Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a similiar story.
My Grandfather withdrew $100,000 and hid it on his 70 acre farm before he died.
In the hospital before he died he mentioned loose bricks, under the stone,etc. as his mind began to go.
He died and the hunt was on!
He had 11 children,all with good sized families,so there were plenty of people looking.
The years passed, I still looked when I could but had basically given up on it.
I wasn't untill my Dad died that I learned the truth.
Dad had a large gun collection, I had to have it appraised to settle the estate.
The appraiser was the same guy that appraised my Grandfathers guns after his death.
I worked with him for years, and are good friends, and he told me the true story of the missing money. When he was there appraising the guns, my dad and his brothers were trying to open Grandfathers small safe, they didn't have the combination, so they were breaking into it. He said when the door finally opened, a large ammount of big bills spilled out.
When I opened my fathers safe a few days later, there was his share of the 100k in a small envelope. It goes to show that you never know.....I was convinced it was buried or hidden on the farm, but the truth was alot simpler.

K

Kentucky Kache

I've got a similiar story.
My Grandfather withdrew $100,000 and hid it on his 70 acre farm before he died.
In the hospital before he died he mentioned loose bricks, under the stone,etc. as his mind began to go.
He died and the hunt was on!
He had 11 children,all with good sized families,so there were plenty of people looking.
The years passed, I still looked when I could but had basically given up on it.
I wasn't untill my Dad died that I learned the truth.
Dad had a large gun collection, I had to have it appraised to settle the estate.
The appraiser was the same guy that appraised my Grandfathers guns after his death.
I worked with him for years, and are good friends, and he told me the true story of the missing money. When he was there appraising the guns, my dad and his brothers were trying to open Grandfathers small safe, they didn't have the combination, so they were breaking into it. He said when the door finally opened, a large ammount of big bills spilled out.
When I opened my fathers safe a few days later, there was his share of the 100k in a small envelope. It goes to show that you never know.....I was convinced it was buried or hidden on the farm, but the truth was alot simpler.

Still you never know. Grandfather may have had more than $100,000.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can think of two places where there is cash buried. This was done by family members and shared with me. But the family is so twisted I wont tell them. One guy buried 3 55 gallon drums with coins that probably predate 1970. The other is several mason jars buried under stumps in a remote patch of woods that rarely see's a human lol. If my family did it, so did others.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thats a lot of coins! Must have had a back hoe to move it around. Too much money for me to even try to count.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Old thread, but subject is interesting. I just typed a long analysis, but somehow the thing went into the ether of cyber heaven.

Summation is: banks that I deal with always ask me to give them a day or so to order some extra cash from their central source. They don't like to give away their daily working currency in one big lump. The teller would know if he had appeared with someone to make that request and if he had someone with him at time of withdrawal. If someone was helping him, then THERE is the answer.

Next thought is the old guy's attitude about keeping his wife from knowing about the withdrawal. True, dementia messes with ones former personality, but it could be that he had a reason to not let anyone know about the cash. Like ... Could it be to pay off a gambling debt? Could it be to "invest" in some slickster's scam? Could it be to give to a favorite relative?

Then there is the missing tackle box. Curious, and a potential lead, but maybe he put the cash in the box and placed it in the trunk of the car. I tend to agree with other posters that the old fellow may not have buried the cash, but placed it somewhere in a shed, garage, attic, etc.. Someplace close enough to watch, and of course get at when needed.

I hope the OP comes back to give an update. Has the house and land been sold? There was a mention that the widow was in need of money to be able to keep the house. Maybe the place is in new hands now.

M

dragonfire

Jan 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey. I live in southwestern Ohio and I am thirsty for an adventure. I do not own a metal detector, but I am extremely intelligent, have a great memory, and I am always up for a adventure. If you haven't found it yet I am up for it

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He may have just went to the strip club and blew all $10G. Either way it still worth checking out. Good luck!

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned that he "would ride his lawn mower every day up to the pond" anyone check in the engine compartment or under the seat of the mower?

fivemile

Apr 2, 2005
Minton7: I had a recovery once where the currency was in a metal tackle box. It was buried next to the house and right under the gutters. The excessive moisture did rot the metal box. When the tackle box was lifted from its resting place the bottom completely collapsed. The paper currency could not be saved and only the silver dollars were recovered. My point is time is critical. The longer the wait to attempt a recovery,the greater the chance the paper currency will deteriorate. Also, I doubt if it would be buried over 18 inches deep.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i know this is an old thread, and Minton7 last post was 2012,last login was may 2014
but did anyone check under the car seats, maybe he forgot to take it out of the car

dragonfire

Jan 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since Milton7 has not been on here in a while, I will search with anther person if anyone is interested. email me @ [email protected] if you are interested

davedog79

Apr 16, 2015
Belpre, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys n gals I have an opportunity for us all.... I have been approached to find a buried stash.... here are the details:

A lady, who is in her mid 50's, lost her husband 4 years ago to dementia. He got very confused and paranoid at times esp. after several strokes. he went to the bank and withdrew $10,000.00 in cash from their savings account. The bank didnt notify her until 2 weeks later, she asked him about it and he told her it was none of her business what he had done with the $$. During this time, she noticed that his old metal tackle box disappeared out of the garage. He always, even up to the end, would ride the lawn mower up to their pond and sit n fish for hours. She feels he buried the box and $$ somewhere up there, he would have had only a shovel, and he was fairly old(25 yrs older than her) so it probably wouldn't be buried that deep. They have had divers come in and check the pond to make sure that he didnt toss the box in there in a confused state.... I have hunted with my trusty White's Spectrum XLT but have had no luck... I really do not have the proper equipment for this endeavor at least in my mind.... there is quite a bit of area to cover .......

The deal is that if I find it, I get half...... so I am offering half of my half to anyone who thinks they can come help me find it..... I am thinking that we would need some kind of sonar unit or something... but am open to suggestions

I think together we can find this tackle box in one day let me know if your up for this I have a AT PRO and have found things well deeper then it shows if all the husband had to dig with was a shovel at the age he would of been it cant be more then a foot deep. I live near Marietta Ohio lets find some money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions