?Tips for finding hidden caches?

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. Im starting this thread in hopes of gaining some tips and insight of locating lost caches.
As it stands, in my certain situation, i have access to a multitude, of abandoned and long forgotten house places,pre1900's,with only chimney flues,wells and cisterns standing the tests of time. Ive metal detected all of them and have pulled a very nice amount of relics from the ground. I have found some silver and copper coins, earliest being 1820 LC.
I would LOVE the opportunity to pull a well perserved coin cache from the ground.
With all of this being said, it would be great to have insight on clues, and hiding areas around the homesteads as to potential areas to comb through.
Everyone is invited to chime in on the tread to help others as well as have a good chat. Thank you everyone and HH !

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near big boulders has worked for me!!!!!!!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work your way thru the cache hunting forum- all the information is in those threads.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were to hide your money today you would probably do it in a place that you can check all the time. So if you did not find anything within the buildings then I would look for strategic places that can be seen from the house. If you decide on outdoor search also take into consideration that you would probably hide it where no one could see you hiding it from a distance.

G

another technique I use where there are many small things is to use a big loop and keep it about a foot to sometimes two feet of the ground, that way it only picks up strong signals (cache)

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice post keep within shooting distance

S

stefen

Look for nails on the underside of tree limbs in the yard...

Drop a weighted string from a nail and dig like a beaver...er, dog...:thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well for starters -- look for old flagstone walk ways between buildings ..(look under the stones )... look along near by fence lines (post hole banks) ... look towards areas where a chicken coop might have been --(a natural alarm system if anyone was messing with the cash)...look for places where a old barn might have been ..(often in the corners )/,,, look for old privy spots and check wells as well...big trees , big rocks and other stand out features are always worth a look

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Put yourself in their place. If they were you, where would they have hidden stuff. Like said most are going to be in sight of the house for the general public.
Someone with a more then average stash is probably looking for a more out of the way place. That's when you have to have an eye for stuff that looks like it belongs when in fact it doesn't.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are seeing chimneys , check under the hearths politely and leave them as originally found afterwards , and on ledges of flues(carefully as to avoid spiders and other critters.).
An odd stone/brick , or one with worn or chipped edges and missing mortar could be suspect.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's one most don't think about. I have done a bit of bricklaying in my lifetime, so I was thinking. Right above the fireplace, in the chimney is a smoke shelf. The smoke shelf is just behind the metal damper ( a metal dome with a draft control door.) A lever opens the door on top of the dome giving access to the smoke shelf. If the fireplace was not in use, this is a good hiding place that few would even know about. Just a thought, Frank

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to think like the hider... Now picture the place looking like it did back in its prime, so you have a better look and feel for how it was when a cache might have been put down (if you have photos, even better.) Next, could or would you place the cache during the daylight hours? If so, where? What about at night? Again, if so, where? Are you sure no one would see you in that spot? Try to think of something that you have that is valuable to you, now picture yourself hiding it in that location, in that time-frame of history. Look in those locations first. This "mindset method" will give you more insight than you know.

2b.a.searcher

Feb 12, 2016
Burleson, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old places had stone/brick or stump piers for the beam floor system. My grandfather used to hide his silver in a fake brick pier that was accessed through a floor board. Never lost anything that I know of. This was 1940 to 1955. So check to see if some of those old piers look like they have loose pieces. Good luck, you got some great suggestions and some that I will try also.

indigo401

Apr 14, 2016
off the beaten path
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger (don't make fun)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rock walls, old fence post holes, large rocks, large trees, around a garden bed, under bridges,. I think it would be located somewhere easily seen from inside the homes windows, perhaps a bedroom, or kitchen. barns, coops, privies, see the land as it was, not how it is now. many trees and other features wouldn't have been there.
Research is important too, probably more so then finding good sites.
Who had access to these sites? did they have the means to bury a cache for later times?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I offer advice and I sell manuals written by me created from my long experience in the search for buried objects and interpretation of symbols, maps ...,
Alexskander, welcome to TreasureNet, your required to be a charter member to sell, please stop advertising you sell manuals, every one of your posts state such....

O

Old Silver

I know they're scarce, but if you can find old photos of these places, look and see if you can identify large, dead trees. Maybe those old dead trees were hollow. Can you match the landscape to the picture and find where those trees once stood? Were those trees located where the hider could see them from his window? I know such pictures don't usually come with treasure leads, but if you can find them, they can show you a lot. Sometimes you can even judge distances by things that are in the picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread