signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta figure most every Fenn hunter will not even consider the possibility. Even Fenn has said as much--for sure they will announce it has been found. Lots of stuff that doesn't add up. Rabid treasure hunters don't just quit. Those guys had information the general public did not get--people all over the world emailing them with their solves because they couldn't afford to travel. I could sure see the possibility that the value is just not there after taxes. that one guy probably spent more money searching than the thing is worth (after taxes, etc.). Did somebody find it? I don't know, but something says that to me. Fenn said the same thing--gut feeling it was going to be found this past year. I suspect he would feel it. So the curse may never end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to clear up things, I like Forrest Fenn and very thankful for his Chase. I flew hang gliders and paragliders for many years so the fact that he was a pilot, a fighter pilot, got a lot of love in my heart for him because I know the exhilaration that being sky high gives a person. Most people never that lucky to experience this.

Unfortunately the word "gold" causes a lot of bad news, ill will. I sure wish people would learn not to be so damned greedy but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. Forrest said it (as others have, too) the thrill is in the chase. Once you got it, not that big of a deal anymore. But people don't seem to get that one.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
The one Fenn website owner quit looking. And the guy who helped him with his website moved away, disappeared. And why would he tell anyone when his website is making advertising money? Don't know, but this is highly suspicious.

My belief is that it hasn't been found yet. Of all the people actively looking for it I'd wager that less than 1% would have the discipline to not jump on their 15 minutes of fame. Of that less than 1%, about half of them would have the sense to contact a tax attorney to map out the best way to cash in on it. Just look at lottery winners to see how a sudden financial blessing affects them. The 99%+ group would have been on morning shows doing interviews by now, and most of them would have already signed a book deal when that attention began to die down. And even if they had the sense to stay low key, I think they would have told their families--and more importantly, their friends. Friends who would have told their friends, and somehow the secret would have spread until it made it to social media, at which point it would be game over. And even in the less than 1% who wouldn't seek fame, I believe a lot of them would have contacted the Fennster himself to either let him know it had been found or to seek his validation. If someone contacted Fenn to tell him they found his treasure, I have to believe that he would have made it public, even if the finder didn't. And I would hope that Forrest Fenn would let the public know that a) someone found it, and b) where it was hidden so as to provide closure for everyone who participated and dreamed about it.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're dropping like flies. I don't know what's going on but several of the major players say they are quitting the search. Coincidence? Why all of them at one time? May never know the truth. I feel like a leper in the country club swimming pool. I said something that somebody didn't want to hear about four years ago. Still on their crap list. The greed motivated are blinded to the truth and won't find it. So maybe you can see why I'm not that friendly about it. They have a lot to learn.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You need to learn the definition of the word greed. Simply because somebody is searching for the treasure doesn't mean they're greedy. Do you apply "greedy" to every person who works hard, trying to get ahead? There's no difference. And, why do you care that people want to spend their time searching for a treasure?
I don't believe in LRL, or dowsing, but I don't come on here, and make a big deal about it. I'm content to let people live their lives as they choose.
Jim

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone should pay a Private Investigator to tail fenn I assume he checks on it from time to time, but you would have to be careful what you tell the PI.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda cold to go looking for it today. In fact it is downright dangerous. I wish I was at the beach.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
You need to learn the definition of the word greed. Simply because somebody is searching for the treasure doesn't mean they're greedy.

Although he didn't say it directly, I think Adam Smith alluded to greed being defined as acquiring, or seeking to acquire more than one can effectively manage. Couple that with the fact that wealth loses value over time for the owner when it is not converted into things like capital, food, etc and one can tease out a fairly accurate definition. If you seek to acquire more property than you can develop, or even afford the property taxes that would be an example of greed. If you are constantly acquiring gold and treasure that just sits in a treasure room that would be another example of greed. On the other hand, if you acquire trillions of dollars and use them to start, build and operate businesses or charities it really can't be considered to be greed in and of itself. So in terms of the Fenn treasure, someone looking for it who is also properly managing their life, taking care of their family and maintaining their property is not really greedy. Whereas someone who neglects those things in order to find the Fenn treasure is greedy.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The word greed has a negative implication in our society. But, without greed, nothing would get done. The definition of greed uses all sorts of words that have no real meaning, like: excessive; inordinate, etc. Greed is the "excessive" pursuit of wealth, or food, or power. Who decides what's excessive? The idea of a free society is each of us is free to determine our own needs, desires, etc. So, using the negative term "greedy" to insult another person is based on the insulter's values, with no care for the values of the person being insulted. As I said earlier, if greed is as defined, we're all greedy, compared to somebody. Each of us has wealth, if we're lucky, we don't currently need. That does not make us greedy, IMHO.
Jim

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest." - Adam Smith

There is definitely a difference between self interest and greed. And as economist Walter Williams has said, "we serve others by serving ourselves." In other words, you don't benefit the cause of mankind by being a hermit in a cave or lying in the gutter being drunk.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always thought Fenn would have put a note with a gold coin in the box, telling the finder how to get in touch with him and claim the treasure. How else would he, or anyone else know if it were found?:skullflag:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always thought Fenn would have put a note with a gold coin in the box, telling the finder how to get in touch with him and claim the treasure. How else would he, or anyone else know if it were found?:skullflag:

I agree. I'm of the opinion many people wouldn't report it if they found it, robbing Fenn of the recognition he'd receive for it being found.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always figured, assuming I found it, that I'd send him the bracelet. He said he regretted putting that in the box.
Jim

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't know if this is proof, but it's possible someone got it. I don't think it was Forrest, somebody else.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, total speculation. But think about it for a minute. If it was one of the major players--someone Forrest knew well enough--maybe he wanted to see it again and asked the person to bring it to his house for one last viewing.

This clique of major players what I call the country club group "in the info loop" may all know about it and that's why they quit searching nearly all around the same time. I don't care how you slice it and dice it, that is no coincidence.

Oh yeah, "It all depends on what your definition of "is" is.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hers something else to think about: one of those major player websites has now started other treasure searches. Got to do something with their spare time now.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said before there are probably going to be a number of suicides once it is divulged the cache has been found, so this is their way of letting people down easy.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There are very small gps devices that can last a year or longer on a single battery charge. This tech became available to consumers about 2 or 3 years ago. It’s one way Fenn might be able to “know” when the chest is recovered without him risking being followed or spotted. Its the same tech that allows the tracking of the rental scooters & bikes that have infested many urban U.S. areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That guy makes some good points in his videos, but the part about the frog, well quite obvious it is not the same photo but i'd say it looks like it was taken at the same time, maybe somebody got confused. But it is a bit suspicious why he covered up the frog with the copyright. Maybe just didn't want people to know he got it wrong? Why not just admit it instead of hiding it? So this guy could be right. It does look the most suspicious part of his video.

The weathering on the wood is where there might be some issue, but even that is hard to compare with the book photo which was probably touched up. So hard to come to any conclusion. But why the lower quality? That one is also suspicious. As the guy says, the other photos were not dropped down in quality and why would he not want everyone to see the best quality? Obviously I don't the answers. But I tell you something is not right here with all these major players dropping out.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread