Gold Coins Ray County Missouri

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
I have been thinking about some of my treasure stories, and here is one in Missouri. I had a old man about 25 years ago that was my friend, He bought and sold gold coins, his name was Earl Gray. He had a man he was buying gold coins from, by the name of Hugh Siegel. Township 52 North, Range 29West, Ray County Missouri SE1/4 section 19. Hugh was a old man then and died shortly after I was told. Anyway Hugh had inherited a map from his father that showed burial places of gold coins, he told Earl Gray that he had one area he could not locate the buried gold. Hugh was about 83 years old at that time. He Told Earl Gray that the gold was buried out by a peach tree, and the peach tree was where they had moved a log house to attach to the log house Hugh was living in, The house that was moved was somewhere north of the log house Hugh was living in.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Orchard was in Section 13 and just west of it was land owned by J. O'Dell. The balance of that 1/4 section was owned by separate members of the Riggs family (Wm., Susannah and Sarah). The O'Dell property may have been converted into the O'Dell Cemetery; I don't know that one. But I do know there was a structure (home??) 30'N and 30'W of the SEC of that Section--at the head of a creek and on a road (maybe only a dirt road) in the 1880's. I mention this because that home may have been the one you refer to in your post; and may get you closer to the location of Earl Grey's place and the peach tree.
Good hunting,
Don........

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
I am sure he lived section 19 and the house was moved from section 20,if my guess is right could have been the old B.C. Branch house.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O'Dells you say ..... now your talking about some family of mine..

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kenjmor,
Elsewhere, you mentioned the Seybold Tavern. The Seybold Tavern (built in 1822 and burned in 1952) was where the Ford family once lived--and one of them killed Jesse James.
Is that where this is leading? Maybe you found some Jesse James money !!
No doubt you may have already checked the Excelsior Springs Museum and Archives for a lot of information.
History....gotta luv it !!
Don........

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Don Hugh Seigel father was married to a Ford who was related to the fords that killed Jesse. About the old tavern where it stood at if you went west on the road until it tee'd and south about 20 feet is where the old dimes were found dated in the 1840's

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK, there was a "B. SIGEL" in Section 19 (the SEC) and the SEC of the NWC of Section 19. He also owned a large portion of the NWC of Section 29. And, yes, the SWC of Section 20 was owned by B.C. Branch. Note the different spelling of SIGEL.
Don........

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
YES YOU HAVE THE RIGHT AREA NOW ,THE NAME IS MISSPELLED BUT IS THE CORRECT PROPERTY,I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF GOING BACK,I AM TOO OLD AND LIVE IN WASHINGTON STATE.I THINK IT WAS A ODELL THAT ENDED UP WITH THAT PROPERTY,THERE WAS A BITTER FIGHT OVER IT.

BM1retired

Aug 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the site an had picked up my detector to play with again. Found this info and it is literly in my backyard. I'll grab a friend of mine to try and pinpoint areas. My mind is complicated and I may not return for a while. Also may be in the San Diego area next June with national meeting of combat vets. Thanks. Ron

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread