Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 Miles east of my gggrandfather's farm near Lodi/Fairview
Wilson County TX, History

Farmer finds pot of gold in Wilson County field

Disclaimer:
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.

Gene Maeckel
Wilson County Historical Society
December 4, 2013 | 3,185 views | Post a comment

In the month of August 1891, a young farmer named Edwards was plowing his field near Sutherland Springs. As he was going along, his plow hit a large solid object buried in the earth. On inspection of this object, it was found to be a large metal iron pot with its top protruding about one-half inch above the surrounding surface. On removal of the lid, it first appeared the pot was filled with dirt. However, when the object was lifted it weighed much more than just an earthen-filled vessel. On further investigation and after the removal of about an inch of the surface dirt, a large cache of gold coins was discovered. These coins were doubloons, a former gold coin of Spain and Spanish America. They were wrapped in leather which had rotted away, leaving a greenish mold on the coins, but had no effect on their condition.

There had long been rumors and speculation in this Sutherland Springs location that some Mexican gold was buried in the area. The story was that Santa Anna’s army on retreat from their loss at the Battle of San Jacinto, which had ended the Texas Revolution, buried this treasure here on their return to Mexico. For years, a number of searchers had hunted unsuccessfully for its location. Originally, this pot was probably buried much deeper in the ground, but rains in the subsequent years after the revolution had slowly eroded the dirt covering and exposed the pot’s metal lid.

Edwards loaded his newly found treasure into a wagon and in the dark of night, drove his findings to San Antonio and early the next morning deposited the coins in a bank. The appraised value of the gold coins was $17,000. He made no mention of his findings until after his return to Sutherland Springs.

Composed from three newspaper articles submitted to the Wilson County Historical Society Archives by Sara Reveley and Shirley Grammer. It was compiled by Gene Maeckel.

As I always say: "Gold Never Gets Old"
2b.a.searcher

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.jpg 1.jpg

Dodge City times. (Dodge City, Kan.), 14 Aug. 1891.

Dodge City times. (Dodge City, Kan.) 1876-1892, August 14, 1891, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Fort Worth gazette. (Fort Worth, Tex.), 13 Aug. 1891.

Fort Worth gazette. (Fort Worth, Tex.) 1891-1898, August 13, 1891, Page 3, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

3.jpg 3.jpg

St. Paul daily globe. (Saint Paul, Minn.), 11 Aug. 1891.

St. Paul daily globe. (Saint Paul, Minn.) 1884-1896, August 11, 1891, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Rock Island daily Argus. (Rock Island, Ill.), 11 Aug. 1891.

Rock Island daily Argus. (Rock Island, Ill.) 1886-1893, August 11, 1891, Page 4, Image 8 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

The Mitchell capital. (Mitchell, Dakota [S.D.]), 14 Aug. 1891.

The Mitchell capital. (Mitchell, Dakota [S.D.]) 1879-1918, August 14, 1891, Image 7 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

The Stark County Democrat. (Canton, Ohio), 13 Aug. 1891.

The Stark County Democrat. (Canton, Ohio) 1833-1912, August 13, 1891, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Alexandria gazette. (Alexandria, D.C.), 11 Aug. 1891.

Alexandria gazette. (Alexandria, D.C.) 1834-1974, August 11, 1891, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Daily tobacco leaf-chronicle. (Clarksville, Tenn.), 11 Aug. 1891.

Daily tobacco leaf-chronicle. (Clarksville, Tenn.) 1890-1895, August 11, 1891, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

5.jpg 5.jpg

Arizona weekly journal-miner. (Prescott, Ariz.), 19 Aug. 1891.

Arizona weekly journal-miner. (Prescott, Ariz.) 1885-1903, August 19, 1891, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

The Columbus journal. (Columbus, Neb.), 19 Aug. 1891.

The Columbus journal. (Columbus, Neb.) 1874-1911, August 19, 1891, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Turner County herald. (Hurley, Dakota [S.D.]), 20 Aug. 1891.

Turner County herald. (Hurley, Dakota [S.D.]) 1883-19??, August 20, 1891, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Last edited:
OP
OP

2b.a.searcher

Feb 12, 2016
Burleson, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff
You can certainly find those old articles! They are always interesting.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This supports the Theory that I have, I could be wrong though. More Buried Treasure's and Cache's are found by accident and dumb luck. I will never hunt for a famous treasure, but hope to stumble across a unknown one like this.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This supports the Theory that I have, I could be wrong though. More Buried Treasure's and Cache's are found by accident and dumb luck. I will never hunt for a famous treasure, but hope to stumble across a unknown one like this.

:thumbsup: I believe This is because the Majority of people are nurtured to Laugh off Treasure Tales,
so they never take the time to research and look.

Just like people are more disposed to roll their eyes at the mention of u.f.o.'s,
big foot, conspiracy theories etc.

The why I look at it, If someone don't want to Believe, That's their Right.
But Don't Harsh My Mellow ! :tongue3:
...... especially on a Treasure Hunting web site ......

Last edited:

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting story and thank you for sharing it with us - I agree with DFX Dave.

Texas ED

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thanks for supplying the documentation, Jeff. So we know at least $17,000 of gold doubloons was found. Any hint this area holds more?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
didn't find anything else on this yet

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
:thumbsup: I believe This is because the Majority of people are nurtured to Laugh off Treasure Tales,
so they never take the time to research and look.

Just like people are more disposed to roll their eyes at the mention of u.f.o.'s,
big foot, conspiracy theories etc.

I have to admit Jeff that that does make sense. I never thought of blaming my "nurturing" for my skepticism when it comes to Big Feets and treasure symbols, etc. Big Foot could walk up to me and kick me where it hurts and I still wouldn't believe it was Big Foot kicking me. :laughing7: I am going to go to the nursing home tonight and yell at my dear old Mom for making me a skeptic. :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit Jeff that that does make sense. I never thought of blaming my "nurturing" for my skepticism when it comes to Big Feets and treasure symbols, etc. Big Foot could walk up to me and kick me where it hurts and I still wouldn't believe it was Big Foot kicking me. :laughing7: I am going to go to the nursing home tonight and yell at my dear old Mom for making me a skeptic. :laughing7:

Actually I can't say it's Blaming any particular Person.
It may have started With your Parents, But it most likely Continued with your Friends, Teachers , TV
people And the General Public.
Just like most people who Believe in Aliens will Not risk being Laughed at or worse Loss of a Job
as a Airline Pilot for example. If they state to the News they were kidnapped by Aliens during
a cross country flight. Even if they are Convinced it happened.
You've seen & hear jokes I'm sure about Detectorists in Bermuda Shorts on the Beach.
I wonder how many potential history lovers actually forced themselves to give up the idea of detecting
out of fear of being laughed at. and in turn, laughed off a treasure tale for fear their piers would
think they are not all there mentally . if they say they have a lead on blackbeards treasure. and would instead throw the map in the trash and forget it

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread