Shifty doin's by the Feds: Treasure hunters challenge FBI over dig for Civil War gold

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Sad, but all too common tale. Here are three statements from the article that indicate these guys might not be the brightest bulbs in the light show:

"The legend has inspired generations of treasure hunters to take to the thick woods of northwestern Pennsylvania — including Dennis and Kem Parada, who spent five years digging in a cave on state land, and two more years drilling atop the cave, before going to the FBI in January with their evidence."

"The Paradas showed agents how their sophisticated metal detector lit up like crazy when aimed at the spot where they believed the gold was hidden."

"The treasure hunters and Getler said they had an agreement with the FBI to watch the excavation."

Granted, the gold was and still is government property, but the Parada's should still get a cut. Article linked below:

Treasure hunters challenge FBI over dig for Civil War gold

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
https://screenshots.firefox.com/9G7XjlPun7zOxzE0/www.thecourierexpress.com

You must first prove the story of the gold at Dent's Run is true. Here are some of the facts.

My post was not so much about whether the gold exists or doesn't exist. It was more about the way the Parada's went about it. Based on the article I posted, it seems like they blindly trusted the government to act in good faith. There was nothing about hiring an attorney to put things into a contract that not only spelled out who got what, who controlled what or who had the responsibility of protecting the site. If that was my dig I would have had my attorney out there to make sure I wasn't sitting in the car while agents representing the interests of the government mucked around where millions of dollars in gold might be buried. It all would have been documented on video--from several angles. And if I was as sure as the Parada's were that there was a mother lode under my feet I would have contracted with a security company to patrol the site. At minimum I would have had mobile cameras set up on poles to let me know what was going on (and spelled out in any contract with the government to make sure they weren't disconnected, rotated or moved). And if something fishy happened my attorney would be a bug up their hiney, making sure they didn't violate their end of the deal.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis firmly believe this story and spend many years in research and searching. Each to their own, but I always do contracts or lose treasures and maybe my life. Also I believe that most pro treasure hunters do contracts. Yes, you all know that I pay Connecticut and federal taxes because that the law and I am too old to spent the rest on my life in jail.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with #3, #6. Always have a attorney write a solid contract, or you may be sorry.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold was stolen from the site along with silver and jewels....the goods moved out in Armored Trucks.....to a refinery location in Toronto with the initials KGC

31 Hours later......exactly 9 tons of Dore Bars mixed with gold and silver were jettisoned from an aircraft that was flying over Russia, owned by the Canadian Company, who have operations there.

The Gold was stolen and sent to Russia to be blended into their normal routes. The flight was loaded by people that were not trained and the bars were on palates that let loose and blew the rear door open, scattering the gold and silver on the runway and over the town, with the news reporting that there were also reports of bags of jewels found with the load, confirming Denis' story pound for pound.

They have the names of the people, the FBI directors in West Penn, the Toronto Refinery, and their Russian Subsidiaries nailed in the investigation with the State Treasurer.

There is even some treasure website manager who is trying to alter a FBI FOIA about the site he filed, to claim that there was nothing of interest. The guy tried to produce an altered FBI document for the press to land an article about the troves and self promote his website and articles that accuse Denis of faking it all. I personally exposed that altered FOIA used in the article and on his Twitter site for the news teams and the rest of the crew looking for info.

When confronted about the scams being produced by the alteration of the official document and the criminality behind using that from the Feds, he immediately erased his posts and stopped "chatting" about it to everyone.

The team has a lawyer and they are onto the people who authorized this and it was said to have been quite well known throughout their offices and ignored......because somehow they are using this money for some illegal scheme in their pursuits in Russia, of which we will probably never know about, but it clearly is meant to be used for Black Budget purposes if robbed like this, and at a time that Denis had already begun the inquiry into the legalities, with a permit in hand to dig from years of negotiations in PA with the DCNR

Dents Run Edit 3.jpg Dents Run Lost Civil War Gold 2.jpg Dents Run Lost Civil War Gold.jpg Dents Run Edit 2.jpg

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russian Gold Plane Dent's run 2.jpg

Russian Gold Plane Dent's run.jpg

The heist and the mistakes that were made were evident through the whole affair

Planning it to be sent to a Ukrainian source IMO

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They speak of 9 tons in every one of the articles and that is the amount that Finder's Keepers has been speaking about for the whole time since they were told about the scans

They also said in the articles that there were Jewels in the plane, but later tried to excuse this oddity in their shipment by saying that they came from a location of Diamond Mining

I checked the company website and there was nothing that showed that they even mined for diamonds......much less "Jewels" that were found there.

They specifically tried to use their company as a front for being in the possession of these stores that were shipped by untrained loaders who were paid to quickly load the plane without taking the time to contain the loads in crates or with tie downs.

This is evident by the fact that the back end of the plane was blown apart by the shifting loads and that there was so much that the chartered flight should not have been carrying that load...

Should see some of the comments from the locals that saw it and told everyone to rush to the scene to get some of the goods in a rush on Social Media.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Smart enough to find the cache but not smart enough to keep it. Lesson learned? Cheers to the duo and hopefully WE/THEY don't hear a word about their next success.

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess hey learned the old, old story about loose lips.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
My post was not so much about whether the gold exists or doesn't exist. It was more about the way the Parada's went about it. Based on the article I posted, it seems like they blindly trusted the government to act in good faith. There was nothing about hiring an attorney to put things into a contract that not only spelled out who got what, who controlled what or who had the responsibility of protecting the site. If that was my dig I would have had my attorney out there to make sure I wasn't sitting in the car while agents representing the interests of the government mucked around where millions of dollars in gold might be buried. It all would have been documented on video--from several angles. And if I was as sure as the Parada's were that there was a mother lode under my feet I would have contracted with a security company to patrol the site. At minimum I would have had mobile cameras set up on poles to let me know what was going on (and spelled out in any contract with the government to make sure they weren't disconnected, rotated or moved). And if something fishy happened my attorney would be a bug up their hiney, making sure they didn't violate their end of the deal.

Makes me wonder if it was about the potential for TV show and press from the get go.......

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://apnews.com/2030ebe35636401b9f567759ce81dac5

Interesting that the FBI had no files to share when the FOIA request was filed, but now have 2400 pages of files as well as video that's going to take several years to compile and release. Don't know if there was anything of value there, but this doesn't pass the smell test.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://apnews.com/2030ebe35636401b9f567759ce81dac5

Interesting that the FBI had no files to share when the FOIA request was filed, but now have 2400 pages of files as well as video that's going to take several years to compile and release. Don't know if there was anything of value there, but this doesn't pass the smell test.

Do a FOIA request on anything from the FBI or any gov't agency for that matter and you usually have to ask several times and wait years for the information. That's the problem, it's confirmation bias. Some want the Dent's Gold legend to be true so bad, any action (or inaction) confirms in the believers mind that there's a conspiracy, when it's probably some paper pusher clerk who got the FOIA and didn't give a damn about searching for it. I once did FOIA on a Nuclear Power plant and it's emissions from the cooling tower and after several years it finally showed up. There was no conspiracy, the gov't just isn't terribly organized nor timely. FYI, the steam emitting from the tower did have pollutants in it as I suspected.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David, best of luck in getting all documents and pictures from the federal government, that we all deserve to read.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Man, my head got hot under the tinfoil hat I had to wear to read this one......

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a FOIA request on anything from the FBI or any gov't agency for that matter and you usually have to ask several times and wait years for the information. That's the problem, it's confirmation bias. Some want the Dent's Gold legend to be true so bad, any action (or inaction) confirms in the believers mind that there's a conspiracy, when it's probably some paper pusher clerk who got the FOIA and didn't give a damn about searching for it. I once did FOIA on a Nuclear Power plant and it's emissions from the cooling tower and after several years it finally showed up. There was no conspiracy, the gov't just isn't terribly organized nor timely. FYI, the steam emitting from the tower did have pollutants in it as I suspected.

Have you heard anything from your FOIA request?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread