mobile home back in the woods, who buried his money. I would just like to say that I would imagine y'all to be the punk kids who busted other kids bubbles at Christmas time tellin them that there was no Santa Clause. Who freakin cares if there's a cache or not? What about the adventure? What about the mystery that surrounds all of it? What about just lighten up a tad and try to enjoy life before it passes you by!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright Gear head you asked.
First choice out of sight. That means in the trailer,shed, floor or rafters or between shingles , pipes ,drains, hollow timbers,dog coop, anywhere you are out of sight of prying eyes during the day.
Second choice, out in the open.
Under a threshold of an out building at night. Dirts always worn and exposed there just like off the roof in places.
Or try this yourself.
Grab a pair of posthole diggers and punch a hole at an angle going under a cement slab. Fill material goes on a piece of material or in a large bucket. Dig three feet in starting at a corner.
Pop a peanut butter jar under it. Fill the hole,pack it down and blend in the surface. Reasonably dry and secure from being stumbled on and easy to keep an eye on and relocate if not wanting to go into or not allowed in the trailer.
Now look around for other sites. Under birdbath, stepping stones;someplace easier than what you just did. Hey look a pop up sprinkler head! How'd that get there all by itself? Hmmm, looks like a vertical pipe under it and none to the sides.

Why grandpa kept his broadaxe under the steps I don't know. Humidity to keep handle tight,(setting it head down in oil dampened sand would have kept it cleaner) or superstition? or no one should be pokin around under his steps?

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
On considering the man owned a grading business and had employees leads me to wonder
about their observations of the way he did business. If he always paid in cash for expenses
they wouldn't fail to notice. But business men get paid by check not cash ordinarily. That
means he did use banks or a bank to get refunded.

Owner/worker relationships usually get testy, grudges are formed by unhappy employees.
I had a guy pocket my year's SS payments and didn't catch it till years later but when I did
I had paystubs to take to SS. So the man could have made enemies who on hearing of his
death raided his domicile.

This is just one example of how experienced cache hunters noodle before reaching for a
pick and shovel. Everyone wants gearhead to succeed in his search and hope he will post
his results, although that rarely happens. Most of the time we are left hanging.

Happy Santa Day everyone.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well if the shed was full of receipts, there were records of his transactions, so his money was accounted for.
I think we learned something here. Put all the facts in the original post!!! You get much better replies.
Good luck on your hunt, Frank five star.png
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

O

Old Silver

Well if the shed was full of receipts, there were records of his transactions, so his money was accounted for.
I think we learned something here. Put all the facts in the original post!!! You get much better replies.
Good luck on your hunt, Frank View attachment 1094568
View attachment 1094574

Receipts being found doesn't mean all his money was accounted for. Besides, this poster isn't asking for tips on treasure research, but on treasure hunting.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Receipts being found doesn't mean all his money was accounted for. Besides, this poster isn't asking for tips on treasure research, but on treasure hunting.
In case you haven't noticed yet, Treasure hunting requires research before you start the hunting. That is if you know what you are doing!!!
Frank five star.png
Frankn-3 Eagle_edited-2.jpg

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
That's why they call it cache hunting instead of coin shooting or relic hunting but any of the
three could result in a cache find or at least a pocket spill.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why they call it cache hunting instead of coin shooting or relic hunting but any of the
three could result in a cache find or at least a pocket spill.

No argument for that; without painting myself in a corner. :thumbsup:

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adventures can cost little or much, in the end it's what you put into, that you will take away from it~ whether it be richer or poorer.

There is wisdom in both.

O

Old Silver

In case you haven't noticed yet, Treasure hunting requires research before you start the hunting. That is if you know what you are doing!!!
Frank View attachment 1094650
View attachment 1094651

Which you obviously don't.
I know very well it requires lots of research, because I've spent many years doing just that. But what I said was, THIS POSTER wasn't asking for that. He was simply asking for ideas of where to look for a POSSIBLE cache.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly we all have opinions.

Possibly yours is right.
Possibly mine is.

Either way,
A rumor, a dream, a desire,
To search for a cache is one that may only come once in a lifetime.

The "Lost Dutchman's Mine?"
Or maybe something a little closer to home?

Any found treasure begins somewhere.

Where does yours begin?

Best Wishes,

Scott

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Which you obviously don't.
I know very well it requires lots of research, because I've spent many years doing just that. But what I said was, THIS POSTER wasn't asking for that. He was simply asking for ideas of where to look for a POSSIBLE cache.

What's obvious is that you don't know me. I have been researching long before you can imagine. Your eye can only see what your mine is capable of comprehending.
The OP had to get in the mine of the original land owner to know where to look. No one experienced in cache hunting just goes out to detect without research.
True the OP had done some checking around, but didn't tell the whole story in his original post. Frank five star.png
111-1 profileRED.jpg

O

Old Silver

What's obvious is that you don't know me. I have been researching long before you can imagine. Your eye can only see what your mine is capable of comprehending.
The OP had to get in the mine of the original land owner to know where to look. No one experienced in cache hunting just goes out to detect without research.
True the OP had done some checking around, but didn't tell the whole story in his original post. Frank View attachment 1094783
View attachment 1094784

1. How do you know the poster is an experienced cache hunter? After all, he was asking for ideas as to where to look.
2. How do you know the poster didn't do research?
3. Why do you care?

Please stop disrespecting other hunters.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
1. How do you know the poster is an experienced cache hunter? After all, he was asking for ideas as to where to look.
2. How do you know the poster didn't do research?
3. Why do you care?

Please stop disrespecting other hunters.

1-To the contrary, I know he knows nothing about cache hunting from his remarks.
2-The OP only mentioned rumors in the first post.
3-For the same reason I have helped out others on TN over the years. But I don't think you would understand that.

I don't disrespect other hunters, but I realize the truth hurts sometimes. I deal in reality.
Frank five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

1-To the contrary, I know he knows nothing about cache hunting from his remarks.
2-The OP only mentioned rumors in the first post.
3-For the same reason I have helped out others on TN over the years. But I don't think you would understand that.

I don't disrespect other hunters, but I realize the truth hurts sometimes. I deal in reality.
Frank View attachment 1094797

Mods, can you do something about this guy?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread