WV State Treasures (check website for other states)

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Wish I could afford one, but I can't so I use my tongue
Primary Interest:
Other
State Treasures VIRGINIA

WEST VIRGINIA

In the late 1800s bandits who robbed travelers and payroll trains used a cave near a place called Island-In-The-Sky in Babcock State Park south of Lookout. It is believed that loot of this gang is buried somewhere in or near this cave hideout.

John Gratton lived in a cabin near the headwaters of Rooting Creek. Around 1900, a stranger appeared at his cabin seeking help in unloading a wagon of camp supplies for a party of hunters that he said were arriving later. Gratton agreed and went with him to a spot further up the mountain. The first item removed was an extremely heavy iron kettle which a neighbor witnessed being carried into the woods by the two men. Sometime later, the neighbor saw the stranger pass down the road but, neither he, nor Gratton, were ever seen again. Legends persist that the kettle contained a hoard of gold coins that has yet to be recovered.

Willow Hall, in Hardy County, was the home of the leader of McNeill's Rangers who harassed Union forces in West Virginia. The band obtained huge amounts of plunder, prisoners and arms during these raids. There is speculation that money and/or valuables may remain buried around the old home site.

Prior to his death in 1820, Joseph Van Swearingen buried his accumulated fortune of gold and silver coins on his property, about 1/2 mile N of Sheperdstown, without telling his family the location. Extensive searches never unearthed the cache.
The miser-peddler Moishe Edelman died in 1933 of a heart attack. Before he died, he left a map to a doctor showing the site where "thousands of dollars in coins are hidden in 4 chests." The directions on the map read: "Go along the hard road until you reach Fry. Go toward the settlement of Leet, across the mountain from Fry. At Leet, Laurel Fork Creek empties into the Big Ugly River. Go up Laurel Fork for a mile or two until you reach a large rock. Directly across the road from the rock, in a small bend of the creek, are the chests of coins. Dig along the banks." The doctor, and many others, failed to locate the hoard.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to those who are seeking this treasure. I hope that it was not recovered. Good hunting and good luck.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The miser-peddler Moishe Edelman died in 1933 of a heart attack. Before he died, he left a map to a doctor showing the site where "thousands of dollars in coins are hidden in 4 chests." The directions on the map read: "Go along the hard road until you reach Fry. Go toward the settlement of Leet, across the mountain from Fry. At Leet, Laurel Fork Creek empties into the Big Ugly River. Go up Laurel Fork for a mile or two until you reach a large rock. Directly across the road from the rock, in a small bend of the creek, are the chests of coins. Dig along the banks." The doctor, and many others, failed to locate the hoard.

I read where someone said a relative of theirs had seen him burying the treasure and dug it up...right after he left. I hope its not true and someone finds it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread