Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was working today and happen to be near a man working for the gas company outside. He took this small box and placed it on the street and then took out a metal detector. I asked him what the box was for and he told me that, the box charged the metal in the ground so it was easier to find the pipes in the ground. Has anyone ever tried this when searching for caches? He said it was very easy to make out the size and shape of the item in the ground. The item was called Sure Lock.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting concept. The price will keep most of us from trying it though...

It might help locate a deep cache, so I suppose it's going to be based on what type of hunting you do and how much you have to spend.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 11.36.11 AM.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Utility locating, I use to use one when working for and locating for a phone company...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its the one I saw it follows a thin wire they have in the plastic gas pipe.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I follow the concept correctly, it relies on sending a signal (via a hard connection) down a wire or pipe so that the receiver can trace its location and depth.
So no, not useful for detecting unseen items. Correct me if I'm wrong??

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
See the one I was looking at didn't have a hard connection. I was simply a box with a wire arch. He switched it on and anything in that area got charged. He was then able to find the pipe more easily under the ground. Once he painted the street he shut the machine off and simply picked it up and walked to another location.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, sorry, my mistake. That's pretty cool then!

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 pc system your talking about is used strictly for pipe and cable locating. gas, water, cable and so on
for many years I used to operate them, sell them and repair them
you have a transmitter box that either sits over the top on the metal pipe line or you connect to the line directly via a clamp
This will charge the line with a signal that travels down the pipe line.
you then walk down the street with the receiver box and mark the ground to identify the pipe line.
I do not see anyway it could be used for treasure hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 pc system your talking about is used strictly for pipe and cable locating. gas, water, cable and so on
for many years I used to operate them, sell them and repair them
you have a transmitter box that either sits over the top on the metal pipe line or you connect to the line directly via a clamp
This will charge the line with a signal that travels down the pipe line.
you then walk down the street with the receiver box and mark the ground to identify the pipe line.
I do not see anyway it could be used for treasure hunting

Correct, I used them for years locating for a telcom company, unless the treasure has a tracer wire attached to it that the transmitter can be attached to they want find it.

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is a quote from its operating manual "One of the pitfalls the operator must recognize is that when the transmitter is
functioning in the inductive mode, other conductors in the area may also be
energized. When the transmitter is functioning in this application, it is energizing
the conductor with an electromagnetic signal. This signal is not only going onto
the intended conductor but it is also being radiated onto the other conductors
surrounding the transmitter.
These other conductors might include overhead power or telephone lines, chain
link fences, guard rails, railroad tracks, or other utilities in the area of the trans"

no direct connection to the buried metal is needed,it will find all metal within range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions