Metal Detector for Cache Hunting

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
My DFX has done excellent on cache hunting. It would be the Whites 300 now. Same Machine.

From my experience cache's are not buried in a hole over 2'-2.5' deep. I also use a 4' T-Handle Probe to check before I dig.

Good Luck

Kace

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main cache hunting detectors are my Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett Infinium LS, Fisher F75, and Whites TM-808.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two box is great for covering ground quickly but if not set correctly can also easily ignore a small cache. I like the Sierra Madre for cache hunting because I can detune on the fly,and it's light weight. I usually use a big coil on it but not always, it's about as basic as it gets but simplicity is what you want. For relics I still like the old Sovereign. Cache and relic hunting is kind of a dig everything game, most any detector will work but a probe will be your best friend. Like my realtor says...location,location,location.

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are near salt water or in a highly mineralized area you may find that you can't ground balance an IB or a two box. You may want a PI machine.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the Minelab Pulse units with a big coil...They are deepseekers and burn thru mineralized ground...

T

Treasures2Find

The best detector for cache hunting is the one I don't have.

JJames

Greenie
May 10, 2016
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Fisher, Minelab, etc.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used and tried many. The best I have found so far is the Equinox 800. It's not perfect but the best I have found so far. Very good detector.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have found three caches in my lifetime. The first one was with the old style Tesoro Lobo. Second one with XP Deus and third recent one again with the Deus. None were more than a foot down. I think there is a myth out there caches are numerous feet underground. I'm not sure on that point but my deepest one was a foot or so down. So basically, any decent machine will find a larger amount of metals deep. The first cache was late 18th century US coins. Second was early 20th century silvers and last 19th and 20th century silvers and some nickels and a couple Indian cents. None were worth a lot of money. The US coins were all coppers and pretty eaten up. Others were common dates. Oh well.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karl VonMueller says most folks never bury caches deeper than they can reach down with their arm to recover it, and most are within the top two feet of soil. I have found this to be true. I think that most modern machines will find a mayonnaise jar full of coins at a foot easily. Heck, I found one 15" down with my old Garrett BFO with a 12" coil, not a very sophisticated machine.

Last edited:

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat posted "Well, I have found three caches in my lifetime. The first one was with the old style Tesoro Lobo. Second one with XP Deus and third recent one again with the Deus. None were more than a foot down. I think there is a myth out there caches are numerous feet underground. I'm not sure on that point but my deepest one was a foot or so down. So basically, any decent machine will find a larger amount of metals deep. The first cache was late 18th century US coins. Second was early 20th century silvers and last 19th and 20th century silvers and some nickels and a couple Indian cents. None were worth a lot of money. The US coins were all coppers and pretty eaten up. Others were common dates. Oh well." Smokey, would you post a general review of your cache finds? How about starting a new thread on this sub forum. I would greatly enjoy your post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread