Found but lost

Digaddict

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently while clearing some land I discovered many necklaces (approximately 300) that had been buried. It appeared that the items were once in a tin container that has since determinate. All necklaces are same style and length. Silver in color, looks to be similar to herringbone style. They have no clasp, these necklaces are in bundles of 10-20 and secured together with items similar to bread ties. I have had them tested for Gold and silver these test were negative. So I am kind of lost as to what material they are. They are non responsive to a magnet so that leads me to believe either some form of stainless or aluminum. Based on size of the trees that were removed before they were discovered, I'm guessing these things have been in the ground for more than 50 yrs. Once removed from the ground the dirt and mud was shaken off and these things shined.

Can anyone give me an idea of who may have carried so many of these bundled together for such? Or any idea of the different types of material they may be and ways to test for such?

It really seems to be a great find but the mystery behind such has me lost.

Any information on ways to unravel this mystery will be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 286

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could pray that it's platinum, this is odd. Curious to hear more

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take one to a jeweler and he can tell you what type of metal it is.

OP
OP
D

Digaddict

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took one to a jeweler, he put some form of acid on it and said. " don't think it's silver or gold, not sure what other metal it might be" he wasnt much help.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious if they could be a type of chain, similar to window and other hanging chain made of stainless steel? Having no ends and such heavy links looks semi-industrial use.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they 18" in length? Sounds like what you've got are from around the 60s - early 70s. You used to order them in bundles of 20 or 25, with a bag of jump rings & one of clasps. You'd then pick nifty charms like pot leafs, peace signs etc. Then assemble necklaces till your fingers bled to sell at swap meets & hippy dippy head shops. If I remember correctly, the chains are an aluminum alloy. Do a search on TNet someone posted a surfer one not long ago. Oh! they were used on St. Christopher's from the catalogs too. If you found them buried in a can keep searching the area! You might luck into a can of charms too! Luck to you!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread