What would happen if I found on a beach in Florida (land) a chest of coins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Public land is just that. Public. That is OWNED BY THE PUBLIC, not the government. Provided he broke no laws in digging the hypothetical box I say it's his to do with as he pleases.

I'm finished debating you. We will have to agree to disagree. Good luck digging your septic tanks and cisterns. As you follow other leads I hope you strike it rich one day. Since you're quite the upstanding, law abiding citizen, I am certain you will be able to post about it here. Or write a book about it. That would be cool.

Oh, and please see my post above yours. If he was trespassing all bets are off.

I am not sure what you mean by Public land. Is a public beach an example? It is owned by some sort of entity as all land is. We have a barrier island reachable by bridge. You can walk on and detect on the beach along the entire length of it. There are places along it that are part of a public beach. None of it is a state park but some of it is county parks. There are places where the beach has eroded and the private property owners lot lines extend into the Gulf of Mexico. There are three different cities within this island that own parts of the beach. It can get kind of confusing at times.

The OP (original poster) asked about a chest of coins on a beach in Florida. I know of someone that found a large clump of coins from a chest on a beach and turned them in and they were never seen again. If you found a chest on a beach and were to ask and keep asking anybody that you can think of I am sure that someone will decide that you can't have it. If it is in a location and depth that you can't dig without everybody knowing about it you better have a plan. Was this chest found by accident or did something lead you to that exact spot and make you think a chest was there? In other words was it a premeditated find? I am not trying to be difficult on here but the extenuating circumstances always have an effect on the outcome of anything that involves the law of the land.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The laws regarding found treasure are unfair and completely corrupt. Greedy politicians want to get their hands on your money.

If you do or did find a chest of coins, keep your mouth shut. Sell them slowly over time and don't frequent the same dealers. You found it. It's yours.

Never ever if I on purpose or by happenstance happened upon a chest of coins on a PUBLIC beach under some "Govt." control would I tell or allow or want the attention of any others. When I speed down the interstate I'll be damned if I'm turning myself in either. I don't want the attention either positive or negative. Maybe some other's just want the attention and "glory" but it's stupid either way. Nobody in their right mind is going to "turn themselves in" when they break the law. And this doubly applies when it comes to a lot of monetary gain from something that nobody even knew was present.

I poised this question awhile back in one of my threads about if somebody found 2 old leather satchels with a lot of gold coins. This find was close to them but NOT on their rural property by a undocumented cave. I proposed the finder had permission to be on the land and roam everywhere as nothing remotely is around. And I proposed some of the coins were a rare variety. What would you do? I received a LOT of answers.... but the majority were in a nut shell "finder keepers" as nobody in this day and age was even looking for them.

If and I mean if this is a chest (hope it is for you) please keep the Govt. OUT OF IT. Those that spout laws that it's not yours and this and that.... would never say that if they never knew. Same as the Govt. "official's". Official's will only give you attention which some seek and want. Take it and run.... you have harmed nobody buddy nor taken anything from anybody that is alive today.

If you don't believe this statement then just turn yourself in the next time you speed, push a yellow traffic light and blah, blah.... blah!

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it sits on city property then the city has ownership and control. If you then involve the mayor, chief of police and code enforcement (which I have done) and get them on your side they can cut thru any red tape that comes up. Why is there so much negativity on Treasurenet?.

I didn't realize there was.... Who cares about the mayor, chief of police and code enforcement to cut through "red tape".... if they didn't know, nor care or have any interest in finding it themselves then why would anybody voluntarily involve them? We're talking about a monetary gain from many decades or centuries ago. It's none of their business... period. There's nothing negative about that... it's called keeping what you found and not giving any of it to local, state or federal agencies.... period. Most of us just want to skip the attention because it NOT worth the headaches of those who want it or a part of it!

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have always heard that ANYTHING that you find in between the dunes and low tide is yours to keep. Under the right circumstances you don't have to tell ANYBODY.

?!?!?!? Bigdogdad, surely you jest. What is between the high tide line and the water is property of the people of the State of Florida, held in trust by the State. State of Florida laws do not allow you to "find" a chest between the high tide line and water and claim it as yours. You must report and file a claim. Its possible, but imho not likely they would grant you the claim. These are commonly known Florida laws. How can you be a treasure hunter in the state of florida, who prides himself on following the letter of the law, but not be aware that the law does not allow you to claim a chest of treasure beneath the high tide line (ok, so its the average of what the high tide line is.......).

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
For example:
Chapter 267 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

And specifically:

267.021 (3) "(3) “Historic property” or “historic resource” means any prehistoric or historic district, site, building, object, or other real or personal property of historical, architectural, or archaeological value, and folklife resources. These properties or resources may include, but are not limited to, monuments, memorials, Indian habitations, ceremonial sites, abandoned settlements, sunken or abandoned ships, engineering works, treasure trove, artifacts, or other objects with intrinsic historical or archaeological value, or any part thereof, relating to the history, government, and culture of the state."

267.061 3 (b) "(b) It is further declared to be the public policy of the state that all treasure trove, artifacts, and such objects having intrinsic or historical and archaeological value which have been abandoned on state-owned lands or state-owned sovereignty submerged lands shall belong to the state with the title thereto vested in the Division of Historical Resources of the Department of State for the purposes of administration and protection."

So as SOON as you discover a "treasure trove", which a chest fits the definition of, on a publicly owned beach, it is the property of the state. Could you convince them to "cut you in" on their property? Maybe.....maybe not.

Technically, finding a cob could fit the definition of the above. Its all about your own interpretation, and how loose your lips are, and also of course, how much you over think it. Heck, if you think about it hard enough, and you do enough research, I am sure there is a law anywhere that will exclude you from taking any treasure from just about anywhere. Personally, I find a coin, a cob......a chest, I am taking it. Could I be breaking a law? I have no idea, I don't even think about that, do the research, ask questions, etc. I don't view myself as an outlaw, I view myself as a treasure hunter with at least an ounce of brains in my head. You won't be a treasure hunter for long if you keep finding ways of putting the law between you and your treasure.

Now of course, if you find some huge treasure ship, its going to require a bit more work, you won't be able to do the recovery out of sight, so your going to have to get a bit more formal about how you go about the recovery, likely involve (cut in) the best lawyers you can find, etc. But if we are talking a chest........Most chests are not very big.....sure they are heavy, but the they aren't that big, and the finds can be removed piece by piece rather easily and carried away. Whats the difference between a 1920 quarter? A cob? A chest of cobs, a treasure ship? At what point do you start to involve the State? Well if your me, its only if you have to, as a last resort.

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I didn't realize there was.... Who cares about the mayor, chief of police and code enforcement to cut through "red tape".... if they didn't know, nor care or have any interest in finding it themselves then why would anybody voluntarily involve them? We're talking about a monetary gain from many decades or centuries ago. It's none of their business... period. There's nothing negative about that... it's called keeping what you found and not giving any of it to local, state or federal agencies.... period. Most of us just want to skip the attention because it NOT worth the headaches of those who want it or a part of it!

The "possible" chest site I am interested in has some issues that make it kind of difficult. I am not going to get into a long and useless story telling of why I think it is there and the depth. The location is on a public beach owned by a city. The possible depth may be about 8-10 feet. It is directly in front of a condominium. It is a very popular beach spot and you would probably on any given day have to ask people to move so you could dig. You could not do it at night. You will hit water at about 3-4 feet and have a VERY hard time digging much deeper without some way of dealing with the water intrusion.

If we were to start digging a great big hole (as that is the only way to get to that depth) someone would either call the police or code enforcement. You would have a hard time keeping beachgoers out of the way. I decided to try to get these government people on my side to help rather than hinder me. They think it is all really cool and want to help. They asked me that if they were to help would I share some of what was found with the city. I said sure how about 50/50. If we needed any kind of equipment like a small backhoe they would provide it and deal with crowd control. I want to put up a tent to keep prying eyes (and cameras) out. I want total video rights.

I am currently at a standstill on this as I am going in too many directions and don't have the electronic detection equipment that I need to make sure there is something there and exactly how deep it may be. I think the whole affair could become a pain in the butt but nobody said it would be easy. I am sure I would get lots of advice on how to go about this but the bottom line is you cannot do it secretly. I probably should start a thread about this but I have a hard time being nice to the naysayers.

I should add that I have never given them a clue to where this location is. Would I want to dig it up even if I could not keep it. Of course as I am a treasure hunter and am doing this mostly for any thrill that I can get out of it. I would try to convince them beforehand to let me have a share and if they would not I may not even bother. Depends on how I feel at that time. There are plenty of other fish on the menu.

Last edited:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Would I want to dig it up even if I could not keep it. Of course as I am a treasure hunter and am doing this mostly for any thrill that I can get out of it. I would try to convince them beforehand to let me have a share and if they would not I may not even bother. Depends on how I feel at that time. There are plenty of other fish on the menu.

Well, personally, I would prefer you just leave it be. If your not going to covet the treasure, then leave it in the ground for someone that will. Blackbeard would be sick to his stomach........White Knight pirates running around, digging up treasures and turning them over to the state. Have you ever thought of just becoming a state archie?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am currently at a standstill on this as I am going in too many directions and don't have the electronic detection equipment that I need to make sure there is something there and exactly how deep it may be.

Ok, so you don't know if there is something there and if so how deep it would be. But what makes you think *anything* is in THAT spot? I mean, you can't just pick any general area on a beach, 10-20 ft to the left or right and you miss it by a long shot. I would think, that if you were going to involve the city, state, whomever, they would want some reasonableness to why there should be anything there at all, so just saying that you have a feeling or a vision or whatever, may not cut it.

If you have all these treasures, so many of them, as you have expressed on here, why not just put them in a book? You could sell the book, and make a lot of money with those real treasures. Use the money to finance some digs. And when people use your book, to goto a spot and dig a treasure, you will have the glory, you will be all over the news, interviews, newspapers........the greatest treasure hunter in the history of the known world, accurately predicting so many buried treasures. I can't imagine how there could be any shortage of fame. After the first few pop, you could make sure you are on site as people do these digs, and navigate all the legal obstacles and otherwise, bigdogdad AGAIN shows the way to a claim! I am getting excited just thinking about it. Can I pre-order? Seriously, that's a book I would buy, I'll send in the video and pictures, signed Anonymous, and credit it all to you! Imagine Mel Fishers envy, all that hard work and searching, only to be shown up by a book with all the locations of so many treasures!

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, personally, I would prefer you just leave it be. If your not going to covet the treasure, then leave it in the ground for someone that will. Blackbeard would be sick to his stomach........White Knight pirates running around, digging up treasures and turning them over to the state. Have you ever thought of just becoming a state archie?

Blackbeard would be sick to his stomach? I will assume you are only joking. Or maybe you have watched too many Johnny Depp movies and think pirates are the good guys. White Knight pirates? Can you be both? If you think I am just some goody two shoes maybe I am. I guess back in the day I would be killing pirates and not glorifying them.

Covet the treasure instead of actually trying to share it? Are you and ECS trying to make me feel guilty? If you are you can quit wasting your time. You all can do things your way and I could care less what that may be. Probably involves doing nothing.

For the record if there is actually a chest where I think it is, I think it is more likely that it was put there by the survivors of a wrecked ship and not some lying, stealing, raping, murdering, low-life, scumbag pirates.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok, so you don't know if there is something there and if so how deep it would be. But what makes you think *anything* is in THAT spot? I mean, you can't just pick any general area on a beach, 10-20 ft to the left or right and you miss it by a long shot. I would think, that if you were going to involve the city, state, whomever, they would want some reasonableness to why there should be anything there at all, so just saying that you have a feeling or a vision or whatever, may not cut it.

If you have all these treasures, so many of them, as you have expressed on here, why not just put them in a book? You could sell the book, and make a lot of money with those real treasures. Use the money to finance some digs. And when people use your book, to goto a spot and dig a treasure, you will have the glory, you will be all over the news, interviews, newspapers........the greatest treasure hunter in the history of the known world, accurately predicting so many buried treasures. I can't imagine how there could be any shortage of fame. After the first few pop, you could make sure you are on site as people do these digs, and navigate all the legal obstacles and otherwise, bigdogdad AGAIN shows the way to a claim! I am getting excited just thinking about it. Can I pre-order? Seriously, that's a book I would buy, I'll send in the video and pictures, signed Anonymous, and credit it all to you! Imagine Mel Fishers envy, all that hard work and searching, only to be shown up by a book with all the locations of so many treasures!

Hey why don't you just mock me even though it is against TNET rules. Of course you look like you consider yourself some sort of modern day pirate so who cares about any old stinkin rules.

I have numerous reasons to believe in the location of this chest but I will not waste my time and text on you, ECS or any other party pooping, doubting Thomas, negative naysaying, know-it-all armchair treasure hunters.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
For the record if there is actually a chest where I think it is, I think it is more likely that it was put there by the survivors of a wrecked ship and not some lying, stealing, raping, murdering, low-life, scumbag pirates.

Whether the pirates did the murdering and raping, or it was done under a Spanish/British/French flag, does it matter? Surely someone got murdered. The treasures of the Americas were hostilely taken by force, basically a slaughter of the grandest proportions. Entire civilizations wiped out, languages lost........left with the entire Caribbean speaking foreign tongue and looking entirely different than they did before they came.

The sea farers that sailed under the above mentioned flags were also pirates. Taking spoils of war, stealing from the crown, etc. Just about every recovered wreck has shown falsely reported manifests to some degree. This is not by accident, as the Spanish were meticulous with their details and facts.

I would argue, that the more you zoom out and look at the world at that time, even as it is today, it all looks very much the same, whether your a pirate or a flagged vessel. There was no honest treasure, only blood treasure.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Signal, stop the mocking now.

Everyone, post by the rules or lose your posting privileges....

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey why don't you just mock me even though it is against TNET rules. Of course you look like you consider yourself some sort of modern day pirate so who cares about any old stinkin rules.

I have numerous reasons to believe in the location of this chest but I will not waste my time and text on you, ECS or any other party pooping, doubting Thomas, negative naysaying, know-it-all armchair treasure hunters.

Not mocking. Sure there is some tongue in cheek, but I meant it. If you have the treasures, and its fame you seek, your work is cut out for you. My plan would give you that. My plan only doesn't work if you really want the treasure. However if you just want the fame, then its yours for the taking. I also would certainly buy a copy and get to work ASAP on some of the many you have said lay in Florida. Whats great about it, is you don't have to be the one that breaks the law, or tries to navigate the complexities that stand in the way of the treasure. It would accelerate your quest to fame, in fact, it could happen rather immediately, you should consider it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, please end it now..... I want ask politely again...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions