The grandaddy of all Treasure Puzzles FORREST FENNS POEM

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
It's a well known fact that sudden wealth (especially found treasure) can create far more problems than it solves. Let's take Fenn's treasure being found as an example. If you found it you'd have to do several things to be able to keep your find along w/ your peace of mind. Peoples' natural inclination when they come into money they didn't work really hard to earn and save over time is to spend it like a drunken sailor. First, you'd have to be disciplined financially to avoid attracting all kinds of unwanted attention to yourself. Another inclination for lots of folks is to want share their find via pictures etc on one of the tons of internet sites out there. Second, you'd have to resist the "LOOK AT ME" behavior that absolutely dominates our modern age. Another obvious consideration is that all land is either public or private meaning --- it belongs to somebody. Third, unless you happen to own the land that Fenn's treasure is found on you'd need to conceal WHERE you found it from everybody. The IRS, the land owner, the law, the media, the internet, relatives, friends, enemies, acquaintances, and yes even family members. Fenn has said it himself, but he stole it from Benjamin Franklin: "Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead." Few people (until now, oops!) know that digital pictures from phones and other devices can be traced to an actual physical location by those who want/need to know.... If possession is half of the law then the consequences of making your find known (intentionally or not) should be obvious to anyone with an I.Q. above room temperature. The truth is, I'd be willing to wager that not one person in 100,000 would be able to effectively conceal their find in all of these crucial ways effectively over time. The stories of smart & successful treasure FINDERS who lost; their treasure, their previous wealth, their sanity, their friends, their homes, their freedom, their significant others, and their health and in some cases their lives are as well-documented as they are sad and pathetic.

All that being said, if I found Fenn's treasure I'd spend it on booze, women, and gambling. Whatever I had left over I'd spend foolishly.
HH
-spyguy

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The last thing l would do is post a picture.
There are 2 correct responses to this. If you make a claim you should back it up with proof. Or.. if you choose to keep it to yourself (which would be my choice also) you say nothing AND show nothing. To make big claims without proof is just crap.. Just my opinion.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he is claiming he solved it, but that FF is a liar and there is no treasure. So, his claim is legit to him. With his claim there is no treasure. So, he has a legit claim to his theory.:icon_scratch:

Never mind! I don't know what I'm saying anyhow!:laughing7:

When I find the treasure! I'm not telling anyone! I will pay all our charter memberships though, when I find it, so don't hold your breath! That would be my only clue If I ever found something good somewhere. :laughing7:

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Everyone will know if I ever find a large treasure. I'll disappear never to be heard from again. The same will be the case if I drop dead or get the boot.. It's up to you all to figure out which is the case....

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
Everyone will know if I ever find a large treasure. I'll disappear never to be heard from again. The same will be the case if I drop dead or get the boot.. It's up to you all to figure out which is the case....

I've already disappeared.. well kinda sorta...nobody gives a rat's butt where I am!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already disappeared.. well kinda sorta...nobody gives a rat's butt where I am!

That's one thing about the net, At anytime you could walk away and no one even knows who we are!

Last edited:

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
HAHA! ever hear of a little thing called NSA? Believe me they know!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
?Don't know about you, but most people would quit thier job, buy a new car or pickup an change thier lifestyle at least a little. That could or would arouse suspicion. If it didn't change your lifestyles what good would it do you?
Having a pile of money behind you, unspent, still greatly improves your "quality" of life, even though it may not do anything for your "standard" of living. They are definitely NOT the same thing.
Jim

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Having a pile of money behind you, unspent, still greatly improves your "quality" of life, even though it may not do anything for your "standard" of living. They are definitely NOT the same thing.
Jim
Tell the IRS you got an email from a Nigerian Prince who left you his entire fortune and that the story everyone has assumed was a scam all these years is actually true. Pay your taxes on it and spend it any way you want.. :tongue3:

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Nv, Mt, Ca ,Id. Az, I'm a hobo
Detector(s) used
Deus, GB2,GB Pro & Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 2 correct responses to this. If you make a claim you should back it up with proof. Or.. if you choose to keep it to yourself (which would be my choice also) you say nothing AND show nothing. To make big claims without proof is just crap.. Just my opinion.
A person could find the treasure, return the bracelet to FF and never post a pic. Remain anomalous. FF would announce it had been found.

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
I think just nickel and dimes as you needed it. Private buyers,collectors for cash only. Not that I would ever do that..no sir not me !!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
A person could find the treasure, return the bracelet to FF and never post a pic. Remain anomalous. FF would announce it had been found.

Theoretically, why would he announce it? It is bringing him fame and fortune...he is going to voluntarily cut that off?

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think just nickel and dimes as you needed it. Private buyers,collectors for cash only. Not that I would ever do that..no sir not me !!

Private buyers for cash only means black market. Which means you would only be getting a fraction of what it is worth. Any sale over 10,000 is automatically flagged by the IRS. If you try to sell something for that much money on the down low you are mostly likely to get killed and have the piece stolen. No way the theoretical treasure could be cashed in without it becoming public.

mjphoto54

Jun 17, 2013
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Omega 8000, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't chimed in on the treasure or search yet though I've kept up with all posts for a while. I find it all pretty exciting and wish I could go search. I would love to solve the clues and put my hands on the chest. But at the same time I can't help but believe that some guy from the F B I or some other agency would walk out from behind a tree, say they've just been waiting for someone to take the chest. I'm thinking they have already solved and found the prize. They have experts who do nothing but solve codes and puzzles. They most likely solved it right after they learned of its existence. I just keep asking my if that's true why wouldn't they have taken it. Forrest says its still out there. I guess one would think I don't trust our government. And when it comes to treasure , gold, money, etc., I don't!!!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, if you do it discreetly through the channels you suggest then you still have to advertise to collectors. Advertising these unique one of a kind pieces would then lead to it being publicly known the treasure was discovered. I'm not arguing it can't be done without avoiding taxes...I'm just saying the pieces couldn't be sold without revealing the faux treasure was found.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, if you do it discreetly through the channels you suggest then you still have to advertise to collectors. Advertising these unique one of a kind pieces would then lead to it being publicly known the treasure was discovered. I'm not arguing it can't be done without avoiding taxes...I'm just saying the pieces couldn't be sold without revealing the faux treasure was found.

I erased my post!:laughing7: before I saw this Or I would have left it.

No, It can be done. I can't go into real details, because I don't want to write a "How to". But the right research and there are people out there that do value privacy, and that will keep their mouths shut. That is how they get good reputations with people. I'm not even speaking on the criminal scale. If your a broker and run around telling everyone who bought what and how much or who sold it? You won't be in business very long.

Example! You have a $20,000 gold coin. Say you wanted to sell it? There are brokers for this. Privacy has only been considered a bad criminal thing in recent years too! It's not! A lot of people value their privacy! There are other dealers that value it too, so I guess it could be considered underground in this day in time. But not too many years ago, it was just considered a private sale or buy.

It could be done without taxes too. I wouldn't because of the trouble on that amount! I might pay the taxes of sales but fudge what was sold. That is where an attorney or a accountant could help, to keep it vague and as legal as possible. Who knows, these are just some thoughts.

Also, If I have something for sale? I should not have to prove where I got it! If there is suspicion? It should have to be proven that I'm guilty of something.

Last edited:

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Private buyers for cash only means black market. Which means you would only be getting a fraction of what it is worth. Any sale over 10,000 is automatically flagged by the IRS. If you try to sell something for that much money on the down low you are mostly likely to get killed and have the piece stolen. No way the theoretical treasure could be cashed in without it becoming public.

$10,000 isn't nickel and dime selling. Like I said AS NEEDED not selling the entire thing at once. The only thing "black market" as you call it would be the identifiable jewelry and gold figures....maybe. Jewels....how do you track ancient jewels? Private collectors have no need to tell the planet LOOK WHAT I GOT!! 2 nuggets that are more than 1lb. each....hell man I metal detect and find gold! ALL MINE!!! If you feel you would be shot selling this stuff you should be much more aware of who and what you are doing. Not everyone who has money is out to get ya. Some folks just like nice things. SO wanna bet I couldn't sell it? lol I hope I get to!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I erased my post!:laughing7: before I saw this Or I would have left it.

No, It can be done. I can't go into real details, because I don't want to write a "How to". But the right research and there are people out there that do value privacy, and that will keep their mouths shut. That is how they get good reputations with people. I'm not even speaking on the criminal scale. If your a broker and run around telling everyone who bought what and how much or who sold it? You won't be in business very long.

Example! You have a $20,000 gold coin. Say you wanted to sell it? There are brokers for this. Privacy has only been considered a bad criminal thing in recent years too! It's not! A lot of people value their privacy! There are other dealers that value it too, so I guess it could be considered underground in this day in time. But not too many years ago, it was just considered a private sale or buy.

It could be done without taxes too. I wouldn't because of the trouble on that amount! I might pay the taxes of sales but fudge what was sold. That is where an attorney or a accountant could help, to keep it vague and as legal as possible. Who knows, these are just some thoughts.

Also, If I have something for sale? I should not have to prove where I got it! If there is suspicion? It should have to be proven that I'm guilty of something.

I am in a little over my head here, but I believe what you say is true because it comes from you. I'm not saying any of what you have supposed implies guilt. I am just asking about the secrecy of it all. I find it pretty hard to believe that a buyers of FF faux hidden treasure would want to keep it a secret.

Assume you advertise in secret, assume no one knows your identity, assume you sell in secret. How would you spread word of all these finds to the right buyers without it leaking out that out that it was the faux treasure of FF? I can't see it. I really can't. Wouldn't party of the value of the faux treasure of FF be based on the providence that it is the faux value of FF? This is a gross exaggeration, but it would be like buying a silver spoon from the Titanic. It has value as a Silver spoon....but its value that it was from the Titanic would exponentially increase it. Surely, the same would be true for whoever would sell the faux treasure of FF. It would most likely make up for any taxes if done through the right auction company. I am sure Sotherby's has experience in keeping confidentiality. I am the only one feeling this vibe?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
$10,000 isn't nickel and dime selling. Like I said AS NEEDED not selling the entire thing at once. The only thing "black market" as you call it would be the identifiable jewelry and gold figures....maybe. Jewels....how do you track ancient jewels? Private collectors have no need to tell the planet LOOK WHAT I GOT!! 2 nuggets that are more than 1lb. each....hell man I metal detect and find gold! ALL MINE!!! If you feel you would be shot selling this stuff you should be much more aware of who and what you are doing. Not everyone who has money is out to get ya. Some folks just like nice things. SO wanna bet I couldn't sell it? lol I hope I get to!

I have never sold anything I have found. However, if I do find something I want to do undercover...now I know who to call. I think you missed the point of my post..

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have replicas made, of the "unique" items. Yes sir (IRS) They are all fake! Let the heat die down...sell the "real" treasures in another country! Switzerland, Germany would work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread