Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree433Likes

Thread: Death Traps??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2016
    209 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Death Traps??

Has anyone ever come across a death trap protecting a cache, or evidence of one that was "sprung" and the cache long gone?

It would be great to see some pictures of real Death traps in situ!!

us
    Dec 2014
    Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
    Fisher CZ7 Pro
    844 times
    Me too,,
    I would like to see some also.

us
    Oct 2009
    6501 times
    you watch too many movies.

Mar 2016
    Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
    622 times
    The thing about that is you probably won't actually find many pictures, unless you find them in a book. You can read Charles Kenworthy's Death Traps to Treasure to have an idea of what you are looking for. Most people that actually do find a large cache will do very well to keep their mouth shut and lay low, know what I mean?
    Honest Samuel, elh, davin and 7 others like this.

Mar 2016
    Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
    622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    you watch too many movies.
    How was that helpful? If you don't actually know anything about what a person is asking for help with, then why reply?

us
    Oct 2009
    6501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by miboje View Post
    How was that helpful? If you don't actually know anything about what a person is asking for help with, then why reply?
    This is a forum, a place for discussing like and UNLIKE sides of a topic. You are wound way too tight! have a beer and relax.

Charter Member
    us
    DALTON

Dec 2008
    NW Arkansas
    Fisher F75 SE/LTD2, minelab Etrac, whites classic id, spectrum xlt, fisher f7, fisher 1266, king of all Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Vaquero
    911 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Finding a death trap associated with a cache and for it to still be functional this many years after being put in place would be the equivalent of getting struck by lightning bending over to dig a target up while detecting. I see Jason in Enid point. It's an open forum and anyone can post what they want as long as it's not questioning ones finds or legitimacy of it or flat out calling someone a liar.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    Greensboro NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer Have owned Minlab E-trac, Tesoro Tejon, BH-505 Whites 6000 Di Garrett ADS 2,3 and 7
    1398 times
    When i lived on Guam and Okinawa i was always told to watch out for booby traps planted in caves by the Japanese. I never ran across any but then again, maybe i did. I suspect, given enough time, most if not all booby traps will fail due to corrosion and deterioration. Springs rust and lock up, ropes degrade and break, pits fill in and collapse and so on. So, unless the treasure is new or recent i would not worry too much about such things.
    Last edited by Ammoman; Oct 14, 2016 at 04:46 PM.
    A yard a day keeps the blues away!

us
    Oct 2009
    6501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post
    When i lived on Guam and Okinawa i was always told to watch out for booby traps planted in caves by the Japanese. I never ran across any but then again, maybe i did. I suspect, given enough time, most if not all booby traps will fail due to corrosion and deterioration. springs rust and lock up, ropes degrade and break pits fill in and collapse and so on. So, unless the treasure is new or recent i would not worry too much about such things.
    I can totally believe that soldiers left behind booby traps. It's been going on for a long time, especially with items that someone would want as a war souvenir such as helmets, weapons, etc. Its like laying land mines as you retreat to slow and demoralize the enemy.

Now, if you tell me there are ancient (hundreds of years old) giant hoardes of wealth (another giant fable) guarded by "death traps" I call poppycock. There has never been a real world example cited.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2081 times
    NO to # 1.
    Blak bart and audigger53 like this.

us
    Jun 2014
    Placerville
    Fisher Gold Bug Falcon MD20
    48 times
    Prospecting
    The only hing I ever saw was on that TV show where the guys were looking for the lost dutchman mine, they had come across an old mine and I remember them describing what some wire did if you hit it or ??
    I got to say, your post got me thinking, I live in an area that has lots of old gold mines and plenty of history, I just approach these out of the way spots willy nilly, never gave death traps much thought.. good question.Thanks

elh

Aug 2015
    213 times
    This is a forum, a place for discussing like and UNLIKE sides of a topic. You are wound way too tight! have a beer and relax.
    Speak for yourself about being wound too tight. Beer drinking is not very good language on open forums.

elh

Aug 2015
    213 times
    I can totally believe that soldiers left behind booby traps. It's been going on for a long time, especially with items that someone would want as a war souvenir such as helmets, weapons, etc. Its like laying land mines as you retreat to slow and demoralize the enemy.

Now, if you tell me there are ancient (hundreds of years old) giant hoardes of wealth (another giant fable) guarded by "death traps" I call poppycock. There has never been a real world example cited.
    You never read the newspapers?

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    7750 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Found 2 caches in my life. One in a building, the other spread out early 1800's US coppers scattered over about 10', Can't imagine a booby trap really. I think it's possible, but never saw one. Did find an old rusted animal trap in the woods once.

Charter Member
    us
    DALTON

Dec 2008
    NW Arkansas
    Fisher F75 SE/LTD2, minelab Etrac, whites classic id, spectrum xlt, fisher f7, fisher 1266, king of all Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Vaquero
    911 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by elh View Post
    Speak for yourself about being wound too tight. Beer drinking is not very good language on open forums.
    Beer drinking is not language it's an action. Nothing wrong with beer drinking. Excessive drinking or alcoholism would be a bad thing. Jason wasn't wound too tight he was speaking the truth. Maybe you're wound too tight

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links