Paper Money Cache

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
I was wondering if anyone had ever dug a paper money cache that has been buried for 20 years. It was put in the ground inside a plastic tub with a top and covered with tarps. Then, of course, was covered with dirt.

The cache is in Michigan close to the Canadian border so I don't know what the soil and weather conditions are in that area.

My main concern, of course, is the condition of the paper money.

Anybody out there that has experienced these conditions? Trying to get a feel for either boom or bust.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the cash was put in a heavy plastic garbage bag, then placed in the plastic tub, you might have a chance. :icon_thumright:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of metal detector are you gonna use?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be rocky...glacial activity scoured areas to bedrock , but then when retreating dropped stuff too.
Low areas or moraines or beaches would allow digging.
Snow/ice can exist till June , Memorial day week can be either way but usually ice out around then with frozen soil a bit longer depending on drainage , spring snow melt causing runoff ,high water.

Beware eyes at the border ,especially by air and by water, well ,land too... though a fishing boat ( required contact with Canadian officials before entering Canadian waters , so stay on Michigan's and know where that invisible water border is) could be a method towards getting to your site...

Frost can work things loose ,or contract and expand them.
Building codes require certain depths for footings to be below frost line...a wild guess of four feet near border.
Depending on what covers ground surface, with bare , or driven on repeatedly ground freezing deep , snow insulates enough to be able to punch through a frozen couple feet at times.
With lots of rain before freeze up....might as well build a fire on it and wait a few hours.

Bring a face net for bug protection in case you hit the blackfly hatch after thaw. And a warm parka hat and gloves with a lighter coat to cover temp swings.
A small window , depending on the weather, to beat vacationers before schools let out.
After that , expect more traffic and blend in with tourists.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe if the paper money is in bad condition, then the mint will pay full value. Good hunting and Good luck.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only will they replace it if both serial numbers on the bills are there and visible.

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well i am in Michigan and i can help you a little. The lower peninsula and upper vary quite a bit geologically speaking. I am going to assume you are wondering about a spot in the lower. Its mostly regular farmland so sod then a layer of topsoil over a clay base. However across much of the lower the water table is quite high. In most places if you dig a 3 foot hole you will have water seeping in. In addition to that we have full blown winter here and the frost level in the ground can easily reach over 24 inches. Most building codes here require 36" plus for posts etc in order to get below the frost line.

Placing a tarp over it does nothing as water can and does travel in any direction 3 dimension-ally when suspended in soil. A lot of things factor into this such as frost level, saturation level, substrate composition, geographic location etc etc etc. IMO the best you could hope for is that they chose a location with some slight elevation to it like the top of a hill.

Hopefully they used a thicker industrial style tub and not a walmart storage tote if the latter is the case then it was cracked and useless after the first winter.Unless whomever actually SEALED that tub to be both strong and perfectly water tight then it was money stew within 2 years of going in the ground and its been steeping ever since.

That being said the US treasury dept does indeed have a department that will investigate and honor damaged bills free of charge. It takes months if not years to do but that may be an option if you don't mind answering a whole lot of government questions.

I'd love to hear more of the story as I live about 30 minutes from one such Canadian border - (Port Huron) Feel free to PM me if you want to share any more of it.

Last edited:

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall an interview to Judge that tell a story about mafia, the money (millions o euros, at time billions of italian lire) were buried in the ground but the money get wet and they trow away mountains of cash !!
so the next time they use oil barrels to bury the money... I think an oil barrel make a big good target even for a toy metal detector :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread