Whites TM 808 trouble??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi guys and gals, I am having a lot of trouble trying to set up the Whites TM808 to work properly!! I've tried burying a mason bottle of coins and tried numerous times trying to get it to work properly but for some reason I can't make the proper settings!! This machine is so very frustrating that it's making me go crazy!! I've watched some of the You tube videos and tried to set it up but this machine is so very complicated!! Lol, how good is this machine compared to the rest that are on the market these days? I a looking for something very valuable in the ground and there will be tons of HOT ROCKS!! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Aloha, Danny

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Nv, Mt, Ca ,Id. Az, I'm a hobo
Detector(s) used
Deus, GB2,GB Pro & Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a PI with a large coil. Unless there is a medal lid on the jar, a vlf 2 box detector will not give a strong response on a bunch of coins.
If im not mistaken that is a 2 box detector and they need a fairly large Solid object to detect. A PI will work better in hot rocks

What kind of hot rocks?

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Sorry I can't help you, I have a discovery tf900 and I am still trying to figure it out.

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
I purchased a whites tm-808 some years ago.
It is easy to operate if you just follow the manual and adjust sensitivity ground balance carefully. Takes a bit of practice to do it quickly and I've had experience with other machines.
It helps if you understand exactly what the adjustments are doing so read.....
Must say I was disappointed with the machine.
Later got a pulse star pro ll.
Tested both machines going over the utility lines.
Don't know the depth or diameter of the lines but was able to compare sensitivity.
The whites machine gave a small iffy signal and I did try resetting the controls several times without improvement.
The pulse star, with just the 18" coil, blew my ears out. A one meter coil would give even better response and I was surprised at the machines sensitivity to small targets.
But the pulse star is expensive!
Have read the discovery machine is better than whites 808 and less expensive. It has the same adjustments though.
A good PI detector with a 18" or larger coil should see a jar lid at 1.5 ft or deeper and PI detectors are far less sensitive to ground mineralization.
Hot rocks are a problem for all detectors but less so with PI machines.
Most cashes are shallow.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The easiest 2 boxes are the old ones that really have 2 boxes, that is separate transmitter and receiver. I use an old Hayes 2 box. I turn on the two power switches, adjust the knob that holds the receiver box to the shaft and adjust the sensitivity. It,s ready to go. You have to occasionally adjust the sensitivity control as the ground changes.
It will pick up a buried jar of coins with no problem. Frank

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Hi all. I'm recently bought a TM808 for the specific purpose of locating a significant cache of gold guesstimated at about 4'. My fear is going over it without detecting it. I was shocked when I threw a metal hand axe on the ground and went over it with the 808 without significant response. One plus considered was the ability of the 808 to cover ground much quicker. Concerned over the unexpectedly poor response, I looked a little deeper and found info that White bought the 808 model from Discover but certain patented circuits did not go with it. Thus I was considering a TF900 only now to see the above post that there are issues with that also. I took notice of the Pulse Star but budget doesn't permit right now and was squirming at the thought of paying for a TF900. I don't want to make my trip without confidence in my machine. What I feel right now is that my trip is on hold until I get a Pulse Star. But still interest in thoughts about the 808 or recommendations for a suitable machine. Thanks.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hi all. I'm recently bought a TM808 for the specific purpose of locating a significant cache of gold guesstimated at about 4'. My fear is going over it without detecting it. I was shocked when I threw a metal hand axe on the ground and went over it with the 808 without significant response. One plus considered was the ability of the 808 to cover ground much quicker. Concerned over the unexpectedly poor response, I looked a little deeper and found info that White bought the 808 model from Discover but certain patented circuits did not go with it. Thus I was considering a TF900 only now to see the above post that there are issues with that also. I took notice of the Pulse Star but budget doesn't permit right now and was squirming at the thought of paying for a TF900. I don't want to make my trip without confidence in my machine. What I feel right now is that my trip is on hold until I get a Pulse Star. But still interest in thoughts about the 808 or recommendations for a suitable machine. Thanks.

Read the post above yours! That's a Hays 2 Box that I bought used for $250. It will go down over 6' easily and that's a proven fact. It is similar to a Gemini 2 Box.
Frank

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I can't help you, I have a discovery tf900 and I am still trying to figure it out.

Ditto for my tf900 made by discovery. Once I realized that it was definitely the 900 instead of me, the company had folded up. A quart fruit jar full of
silver plated spoons at 12 inches, ( the jar laying down ) will only give a small reading and only in manual. Switch to fast motion or slow motion and
there is nothing. Looks like we're stuck with them. :coffee2::coffee2:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ditto for my tf900 made by discovery. Once I realized that it was definitely the 900 instead of me, the company had folded up. A quart fruit jar full of
silver plated spoons at 12 inches, ( the jar laying down ) will only give a small reading and only in manual. Switch to fast motion or slow motion and
there is nothing. Looks like we're stuck with them. :coffee2::coffee2:

Here's something you might want to check.
This type of detector is extremely sensitive to antenna position.
The vertical and horizontal antennas MUST be perpendicular.
If one or the other gets SLIGHTLY bent, you loose everything.
Hope this helps, Frank
Gold hand.jpg

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get an 808 to operate correctly can sometimes drive you nuts. The ground balance is dependent on the signal balance and vise versa. When you think you have it set correctly you had better verify it on a known target before you waste half a day walking your grids atleast until your used to it. Go easy on the signal balance. Another thing to keep in mind is that even though everything seems tight, the antennas may not be getting a good connection to the main box, all that needs to be super clean. Mine was very unstable one day and come to find out my rear antenna was not making good contact, that was on a one year old machine, it just got dirty. Don't judge the capabity of the machine on an air test.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
That's the advantage of the old 2 box units. You just turn on the two boxes, adjust the perpendicularity mounting knob, and adjust the sensitivity. I air test it with my vehicle at 12+'. You just walk on till the beep/beep gets low, then you slightly adjust the volume.
You don't have all those other controls to bother you. When you hit something, it just about blows your ear drums.
Modern electronics devices have gotten way to complicated. Look at the remote on the TV. It use to turn it on and off, change the channel and and volume. Now there are SO MANY BUTTONS!!!!!

My 17+ year old Hays 2 Box can find anything a "MODERN" 2 antenna single box unit can find and do it so much easier. Hay, it only cost me $250. Frank.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys and gals, I am having a lot of trouble trying to set up the Whites TM808 to work properly!! I've tried burying a mason bottle of coins and tried numerous times trying to get it to work properly but for some reason I can't make the proper settings!! This machine is so very frustrating that it's making me go crazy!! I've watched some of the You tube videos and tried to set it up but this machine is so very complicated!! Lol, how good is this machine compared to the rest that are on the market these days? I a looking for something very valuable in the ground and there will be tons of HOT ROCKS!! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Aloha, Danny

I just noticed this one too Amazon.com: Easyrad Gpr-(ground-penetrating Radar): Patio, Lawn & Garden
Maybe what you're looking for?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread