diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's 2 cache stories from my family. My brothers wife's family lived in Northern NM. Very remote barren place in the middle of nowhere. As the father is dying he looks and points out the window. The family said he had buried money outside which they have never found.
The other story is even better. My second cousins family bought 80 acres in a small town in Southern Colorado. After the deal he is approached by various people telling him about the legend. A wealthy businessman owns a bank and a rendering plant for cattle. A large foundation and 2 smaller ones are there. The bank owner gets nervous around 1880 or 1890 and buries a portion of the banks wealth. The old owner had even purchase a backhoe to find it. They went looking for it and dug the usually spots. I believe the story. The family of coarse wnts to find it. I have plans to go down and camp with the mosquitoes. I would think he buried it in his house and have plans to have him dig inside the foundation with his backhoe. Do you think he would hide a large amount outside with other buildings nearby? He has an AT pro and gets frustrated with all the crud around. He has s excited to have me down. Should be a fun time. He will take his tractor and remove the grass around the foundations when I go down.
Happy Hunting, hope we all find caches!!!!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first story sounds interesting. It may take a lot of time, but I am sure that you will find it. The second story, same advice.

goldenrecoveries

Oct 6, 2014
I Forgot
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have been an historical researcher for over 40 years specializing in farmers and ranchers from the mid 1850's - mid 1900's. Most caches were inside a bldg. (house - barn - shed - etc. ) If I were FORCED to guess I would say ROUGHLY 75% of the time? Nobody could spot you burying it behind closed doors.

That still leaves a good number of them outside. It would drive me crazy and make me a nervous wreck to have a fortune buried outside, but some did bury HUGE fortunes outside.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the posts! I agree, it would be buried inside the foundation if there is a shot at it.You never know! If he can, I'll have him dig all three up!

goldenrecoveries

Oct 6, 2014
I Forgot
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It seems a little odd but through the years I've learned that the VERY LARGE caches ($10,000 in gold coins and up at $21 per ounce) were usually NOT in or under the house. They under the floor of an "out bldg." or outside.

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in MN? I will go knock on a door :)

I dont have a Cache story per say, but at my cousins cabin they have 4 gold rings that have fallen off within the vicinity of the dock. None of the 4 lost rings are myths, but rather just rings that have fallen off over the past 25 or so years. Unfortunately its 5-7 ft deep and I have no fully submersible yet!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the first story is located in NE or north central NM, it would be pretty darn hard to bury anything without using dynamite. I would be looking for any large rocks, unusual rock piles or depressions the appear to be filled with rocks.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first story is on private land, but I think I can get permission if they have another family get together. I still have not been down to the second place. It is a small town south of Pueblo Co. With the previous owner owning a backhoe, it could be anywhere. Hopefully the old house foundation.

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look for old tree stumps, fence posts or corner fence posts also known as rock jacks. Look outside in east or north directions from the old house foundation. Invest in a good metal detector, like a Mine Lab GPX 4500 or 7000.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for old tree stumps, fence posts or corner fence posts also known as rock jacks. Look outside in east or north directions from the old house foundation. Invest in a good metal detector, like a Mine Lab GPX 4500 or 7000.

That is some great information. I would love to own one of those detectors. I would probably get one if I owned the property. If anyone has one and wants to stop in, give me a message:)

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each their own but a PI would be the last type of detector that I'd use for cache hunting, the signals from small junk would drive you nuts. An ancient BFO with a giant coil or analog vlf in all metal/pinpoint mode detuned is what I like. I hope you find one or both, the Colorado story sounds interesting to me.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just love stories like this! Good luck to you!

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non ever found myself, but a few stories:

-Three 18th century Thalers + some silver change under the attached shed which head a stamped earth floor, directly under the corner where firewood was stored.
- By chance found a small late 19th century gold coin when renovating an old farmhouse. He tore out window sill and there it was.
- I also heard one of the "run of the mill" nazi treasure story, yet I seriously doubt the veracity (you know those old Aluminum milk cans, tree or five of them! Too theavy to lift by one person etc, etc....).

Greets Namxat

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the theory of them burying/stashing in out buildings. House fire might melt the coins, the chicken coup is a favorite as that alarm is loud. This out building should be in eyesight of the bedroom....maybe hard to determine if only a foundation is left. Hog pen area too is for good alarm. Then the old fence post with a plug in the top....or lift up post for cache .Don't forget the well....loose stones in top or extra wire/rope. lots of old timers put it under stones in walk or steps. Old timer wives often hid money in garden.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool post the spaniards would make a hole in a large rock fill it and put the plug back how they did it ?

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most caches buried outside the house are in locations easily observed from inside the home, so a kitchen window or a living room window would be my choice, if the home is gone determine the entrance and work from there, never too far away and by a landmark of some type....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread