Need some advise on locating possible cache

raykaye

Greenie
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,. I haven't posted here in awhile but I have been detecting . I've came across an old home site that dates back before 1918. My detecting partner and I have found silver coins in a farm field, the oldest date being an 1901 barber dime, and 1905 barber dime, merc dimes, and now we're finding silver war nickels and lots of wheat pennies. Is it possible that a cache could have been broke open by the plow of a tractor? I ask this because all the silver have been found very close to each other and some of the silver nickels just a few inches from one another. I believe we have located something with all the coins we're digging and I can't believe they have randomly been lost out of someone's pocket, I believe there is something more buried deeper or close by. I don't understand the date difference on the coins, very confusing, unless there were two houses on this site at some point? What is the best way to go about finding a cache? The detectors we're using are my at pro and my partner is using a ctx 3030 and mapping the finds. All coins have been dug in a circle of about 75yrds or so. Does that sound like a cache? Any ideas? Thanks for any advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very possible that you found a cache that got broke open and spread out. This is very common where I'm from and probably everywhere, old home sites are pushed out all the time here to make more corn field. Almost every field entrance that you see as you travel down the road was once the entrance to a home site and many people buried jars and cans in the past. It's no secret, just a lot of ground to cover. Use google earth to your advantage, sometimes you can still see ground disturbances and old foundation outlines. Your going about it the right way, plot it and then examine the spread or "tailing" as I call it. Remember, just because one got broke open doesn't mean that there aren't more just a little deeper that the plow didn't get.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 75 yard circle would make sense if you found a lot of coins within it, not just a few. When you come across a spread out cache you never are really sure how long ago it actually got broke open, large amounts of coins spread out over a large area in a field is because the way the farmer alternates the direction of plowing/disking over the years.

OP
OP
R

raykaye

Greenie
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the normal depth of a cache? Would they dig deep holes or shallow to gain access quicker? I believe we're pretty close to the old house from Google earth research, within 200yrds or so.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what i've seen so far never deeper than arms length,approx 2-3 feet to the bottom of the hole on average. I'm talking regular everyday caches, not "buried treasure". You have to realize that most of these were these peoples banks and I've seen proof that this went on well into the late 1950's.

OP
OP
R

raykaye

Greenie
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of some of the coins found

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The date range of those coins still makes it possible to be one cache

OP
OP
R

raykaye

Greenie
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! That's what I thought.

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
I've been hunting with Raykaye. There are two grave markers one 1918 the other in 1929. They are about 200 yards from the large coin spill area the coins are 1901 the oldest and the newest was mid 1940's we've found about 50 coins in this area. With about four dimes, eight nickels, a few Mexican coins, a couple Chinese coins, and the rest wheat pennies. So would there have a home closer to the graves? And if so you would need to dig all the deep iron?

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its interesting that the buffalo nickel isn't tarnished. If it was a cache maybe it was just broken open in the last several years.

OP
OP
R

raykaye

Greenie
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the buffalo nickel. It wasn't found at that site.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might not be a cache there. You might have just found a great hot spot to detect. Maybe picnics, carnivals and or big parties may have been held there in the past. It might be a old lovers lane parking area.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems too early to call this a cache sounds more like a hot spot. I've dug a few caches and were only at farms. Majority of the time location is key for a cache such as your typical fence post bank, tree cache, porch bank, privy bank. Ppl like to hide their caches where it may not stand out to everyone but its in was eyesight and identifiable for them. Unless this spot had a house right there and later burnt down or bulldozed doubtful it is. Could have been a fencepost bank at some time if this is a plowed field. We have been on many farms and pulled coins by the dozens in a relatively small area and thought cache but ended up with nothing but a theory and a lot if nice coins. I'm not saying stop digging I say dig till your arms shrivel up, I would. Nice finds and I hope im wrong and theres a cache there that will afford u both a new minelab 7000

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what i've seen so far never deeper than arms length,approx 2-3 feet to the bottom of the hole on average. I'm talking regular everyday caches, not "buried treasure". You have to realize that most of these were these peoples banks and I've seen proof that this went on well into the late 1950's.

Make no mistake, people are still burying valuables today.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make no mistake, people are still burying valuables today.

I know, I'm one of them.

I doubt that this is a cache now also but it's worth a deeper look. If you have a promising place to hunt keep going, you never know unless you dig.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Might not be a cache there. You might have just found a great hot spot to detect. Maybe picnics, carnivals and or big parties may have been held there in the past. It might be a old lovers lane parking area.
I agree with Dave maybe old picnic grounds.
Find any eating utensils ? lots of foil ?
Gary

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you thought about flagging or even using your GPS to log your finds? Will give you a good picture of where the main part of the cache is or where the biggest part of the hotspots are. It becomes real clear fast when you can see it laid out on a map!

Something else, you said this was close to some graves. That would make sense on a cache. Not many would think about digging by graves, bad juju etc. And if you were making a deposit, no one would really question a person on their knees praying next to the graves. Hope that gives you a little help!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with G.A.P. and Dave, likely just a hot spot. Seems kind if funny that if it were a spread out cache that there are no quarters, halves, or dollars. Haven't really heard of any real caches involving nickels, at the time war nickels were just plain nickels, not really worth holding. Only modern hunters even regard them as silver coins, the old timers and myself just call them war nickels and they do not go in our silver hoards.

OP
OP
R

raykaye

Greenie
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting feed back so far. Thanks for the replies. It's definitely not a picnic area, there was an old house at this site and we're digging within 50 to 100 yards of It. Here's a pic of the field and where I have the pin located is where the coins are being found. The grave markers are at the bottom of pic in a little clump of trees. The house stood just north and west of the pin drop.

OP
OP
R

raykaye

Greenie
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The low depression is not holding water at this time,

Top Member Reactions