K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please tell us more.......

I assume what lastleg is implying is that you can take ice and polish it into a dome of sorts to collect and focus sunlight but I will remind you that this is impractical seeing that Im going to be in the woods.

maybe you should probe before you dig?a can will feel much different than an axehead or a jar .
Please explain more... What should I use to probe and can you explain to me what the difference would feel like?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, probes are a cache hunters best friend. Use a metal rod 3/8 - 1/2 inch in diameter with a T handle at the top, being about 4 feet in length. You just push it down into the ground until you make contact with the object you are exploring for. With practice you will be able to determine what the object probably is, you can differentiate between rocks, metal, and glass without too much effort, just by the feel of the vibrations that travel up the rod to your hands as you probe and tap on the target. Probes used to be standard equipment for old time treasure hunters, but have been replaced my metal detectors, but they are a forgotten tool that still has a place in the serious cache hunters equipment stable.
Good luck on your search and I hope you know that if you find something with good value to tell no one. Cheers!!

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on your dig. I have got ox and horse shoes real deep before. You could even have a rail road spike or even the pocket knive that carved into the tree ? I hope its not, and you make a great find.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
keith 04 ~ Did you see the movie "The Edge"? Hopkins asks Baldwin that question sending
Baldwin on a tirade. But the question remained unanswered.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not an empty beer can...
It is a full one...
Ice cold about now...
Enjoy :)
Careful not to hit with axe head when digging.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When in doubt just dig. :laughing7:

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I def will... This coming week it will be in the 40s and 50s and by the looks of long range forecasts, it will stay relatively above freezing from here on out. I will try and get to it next weekend! My detector doesn't enjoy the 40s so I wont be able to detect but 40s would feel like paradise right now so Im digging it... Keep checking back... Should be dug no later than the end of this month if the weather holds out.

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its official! Next Sunday morn, a buddy of mine and myself will be digging this site! So be on the look out for pics or even video! Even if its total garbage Ill post results.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they use to hang a plumb bob from an nail on overhead branch then bury the goods, then reach up and take the plumb bob off the limb ..that way they could always come back and rehang a plumb bob and know exactly where to dig. those old timers where pretty sharp! Of course the limb would be pretty high now if they never came back(1920s) but if the nail is there or a scar where the nail was still shows you are on to something.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they use to hang a plumb bob from an nail on overhead branch then bury the goods, then reach up and take the plumb bob off the limb ..that way they could always come back and rehang a plumb bob and know exactly where to dig. those old timers where pretty sharp! Of course the limb would be pretty high now if they never came back(1920s) but if the nail is there or a scar where the nail was still shows you are on to something.

Existing tree branches will never "move" any higher than where they were when they formed, regardless of type of tree. Branches do not move up as the tree grows. they generally get thicker and stronger, but will remain at the same height.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to know- I stand corrected in the logic of the branches being higher up.....if they are the same height after almost 100 years it will make it easier to look for the nails or scaring.

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, sry for the delay in update... Hers the deal... Went out there with a buddy of mine. We found the hole I started and the soil was dig-able in the hole. We scanned the hole again to make sure there hadn't been any other diggers out there... Yes! it was still there so we started excavating the hole further. 12in, 15, 18 and finally had to stop at around 2 1/2 foot mark cause we couldn't reach it with the half size shovel. So I laid on my belly with arm fully extended in the hole, using my gator to give my just a few more inches. Stuck the pin pointer in and nothing... We tried to enlarge the hole but wouldn't it figure that all the dirt around the hole was rock solid frozen still :BangHead: But The detector was still hitting high. So we had to face the fact that we had to come back. So we loosely filled the hole and covered it with leaves and decided to return soon.... So in conclusion, there's good news and bad news... The bad news is we didnt find anything yet :sadsmiley: Good news is two things. One At a depth of 3+ feet it has to be very large and two, with it being that deep my gut tells me it was intentionally put there and not something just randomly lost. :headbang:

My curiosity is even higher now! I will be going back this coming weekend and try again with a full size shovel. I hope the ground is dig-able. The first 3in of soil, judging by the edges of the hole was frozen so I hope I can at least crack the surface with the shovel. If not Ive got a chisel and hammer to bust it up. Cause after the first few inches are broke up it should be cake. Maybe an hour job?

Any how, Maybe Ill record the dig and post it just to add some excitement to this post and show you all what I meen buy DEEP!

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... Sry that took so long but the time has arrived to unveil what I actually found.... SO sad actually... Nothing more than a big clump of tin foil :BangHead: But heres some vids of the dig. I was by myself so I did the best I could. Sry for hyping that one up lol Oh well...

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, sry for the delay in update... Hers the deal... Went out there with a buddy of mine. We found the hole I started and the soil was dig-able in the hole. We scanned the hole again to make sure there hadn't been any other diggers out there... Yes! it was still there so we started excavating the hole further. 12in, 15, 18 and finally had to stop at around 2 1/2 foot mark cause we couldn't reach it with the half size shovel. So I laid on my belly with arm fully extended in the hole, using my gator to give my just a few more inches. Stuck the pin pointer in and nothing... We tried to enlarge the hole but wouldn't it figure that all the dirt around the hole was rock solid frozen still :BangHead: But The detector was still hitting high. So we had to face the fact that we had to come back. So we loosely filled the hole and covered it with leaves and decided to return soon.... So in conclusion, there's good news and bad news... The bad news is we didnt find anything yet :sadsmiley: Good news is two things. One At a depth of 3+ feet it has to be very large and two, with it being that deep my gut tells me it was intentionally put there and not something just randomly lost. :headbang:

My curiosity is even higher now! I will be going back this coming weekend and try again with a full size shovel. I hope the ground is dig-able. The first 3in of soil, judging by the edges of the hole was frozen so I hope I can at least crack the surface with the shovel. If not Ive got a chisel and hammer to bust it up. Cause after the first few inches are broke up it should be cake. Maybe an hour job?

Any how, Maybe Ill record the dig and post it just to add some excitement to this post and show you all what I meen buy DEEP!

I said 3+ feet lol This foil clump was on a side wall :-( boy, dont I look like a noob lol

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here some the rest of the vids from that trip

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030, XP Deus, Gold Bug 2, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No telling how stuff gets where it gets. I was checking out a isolate canyon once. I was hitting zero trash, I mean nothing. Then I got a good signal. 2ft deep under what appeared to be virgin sod. 1970's mt dew can.....

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the target is near a tree, look for a nail on a branch where a plumb-bob could hang.

And if the nail is very very rusty? Back up a little towards the tree trunk....limbs grow....
Or just never mind us idiots that don't read the entire thread before inserting feet in pie hole.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions