Death Traps??

D

Deleted member 110535

In my experience animals have always returned the same respect I show them except for a few minor instances with dogs and humans.
I haven't experienced anything trying to protect their young or rabid.
My take is this if I get attacked and or killed and or die in the forest, I died a man's death and not on my back, too sick to breathe in a diaper. If I live through it I am truly tough.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience animals have always returned the same respect I show them except for a few minor instances with dogs and humans.
I haven't experienced anything trying to protect their young or rabid.
My take is this if I get attacked and or killed and or die in the forest, I died a man's death and not on my back, too sick to breathe in a diaper. If I live through it I am truly tough.
Man,me too! I want to go out with a gun in my hand,a bullet in my chest,blood in my mouth and yelling "sod the lot of you",not flicker out in some basement with a mouth full of cardboard. Cat Shannon,Dogs of War.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,me too! I want to go out with a gun in my hand,a bullet in my chest,blood in my mouth and yelling "sod the lot of you",not flicker out in some basement with a mouth full of cardboard. Cat Shannon,Dogs of War.
Seriously, I'd be way more worried about falling down an abandoned shaft. Think you found one? Rule #1 - Apply a liberal amount of common sense........

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next death trap I encountered was after I had discovered tnet and sandy1, and had also researched as much as I could on death traps since I had already encountered one and might also encounter more in the future. That one is not one I had heard mentioned before. I was exploring a sink hole on my friend's property. I seen the hole opened up into a mine shaft. I climbed down inside with the help of a rope. I went as far as I could in the mine shaft, it only went back about 12 feet before it abruptly ended. You could obviously tell that it kept going but was completely blocked from the ceiling to the floor, completely flat though. So slope at all of what I believed was dirt to block the shaft. It had a super thick layer of mycelium growing all over this wall that was the blockage. I was not interested in exploring that start at the time. I just considered it my wine cellar, as it was always the perfect temperature given if it was 110 degrees Fahrenheit just 10 feet above at ground level. Anyhow, the sinkholes was on one side of a dirt road and there was what I discovered to be a small hole on the other side of the road. When I stood close to it, I could tell that if I was down in the mine shaft, I would be at what was the back of the wall in the mine shaft the obviously blocked part. One day I decided to start digging in that hole, that was right above the end of the mine shaft. The dirt looked very out of place. It was a different color brown than any other soil in the area. It looks like soil after it is contaminated with oil. Like darker brown and almost wet looking. As soon as I moved the first shovel of dirt out of that hole, all of my mucus membranes started excreting mucus with eyes watering profusely and saliva profusely coming from my mouth and also feeling terrible bad, very quickly. Very nauseous all of a sudden. Before I could even think about it, I made a few quick, large strides away from that hole. I immediately felt better. Took 20-30 seconds to feel way better. I was quite stumped about that experience for some time. I believe I did eventually figure out exactly what kind of death trap it was, and how it was formulated and also how I can one day reverse that trap. Any educated guesses as to what I had encountered that day?
I would love to know more.

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago on an FTX in the TXSG I was a squad leader and set a trip wire back to a noise maker. (Basically to simulate a booby trap.) When the FTX was over I set it off by accident going back to retrieve it! :tongue3:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Many years ago on an FTX in the TXSG I was a squad leader and set a trip wire back to a noise maker. (Basically to simulate a booby trap.) When the FTX was over I set it off by accident going back to retrieve it! :tongue3:
That's why I've never been a big believer in Spanish death traps still being viable today. If you accidentally set off one you created yourself a few days before, I see no way 400-500 year old traps made with wood, stone and metal would withstand the elements, geology and time. Wood rots, stone shifts, metal rusts and Indiana Jones was just a movie. I'd be far more afraid of an abandoned mine than of a possible Spanish death trap. Now an IRS tax trap, be afraid. Be very afraid...

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I've never been a big believer in Spanish death traps still being viable today. If you accidentally set off one you created yourself a few days before, I see no way 400-500 year old traps made with wood, stone and metal would withstand the elements, geology and time. Wood rots, stone shifts, metal rusts and Indiana Jones was just a movie. I'd be far more afraid of an abandoned mine than of a possible Spanish death trap. Now an IRS tax trap, be afraid. Be very afraid...

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would put boards over a shaft hole and eventually the boards rot. Easy to say don’t step on them but usually covered with dirt and you can’t see them. Mines are dangerous as hell. Know a guy who breathed in bacteria and lot of suffering but he lived.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would put boards over a shaft hole and eventually the boards rot. Easy to say don’t step on them but usually covered with dirt and you can’t see them. Mines are dangerous as hell. Know a guy who breathed in bacteria and lot of suffering but he lived.
I know some people who got stuck in a cave. Flashlight went dead and they and about a mile to go. Weren’t prepared only short sleeve shirts. They got as far as they could with a cigarette lighter, burned everything in his wallet. Still had to spend the night in there cold. Luckily next day somebody found them. No fun.

I was hitchhiking and got a ride with a spelunker told me a guy he knew got rabies just being in the cave, never got bit , just breathed the air.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some people who got stuck in a cave. Flashlight went dead and they and about a mile to go. Weren’t prepared only short sleeve shirts. They got as far as they could with a cigarette lighter, burned everything in his wallet. Still had to spend the night in there cold. Luckily next day somebody found them. No fun.

I was hitchhiking and got a ride with a spelunker told me a guy he knew got rabies just being in the cave, never got bit , just breathed the air.

Over the years I think I can safely say I've been in a hundred mines. Never had any hairy moments using these rules.
1 apply a liberal dose of common sense above all.
2 carry backup lighting & backups for the backups.
3 even if it's only a 50 ft drift carry water to drink or rinse your eyes etc.
4 ALWAYS some sort of head protection.
5 Do not Ever touch or step on ANY wood.
6 always leave someone up top / outside for a safety man.
7 keep referring back to rule #1.
These rules have kept me out of numerous "oh crap" moments over the years.
8 trust your gut if something feels like it's beyond your capabilities or equipment nine out of ten times it is.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Got rabies, or was exposed to rabies? If he got rabies, he's almost certainly dead since the vaccine is useless once symptoms present. And there have only been a few known cases where people survived rabies without treatment once they were symptomatic. BTW, if your doctor ever tells you that you actually do have rabies, the next two words out of your mouth should be, "Milwaukee Protocol". As far as I know, that is the only treatment that has had any success in treating active cases of rabies.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got rabies, or was exposed to rabies? If he got rabies, he's almost certainly dead since the vaccine is useless once symptoms present. And there have only been a few known cases where people survived rabies without treatment once they were symptomatic. BTW, if your doctor ever tells you that you actually do have rabies, the next two words out of your mouth should be, "Milwaukee Protocol". As far as I know, that is the only treatment that has had any success in treating active cases of rabies.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. LOL Don’t recall if he said the guy died or not. Seems like I would remember that but this was 45 years ago.

Actually I did a search and found rabies has three stages. First are flu-like symptoms, then the neurological period. Final stage is coma which leads to death. Incubation can be as short as two days or as long as six years.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you who think no such thing exists, I highly recommend watching Legend of the Superstition Mountains on the History channel.
About Legend of the Superstition Mountains - HISTORY.com
That guy that breathed the bacteria had a rough time.

One time a group of us went in Tongue River cave in Wyoming. We got lost. Pathways in all directions and levels and somebody painted an arrow on all of them. Stayed calm and found the exit after 45 minutes but some members were hard to keep from panicking.

One cave I shined a light in and saw two eyes looking at me. I didn’t go in. Every year around here someone gets bit by rabid bat but common in other animals like skunks. But others like bobcats are very dangerous. They jump at you and rip and bite. Mountain lions much worse. They bite and won’t let go until they are dead.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That guy that breathed the bacteria had a rough time.

One time a group of us went in Tongue River cave in Wyoming. We got lost. Pathways in all directions and levels and somebody painted an arrow on all of them. Stayed calm and found the exit after 45 minutes but some members were hard to keep from panicking.

One cave I shined a light in and saw two eyes looking at me. I didn’t go in. Every year around here someone gets bit by rabid bat but common in other animals like skunks. But others like bobcats are very dangerous. They jump at you and rip and bite. Mountain lions much worse. They bite and won’t let go until they are dead.
Poke them in the eye.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread