Need Opinion of experianced finders of Caches

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need Opinion of experianced finders of Cache's

Hello, last fall, very late in the year, I was using every spare moment to detect because of the ever approaching winter. Now, this type of a situation would have to happen quite literally the last day possible to detect.
Anyways, I was out a nice spot Ive spent exploring. Lots of history if you look. Also an original, still operating rail line runs through the park, that used to be connected to the "Grand Trunk" line with many abandoned sections near by. Its a park by my house that used yearly as a fairground and when that isnt going on, its mainly a park for horseback riding. Now, Ive searched this area alot and found lots of modern change and things typical of high traffic areas.
The whole park is surrounded by woods. Now I was walking along the wood line and noticed faint tire marks or an old path of sorts so I followed it. First thing I noticed was at the other edge of the wood line there was a slope, where a lake was at the bottom but evenly spaced along the edge of the slope where Dogwood trees. Ive heard tips saying that people had been know to bury caches near dogwoods because it was believed that dogwood was spiritual/protective because the cross that Jesus was crucified on was made of dogwood? or something along those lines? So i always search around them.
I searched around two or three finding nothing really (Was noticing old glass tho) then I came to this one tree. It had a very old engraving on it that read "We made Love here" So I started searching with my Garrett GTI 2500 and I hit a very large target, off the scale and at 12+ in. I walked around the area in a circle to see if the signal bounced around. And It did slightly but only between 95 & 100 (GTI Doesnt have numbers but rather blocks that represent the number scale) So I figure that to be pretty solid.
Now combined with the way the trees WHERE placed, the size, depth and Tone/scale I decided to dig. I only have my little gator digger so it was very slow going... I hit 12in but nothing, not even with my pin pointer. I then noticed the time and had no choice to leave and pick my kids up. As I was walking outta the woods I noticed an area in front of the wood line that had been kicked up by years of horse riders. There were little pieces of old plates and pottery. Which made me even more depressed that I had to go.
After that it rained for around 3 days and then started to snow and freeze up....
So my question is this. With my anxiety going through the roof, just waiting for the first good thaw, can anyone maybe give me some insight on what this might be? Considering all the factors Ive mentioned or even from experience? Im almost 100% convinced it is a cache.

Last edited:

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
Natural Light can, guaranteed. Every time I get a good signal, it's always a Natty Light.

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I thought along the same line but, I doubt its a beer can especially Natty. I say that because of the depth. My detector says 12+in but I got a small plug down to about 13-15in and nothing with the pinpointer. I also dont think its a halo effect because a disturbance in soil will break up all minerals leeched into the soil.
The target like I said was next to a dog wood tree. It has to be at least 80-100+ yrs old so deff not natty can.
But I deff know what you mean about Natty cans and such. They usually hit high depending on how weathered they are.

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you never really no till you no. I'm in the same boat as you right now, but i'm already down 2 strikes. But my next swing is going to be a grand slam i just no it. LOL
Good Luck, keep us posted

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill certainly post an update when Im able to. Still a wait tho... Probably wont be able to get out till late March to mid April.
In the mean time tho Ive been doing lots of research on the land and surrounding areas. Lots of good interesting info on past owners and land uses. Ive also been able to place with some certainty two more search sites, which old maps say there were two houses when the land was split, then re consolidated to one property... Its going to be a really good season coming up. I can feel it.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find some historic topos and see what used to be there....sounds like a piece of metal roofing to me or part of an old stove.....ah heck, just go dig it up

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Axehead maybe? but whatever it is you WILL find out. I have found spots like this before. One such was a large tin can for a minute was sure was a cache, but nuttin inside
at all. Who would bury an empty can? Hope it's a good find.

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well CWnut, I have done tons of research in the land thanks to Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy ? One of most fav sites seeing that it can give you an Idea of where the homestead might have been (I love old home sites. WE ALL DO!).
What I have found out over the past few days is getting me excited and anxious. We are having a HUGE snow fall right now so it deff puts a damper on things.
But heres what Ive found out so far. The property as it stood in 1897 is massive. As I went further back the land was broken into three diff parcels of land. At some point the land was bought up buy one Family in particular... This family was making its money in the logging industry. On the property an old railway line is till there even tho its severely decomposed, I did some research on the stretch of line. It turns out that the small 10 mile line was specifically built as a short cut to make transporting lumber easier and to have a more direct route.
Now, heres where it gets interesting in my opinion. As most of us my know in the early 1920s was the depression. One of the biggest industries affected at the time was... You guessed it... Logging! And what alot of people also know is how distrustful of banks and financial institutions people became, leading people to hide and bury their money/valuables. And if there is one thing wealthy people are afraid of, its being poor. So Im hoping for the best.
So, I might just be hyping myself up here (Which I do a lot) but thats just passion not BS.
As far a roof, I dont think so seeing how its on a slope but the stove/stove parts would still be cool! Even an old axe head would be cool to me...

Also relicmeister, I have heard of people burying decoy caches to throw thieves off the trail. True you might not have found anything inside but you might have found something just as valuable. Information... If I where you I would go back to the area and go threw it with a fine tooth comb and dig similar targets as the empty can or even everything! lol

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the target is near a tree, look for a nail on a branch where a plumb-bob could hang.

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the target is near a tree, look for a nail on a branch where a plumb-bob could hang.

A plumb-bob? hmmm you have peaked my interest... Please explain. :-)

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Sure sounds promising, even if this isn't what you expect. Any old lover's lane, park or hangout, old pottery shards, etc. I like to use a rock hammer and a heavy duty screwdriver for the really hard stff. Good luck and fill us in! And yes, check the woods!!

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure sounds promising, even if this isn't what you expect. Any old lover's lane, park or hangout, old pottery shards, etc. I like to use a rock hammer and a heavy duty screwdriver for the really hard stff. Good luck and fill us in! And yes, check the woods!!

You mentioned "Lovers lane". In the original post I mentioned the tree that I found it under it had a very old engraving that read "We made love here". Yet another reason my interest is peaked. But sadly the winter is hitting hard here. at least 1ft of snow expected. :-(

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dump hot water on the spot and it will thaw the ground so you can dig.

Well maybe when some of this snow melts lol we just got dumped on. 12+ inches of the white stuff... Believe me that treading threw that much snow a chore within itself... I have thought of taking a small propane torch as well... Maybe I can combine that with your idea Jimmatt. Maybe take water in a gallon milk jug and heat it in the field right in the jug useing the torch... I know you can boil water in plastic so that might work very well :-)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A plumb-bob? hmmm you have peaked my interest... Please explain. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Hunt...8&qid=1423424702&sr=1-1&keywords=karl+mueller
Th'ers Manual.PNG There is also vol. #6.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great idea is to build a fire for some coco & hot water... the heat might warm a area where you might dig too. GOOD LUCK .

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe you should probe before you dig?a can will feel much different than an axehead or a jar .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread