GOLD 72

Jul 24, 2015
CD Obregon Sonora Mex.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Colorado Gold Sticks Discovery Treasure Finder 900
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
? about the Descovery 2 Box Treasure Finder 900 Automatic

I hav recently recived a Descovery 2 box Treasure Finder 900 Automatic. Im new 2 this style of detector what im looking 4 is burried coins the story is it;s more than 200 gold coins and 2 bars.. The other they say it;s about 500 gold coins [[[more details in other post]]]......Any hints sugestions advice ect would be greatly apperaciated tks wish u the best of luck God Bless

Last edited:

History Digger

Greenie
Oct 1, 2015
Waycross, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300, Whites 4900 D Pro (black box), Fisher F5, Garrett Beach Hunter, Fisher Gemini 3 (Two Box), Thomas Electroscope, Whites IDX Pro, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the two box detectors I'm familiar with won't pick up a metal object smaller than a Pepsi can. Most claim to scan nearly twenty feet deep if the target is large enough. There was a guy who was using a discovery and found a v8 engine block buried 8' deep. Set the machine up on a couple of targets in the yard before heading to you location. Best of luck

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure that the man was outrage when he though that he was going to recover treasure worth millions of dollars.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TF-900 is a good unit, probably the best out of the two boxes. It is the same as the old White's TM-800 (new one not good)
You should be able to pick up those targets without any problem as long as you are searching in an area free of other metal debris.
Set the detector as per the manual, except keep the threshold toggle switch in manual, meaning you have to periodically manually balance the thresh hold with the grip button. Also keep the detector as close to the ground as possible. Do not expect the needle tu jump all the way to 100.

Good luck

G

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hav recently recived a Descovery 2 box Treasure Finder 900 Automatic. Im new 2 this style of detector what im looking 4 is burried coins the story is it;s more than 200 gold coins and 2 bars.. The other they say it;s about 500 gold coins [[[more details in other post]]]......Any hints sugestions advice ect would be greatly apperaciated tks wish u the best of luck God Bless

You may found 500 coins with a 2 box detector, but a regular detector with a large coil may be better. Hope you find this and other treasures. Good luck and good hunter, and please show pictures of your finds.

Last edited:

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my set up for cache hunting along with two back up VLF's. The two box does not get use anymore.

TDI-2.jpg

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the two box detectors I'm familiar with won't pick up a metal object smaller than a Pepsi can. Most claim to scan nearly twenty feet deep if the target is large enough. There was a guy who was using a discovery and found a v8 engine block buried 8' deep. Set the machine up on a couple of targets in the yard before heading to you location. Best of luck
I like to be rich, but for 20 feet, I would need a backhoe and with my luck, I would find only water.
I would not dig with a hand shovel.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have had 3 Two Box units since the 70's. My first was an old Whites 500 CX as I remember. Lost it in a fire or I would still be using it. My next was the Garret conversion, Ground hog or whatever they call it. It would only go down app. 3' for a 5 Gal bucket. Need I say more about that one. The one I have now is a Hays. I have found a .50 cal ammo box at 6' with that and some other cache items I won't mention.
I like the old, simple to operate units like the Hays that have separate transmitter / receiver units. You just adjust the perpendicularity of the coil offset, turn on the trans / rec, adj sensitivy and start walking. When you get a loude beep, the target is under your heals. Yea, you have to adjust the sensitivity as the ground changes, but for that 6' plus reach, it is well worth it. I have also added a bright red LED to the receiver box that lights on target. For large deep caches, nothing can match it unless you want to blow over $5K. Hay, I only paid $250 for the Hays. Frank

HC Beil a real treasure hunter. "Legend Hunter"
treasure hunter HCB.jpg

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
This is my set up for cache hunting along with two back up VLF's. The two box does not get use anymore.

View attachment 1246958

Your VLF detector puts out the same amount of power to the large coil as it does to the small coil, but the power is more concentrated in the small coil area so it just might go deeper. The large coil will cover more area faster, but I doubt it is going deeper.
Your 2 Box, on the other hand will go deeper , usually over 6' in reasonable soil. True, the 2 Box won't pick up something smaller than a softball, but that is a plus in a junky area. Your 2 Box gets it's depth from the separation and offset of the 2 coils.

I use my 2 Box for large deep caches and my PI in non junkey areas when looking for a suspected target under 4 feet deep.

Just some thoughts to mill over. Frank

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, I have used a Gemini 3, garret ground hog, Whites TM-800 (same as TF-900), and now have the TM-808. I have a test garden specific for cache depths. Different materials the shallowest bein a little over 3 feet. I understand the way the two boxes work and you can even get more depth separating the antennas. BUT, side to side comparison shows me that my PI unit with the 25 coil gets a stronger more consistent signal for all my targets than any of the above units. Using the same unit with the 12 inch coil against the 25 is not even fair. Tried and proven. I also run my VLF with an 18DD and sure gets more depth than with a 6x4, 950, 12". Those also tested on a small target garden. Remember that although the same power goes to the loops despite size, a larger magnetic field is created with a larger loop = depth.

Of course you will lose depth on small targets with a large coils, but I am not in that line of business.

G

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frankn, I have used a Gemini 3, garret ground hog, Whites TM-800 (same as TF-900), and now have the TM-808. I have a test garden specific for cache depths. Different materials the shallowest bein a little over 3 feet. I understand the way the two boxes work and you can even get more depth separating the antennas. BUT, side to side comparison shows me that my PI unit with the 25 coil gets a stronger more consistent signal for all my targets than any of the above units. Using the same unit with the 12 inch coil against the 25 is not even fair. Tried and proven. I also run my VLF with an 18DD and sure gets more depth than with a 6x4, 950, 12". Those also tested on a small target garden. Remember that although the same power goes to the loops despite size, a larger magnetic field is created with a larger loop = depth.

Of course you will lose depth on small targets with a large coils, but I am not in that line of business.

G

Here are my actual depths.
Whites XLT- Has picked up a license plate at 2'
Whites Surfmaster PI- Has picked up a boat anchor at 4' on a beach
Hays 2 Box- Has picked up a .50 cal ammo box at 6'down
" " - It will pick up a large object at 12' to the side in air.
----------------------------------------- --------------------------------
" Remember that although the same power goes to the loops despite size, a larger magnetic field is created with a larger loop = depth."
This statement is true, BUT, the larger magnetic field is WEAKER!
Whenever you spread power out each area gets weaker. It's like stringing light bulbs out in a series. One 100W bulb will give you so much brightness, but if you put 4 100W bulbs in series, you only get 25W of light from each area.
I worked in electronics for 32 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread