All Treasure Hunting

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen this on the upper Mississippi also good starting point for research, thanks.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must have been decent wages. It they couldn’t buy cut firewood, they would have to anchor and cut/haul their own.
Considering the Indian troubles, it was probably worth paying a high price to simply load wood, than risk the hours it would take to chop it yourself.

Has to be many small caches along the river.

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
But flooding and changing of the river could make for tough locating, I have some leads on some places that I want to research some more, that used to be near the river and moved due to flooding, but I don't hold out hope due to flooding etc

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought about how large rivers change the landscape.
If I understand correctly, the steamboats waited for the river to flood before going upriver.
I think it was about this time of year actually. I wonder if higher areas, not prone to flooding would be good places to look....or is there such a thing?

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrowheads might be on those higher areas that don’t flood

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I never thought about how large rivers change the landscape.
If I understand correctly, the steamboats waited for the river to flood before going upriver.
I think it was about this time of year actually. I wonder if higher areas, not prone to flooding would be good places to look....or is there such a thing?

In the book Jeremiah Johnson , he collected drift wood from an eddy at his woodyard. Steamers put payment in a tree hollow.

A delta can have spring flood water creep far beyond summer levels. Terrain where above " normal" flood stage ,but convenient enough for onloading wood to a tied up steamer without having to use a shoreboat makes sense.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mud, Muck, Cottonmouths, angry drunk Hillbillies playing familiar Banjo Music. No Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread