The Tricks of Misers to Conceal their Money 1884.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Colfax chronicle. (Colfax, Grant Parish, La.), 12 April 1884.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg
000fff.jpg
000ggg.jpg
000hhh.jpg
000iii.jpg
000jjj.jpg
000kkk.jpg
000lll.jpg

The Colfax chronicle. (Colfax, Grant Parish, La.) 1877-1981, April 12, 1884, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep wondering about the piles of debri here in the keys.......how much hidden money is being thrown out ? Piles of furniture 20 feet high and 100 feet long. Skid steer driver said he found a bunch of envelopes of money day before yesterday. There just has to be some great concealed treasures being thrown out with all the hurricane debri. Who knows how much jewelry got washed out of peoples houses.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep wondering about the piles of debri here in the keys.......how much hidden money is being thrown out ? Piles of furniture 20 feet high and 100 feet long. Skid steer driver said he found a bunch of envelopes of money day before yesterday. There just has to be some great concealed treasures being thrown out with all the hurricane debri. Who knows how much jewelry got washed out of peoples houses.

Yep between Florida, Texas & Puerto Rico, Probably Millions being destroyed. unless of course there is some Back Door everything goes Through for special inspection First.

Would make an Excellent Business Venture.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Miser should had spend his money to have a happy life. I hope that he is in a better place.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess future generations will hide their Bitcoins in the cloud. A new kind of digital detector/detective will be needed

I dislike digital currency very much. Give me a gold coin over a chipped ATM card any day.

EE876267-7F3A-484B-A3F6-293EE0BB644E.jpeg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I've got ask Bart........... What the heck are you doing here on TNet tappity tappin why aren't you out swingin? I hope you're keeping notes on the dumps they're using for future reference!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out my thread in genral discussion called "hurricane irma treasure legands" its starting to pan out and ive got some coins and stuff where the big piles were

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting,. I have found lots of cash in couches etc.,

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Jeff - In the town of Redwood City, CA there is the old Main street, historically behind the stores was a slew or water way where small ships would dock to unload cargo. Let's jump way forward in time, and the slew had been filled in BUT the city needed to run a large pipe through that zone. When the city workers started digging up old bottles the place was opened up for the City folk to dig through. Many neat things were found. Then Franks Tannery used to be out on the mud flat of the same town, I believe it is now Veterans Blvd. Just Before the tannery was bull dozed I happened to go through one of the old warehouse/tannery building, there was an old steamer trunk and in the trunk was some stuff including a 1949 Centenial booklet (20 to 30 pages) of pictures and a small amount of verbiage about the towns history. A very handy source to indicate what was where and what mob figures were out along the coast.

Then of course the 06 SF earthquake and fire and all the burned down buildings and the dump grounds where all that burned stuff went, I mean it was just junk right! All sorts of coins, eye glasses, etc. have been found at that site.

But yes purposely buried money and/or valuables have been buried and lost everywhere over the years since man-kind started using "Money" instead of bartering for goods. I believe there are still plenty of finds out there, it takes research and work and some luck to come up with them...............63bkpkr

cgdigger

Feb 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished an interesting book about the experience of civilians in Maryland in the vicinity of Sharpsburg, Maryland, at and around the time of the Antietam campaign. Lots of first-hand accounts of people burying their coins, silver, etc. to avoid it getting looted by soldiers. Surely some of that was never recovered. And what happened there was probably happening all through the south, as armies came and went.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting article.
From when I was a kid, searching under cushions of couches and chairs, right on up to today, I have always searched where people have lost or purposely hidden money. I have a house that was built in 1900. I still have to search the attic as well as the crawlspaces in the partial basement. Then there is the barn.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting article.
From when I was a kid, searching under cushions of couches and chairs, right on up to today, I have always searched where people have lost or purposely hidden money. I have a house that was built in 1900. I still have to search the attic as well as the crawlspaces in the partial basement. Then there is the barn.

& Don't forget Cars, Under front seats, in the area Where seat belts are Bolted to Floors,
Where the Shifter goes through the Floor between Bucket Seats, Defroster Vents, ashtrays
under the Rear Seat. Not going to be old of course, But Plenty of change that adds up,
and occasionally rings . earrings etc. that the Looser was confident they lost Elsewhere & never looked there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread