Anyone know of any discussion forums for 1910-1950 organized crime history?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Also add in Cleveland Ohio, and Even Canton Ohio. I have no "facts" but heard stories of where. My Great Grandfather was born in 1904 and talked about things that went on. Sadly I never wrote anything down. He even claimed to have met ..Capone...I believe it was. One of the big guys form the time.

I think mostly what your going to find is stories that are past down. Find the 80 year old people of that area and start asking for info some are a wealth of stories or knowledge of things past down to them from their parents. You'll have to sort it out to find a piece of fact. You also have to remember, their families live on(crime families) and most caches have been searched out by family members with way more info than what your going to find. Most of that stuff hasn't been forgotten and was probably recovered by someone at some point. But...who knows..there may be something there.

I "heard" of one(Cache) about ten years back that was passed down through the family from prohibition time, that was involved on the Ohio river. The daughter(or grand daughter) finally cashed it out. it had been held in the basement of a house for almost 100 years. No one will ever know this or who, I just "heard" through the grapevine because I was a gold and silver buyer at that time. And because of who the person that told me was, I believe it 100%. I was asked to buy it and couldn't because of the amount that was involved. But I was never given a name or an exact location unless I was ready to buy.

It's still out there(other Caches), but I believe most were either sold off over the years by family or is stuck where someone knows where it is(or at least the location). Another that I heard of was from a "speak easy". The Son bought property and farm land with it. When he passed the family looted the house and found a lot of money still stashed. I even went and looked a little with one of his daughters. There is still probably money there, but the family still continues to look....almost 100 years later. They are so sure there is still money hidden there that I wasn't allowed by the rest of the family to detect the land.

You're right... I just put a partial list up. Tampa, New Orleans and other larger cities were all involved.

It's a great topic and one of my favorite type of hunts!

Kace

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
And What? I don't know what you're asking...

I've got two Prohibition Era Threads on here in this cache forum. If you read those, you'll be caught up with what I've posted so far. 'A Couple Dollars' is one and 'She Was Eyeballing Me' is the other. My Avatar is from the latter. More pics on that thread of it and pics on the first thread.

I'll post pics from the tape soon I hope (that's time consuming taking postable pics off of a tape) on another thread with a few of the recoveries from distribution sites as well as what was left behind.

I don't want to hijack A1's thread....But If he, you or others want to discuss this topic, I'm In. I'll post my stuff on another thread.

It's an interesting topic and time in our history. Hidden Rooms, Speakeasies, Boats, Bars, Barons and Booze! lol!

Kace
Was interested in the rural, river towns info...

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right... I just put a partial list up. Tampa, New Orleans and other larger cities were all involved.

It's a great topic and one of my favorite type of hunts!

Kace

I tried to give you a little more on what I was talking about, but your messages are full and it won't accept a PM. Some of what I was saying can't be broadcasted in a forum.:laughing7: But may tie into some of what your talking about. It carries no credit anyhow, because it's just all hear say from someone on the net. :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried to give you a little more on what I was talking about, but your messages are full and it won't accept a PM. Some of what I was saying can't be broadcasted in a forum.:laughing7: But may tie into some of what your talking about. It carries no credit anyhow, because it's just all hear say from someone on the net. :laughing7:

Ha!
I've got a shut up about it , a big buy was done following a spouses recovery of certain things , head scratcher story too.
More exists , it's staying there due to not being needed , and no help wanted was the gist of it.

Now I'm wondering if it was bought to begin with before being cached in multiple places , or ill gotten gains over times.
Why else not have known more recovered? Not my situation of "ownership " though. Either of caches , or locations.

You know. The kind where it would be nice to get a "hey ,help me recover some stuff here". .:laughing7:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

Sorry Nitric...I cleared it for you if you don't mind sending your PM again. Love to see it.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was interested in the rural, river towns info...

Read those threads I mentioned.

I'll put some pics up on another thread so I don't feel like I'm hijacking A1's thread with them.

I'll try and get those done tomorrow...it's been an Apple Pie kinda day here and they need to be in order to show how this worked. Not sure I could do that right now. haha!

Plus 8" of Snow...Right Now, I don't even care about the snow...It's Gorgeous!

There's another member from here that's very familiar with what and where I'll be showing.

Kace

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha!
I've got a shut up about it , a big buy was done following a spouses recovery of certain things , head scratcher story too.
More exists , it's staying there due to not being needed , and no help wanted was the gist of it.

Now I'm wondering if it was bought to begin with before being cached in multiple places , or ill gotten gains over times.
Why else not have known more recovered? Not my situation of "ownership " though. Either of caches , or locations.

You know. The kind where it would be nice to get a "hey ,help me recover some stuff here". .:laughing7:

Ya, I also believe the people that have leads, probably won't let them go on the net. Speak easy's were probably in every town. There are also the stories in every town that the "old farmer" or business man didn't believe in or trust the banks. Most of those type people had family that looked or are looking for it. I chased one of those and the daughter and land owner said" Your chasing my dads money too huh? Go for it, hope you find it because we haven't, good luck!!" She has been approached by many over the years...Now it's airport property and the searches are over. I had a chance to look when I first started detecting. I wonder if it was found? Or if she had recovered it and loved the attention of it.:laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I remember seeing on TV when Geraldo was getting into Al Capone's vault in CHICAGO (1986)... and found NOTHING!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I suppose it's arguable as to what forum this thread should have been in, but the jist of it is cache hunting and I wanted to talk to cache hunters about this. I just kinda figured the intel I may be pointed to by like minds could apply more directly to my needs.

Truth is, I really could care less about organized crime, mobs, gangs. I just don't care. I don't like that stuff. Who killed who, this badass Italian or that crazy Irishman, not even the slightest bit entertaining to me. I want to link some names, and find out if maybe someone could have stashed some loot, or a body or somethin.

I've left out some details for sure. I ain't tellin the world all I know about this, but I'd gladly discuss it with anyone that may want to privately talk of it.

These guys were big enough that I just found a series of books being the FBI files on them, and two other books about the organization. One is on the way, and the others are kinda pricey.

Right now, all I have is local history to go on. I have pretty good circumstantial faith that the base of that story is correct, but I also know the it's all crisscrossed and cant be quite right.

It was a recreational place, in an area that thrived with tourism before, and through the prohibition/depression era. Which is another cache related angle I'm taking....many of these places were owned by folks that, during the depression, had enough money to own a second home in one of Michigan's most popular vacation spots, including a few of the rich and famous at the time.

It doesn't however, have any history of an underworld, gangs, or nightlives outside of the norm, and would have made a poor hub for anything but hunting and fishing. It was not really a place they were doing much business, or a hideout. I'm sure there was some alcohol brought to there area, and some bad behavior, but not any local gang related activity by these folks......they were on vacation. Although, local history does mention some Capone visits, executions, and a search for Hoffa.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I suppose it's arguable as to what forum this thread should have been in, but the jist of it is cache hunting and I wanted to talk to cache hunters about this. I just kinda figured the intel I may be pointed to by like minds could apply more directly to my needs.

Truth is, I really could care less about organized crime, mobs, gangs. I just don't care. I don't like that stuff. Who killed who, this badass Italian or that crazy Irishman, not even the slightest bit entertaining to me. I want to link some names, and find out if maybe someone could have stashed some loot, or a body or somethin.

I've left out some details for sure. I ain't tellin the world all I know about this, but I'd gladly discuss it with anyone that may want to privately talk of it.

Right now, all I have is local history to go on. I have pretty good circumstantial faith that the base of that story is correct, but I also know the it's all crisscrossed and cant be quite right.

It was a recreational place, in an area that thrived with tourism before, and through the prohibition/depression era. Which is another cache related angle I'm taking....many of these places were owned by folks that, during the depression, had enough money to own a second home in one of Michigan's most popular vacation spots, including a few of the rich and famous at the time.

It doesn't however, have any history of an underworld, gangs, or nightlives outside of the norm, and would have made a poor hub for anything but hunting and fishing. It was not really a place they were doing much business, or a hideout. I'm sure there was some alcohol brought to there area, and some bad behavior, but not any local gang related activity by these folks......they were on vacation. Although, local history does mention some Capone visits, executions, and a search for Hoffa.

Not sure why a body would be of interest.....
Names could help ,but supporting evidence would be better.
Trying to get confirmation from a credible source regarding some one......
News papers might help.
When a robbery did not result in recovery after so and so was jailed ,and we know so and so was unable to recover it ; was there an accomplice that could ? Or was some one else in the know?

Known gang affiliation does not equal a body. Or a cache.
Killings can have mattered , if the victim had cached a generous stash of "card playing money"or get out of Dodge funds if things go South no one else knew of. And you know where they were staying prior. (That is how so many places got tossed , as we know.) But that does not mean no caches remain.

Being in the summer "vacation" area or hunting camp site (and I'm not guessing tent or truck sleeping but more a Cadillac safari type camp ) is a start.
Permissions after research at local historical society and library to thin possible leads....And cache sites I'd look for would be similar to anywhere else.

You get a hot lead an hour or so South, holler! L.o.l..

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would interject this of course.... Has Jimmy Hoffa been found yet?

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure why a body would be of interest.....
Names could help ,but supporting evidence would be better.
Trying to get confirmation from a credible source regarding some one......
News papers might help.
When a robbery did not result in recovery after so and so was jailed ,and we know so and so was unable to recover it ; was there an accomplice that could ? Or was some one else in the know?

Known gang affiliation does not equal a body. Or a cache.
Killings can have mattered , if the victim had cached a generous stash of "card playing money"or get out of Dodge funds if things go South no one else knew of. And you know where they were staying prior. (That is how so many places got tossed , as we know.) But that does not mean no caches remain.

Being in the summer "vacation" area or hunting camp site (and I'm not guessing tent or truck sleeping but more a Cadillac safari type camp ) is a start.
Permissions after research at local historical society and library to thin possible leads....And cache sites I'd look for would be similar to anywhere else.

You get a hot lead an hour or so South, holler! L.o.l..

A body would be cool. A pocket full of coin, bling, gold teeth, and who wouldn't like to be "the guy that found Hoffa" :icon_thumright:

The whole thing is a puzzle missing pieces. I ain't saying there is anything of any significance, and I don't know of anything to search for in particular. I'm just having fun loking for pieces at the moment. It's actually found me 17 other places to detect along the way. One place is a bought-up house that was only accessible by a half mile road that originated at the mansion.

The place was more of a mansion, pool, horses, barns, airstrip, hunting, fishing. Isolated and away from Detroit.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A body would be cool. A pocket full of coin, bling, gold teeth, and who wouldn't like to be "the guy that found Hoffa" :icon_thumright:

The whole thing is a puzzle missing pieces. I ain't saying there is anything of any significance, and I don't know of anything to search for in particular. I'm just having fun loking for pieces at the moment. It's actually found me 17 other places to detect along the way. One place is a bought-up house that was only accessible by a half mile road that originated at the mansion.

The place was more of a mansion, pool, horses, barns, airstrip, hunting, fishing. Isolated and away from Detroit.

That one place could keep you busy a while.
Barns would be interesting. Even downed ones.
Out of sight of witness's eyes , and some horses make good watchdogs.
Thresholds.
Outside and inside corners.
Under former feed troughs.
Stall corners or centers.
If you don't know the horse , are you willing to push it around ,or turn your back on it? Let alone get in a stall with it.

False /hollow beam,s or pipes.
Edges where water for horses was obtained. Well house ,or well edges ,corners, midline edges...

Some one with a shovel alongside the pool or mansion is quite different in being remembered than someone with a shovel on muddy ground adding dirt by a well; or in a barn with a wheelbarrow....

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
PROBABLY Beach Fronts (in the water), and rural areas near-by... especially under piles of debris made from "building up" primitive beach fronts to Beach Resorts (broad-walks, etc.) like Virginia Beach, Va. An inmate told me about "mafia money" used to enhance VB as "play-ground" for NYC "Mob"... I believe it.

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During prohibition liquor was run from Canada through every major port of entry and border stations across the northern states. All transactions in cash. Bound to be some stories of caches. Check local historical societies, police blotters, newspapers,etc. Side note: my grandfather ran an auto repair shop in San Diego during prohibition. He built false containers in doors and trunks in Cadillac’s, etc to transport booze across Mexican border. He made enough cash to buy a 600 acre homestead in Oregon.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would interject this of course.... Has Jimmy Hoffa been found yet?

He's in a cement pillar of a parking deck in Cleveland Ohio? That's what I heard so it must be true!

A couple of you are talking about finding bodies? Hell no...!!!!.I'd want nothing to do with that. I wouldn't want the attention or the hassle. It wouldn't bother me but I don't want to deal with all of that, I wouldn't want to be the one to find Hoffa!!. If I uncovered a body and thought it was left over from a Mob hit? I'm kicking some dirt back over it (maybe check for a rolex) and moving on. I didn't see ANYTHING and I know NOTHING!!! :laughing7: and What Rolex?

Before, anyone gets bent up, I'm jkg around, If I uncovered a body I'd call someone(unless it's a mobster). Just thought I'd make that clear, I've seen people get all wound up over this subject before(or bones)..:occasion14:

On a side note, Bet it wouldn't be all that hard to find a "dumping ground" with research. I think they are known and left alone for whatever reason. I'd bet on that.

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
from searching around,seems the congressional & Senate hearings
has testimony from the crooks,so may lead to other info of the
5Ws of Organized Crime
Publication date 1950
hearing testimony about Michigan crime
part 9
https://archive.org/details/investigationofo09unit/page/n3

list of hearings states
pt.1.Florida.--pt.1A.Florida.--
pt.2.Federal communications, etc.--pt.3.Black market operations.--
pt.4.Missouri.--pt.4A.Missouri.--pt.5.Illinois.--pt.6.Ohio-Kentucky.--
pt.7.New York-New Jersey.--pt.8.Louisiana.--pt.9.Michigan.--
pt.10.Nevada-California.--pt.11.Pennsylvania.--
pt.12.U.S.Treasury dept.,etc.--pt.13.Miscellaneous witnesses.--pt.14.Narcotics.--
pt.15.Kentucky.--pt.16.Florida.--pt.17.Maryland and District of Columbia.--
pt.18.New York and New Jersey.--pt.19.Pennsylvania
https://archive.org/search.php?query=michigan Crime hearings

a search for organized crime @ hathitrust filters to the left of pg
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/ls?field1=ocr;q1=organized crime ;a=srchls

not sure what info could be had from these podcasts
The History of Organized Crime
https://history-podcasts.com/history-of-organized-crime

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread