rumors of buried money.

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
I just recently moved into an old abandoned mobile home on about 3 acres, and have had multiple people tell me around town about the guy that used to live here tellin them he buried money somewhere on the property. I've looked for all the normal signs, hit a few spots with the detector, but can't find anything. He moved a mobile home on one part of the property in 1974. Then another in 1984. I have tore down and hauled off the old one, and found nothin there. Any tips at all on this would be awesome. I'm thinkin he buried it, and made no kind of signs or markers.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, my Friend.
Welcome back.

Georgia, I presume?

Best,

Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
To old silver, the one I tore down I did. The one I remolded and moved into, I haven't. Very little space under it!

O

Old Silver

To old silver, the one I tore down I did. The one I remolded and moved into, I haven't. Very little space under it!

Yeah, it would be a challenge, but it could be done. Perhaps the old guy wanted to park the mobile home on that spot for a reason. Might be worth a try.

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
I had considered it, may have to try. Just gotta suck it in, and shimmy under there!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a friend to hold the flashlight?

Best,

Scott

dixie bee

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any other structures on the property?

Getting caught up in the hype of Y2K, in the summer of 99, I pulled a sheet of plywood up from the floor of my garden shed, burried a 5 gallon bucket of "supplies" in the dirt beneath, then replaced the plywood.
Obviously nothing happened so I later retrieved the bucket, but, I still think it was a clever hiding spot.

O

Old Silver

Another thing to consider. If the old guy buried paper money and it's in a non-metallic container, maybe a wooden box, then all you will detect are nails/screws and hinges. You might want to detect in all metal mode, and dig all signals. Just hope it's not in a pvc tube. But then, that would be a good reason for burying it underneath something, like a mobile home, so it wouldn't get washed out of the ground.

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
To Dixie bee, besides the older mobile home, just an old work shed I tore down, but it was on a concrete slab. Nice name by the way. My sister's name is Dixie!

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
To old silver, I had thought those same things, and did hunt in all metal! Lots of trash!

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
One more thing I just remembered. He owned some type of heavy equipment company as well. I also found pics of really big earth movers sittin under the tall power lines that run behind my house in the mobile home I tore down. If he used one of those to bury it, I will never find it!

O

Old Silver

One more thing I just remembered. He owned some type of heavy equipment company as well. I also found pics of really big earth movers sittin under the tall power lines that run behind my house in the mobile home I tore down. If he used one of those to bury it, I will never find it!

Oak Island money pit.:laughing7:

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
Nitric, yes, lots of fencing. I'm tearing most of it down. One area he had ostriches. Beside that, dogs. Then out front in the woods is a really old barbed wire fence. It's all grown over with small trees now.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paper money in the US is printed with metallic ink, 100 $1's, 20 $5's, 5$20's, 2 $50's, or 1 $100 will all give the same signal due to the amount of metal in the various inks used on the different value bills. Some detectors are sensitive enough to pick up a $1 bill, and the bigger the wad the bigger the signal. So if you have modern US paper currency buried in a non-metallic container, it can be located with some detectors, depending on depth and other factors. The old Phantom detectors from back in the mid 80's were renowed for their ability to detect paper currency and was one of their strong selling points. Every detectorist should experiment with their equipment and ascertain how well they are able to detect bills, and how much it takes before their machine will respond. Those big poles you walk by when you enter certain chain department and super stores can read how much cash you are carrying. Cheers!!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
did you pull up the tie down anchors, modern day fence posts LOL

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Think "Outside the Box"!

The best place to hide something on your property is not on your property.

See if the neighboring property has access.

O

Old Silver

Yeah, if you have old fence posts, you'd better check them all carefully. I read the other day about money being hidden inside the post itself. I thought that was odd, but...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paper money in the US is printed with metallic ink, 100 $1's, 20 $5's, 5$20's, 2 $50's, or 1 $100 will all give the same signal due to the amount of metal in the various inks used on the different value bills. Some detectors are sensitive enough to pick up a $1 bill, and the bigger the wad the bigger the signal. So if you have modern US paper currency buried in a non-metallic container, it can be located with some detectors, depending on depth and other factors. The old Phantom detectors from back in the mid 80's were renowed for their ability to detect paper currency and was one of their strong selling points. Every detectorist should experiment with their equipment and ascertain how well they are able to detect bills, and how much it takes before their machine will respond. Those big poles you walk by when you enter certain chain department and super stores can read how much cash you are carrying. Cheers!!

Where did you come up with this?? I have been detecting for 45 years and never seen a machine that would detect US or any other paper money. The poles in stores can tell how much money you're carrying!?!? This is so not true I have to call BS on it!! Don't know where you got these ideas but they are unfounded in fact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions