Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a
Makro Racer
Minelab E-Trac
Fisher F-75
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since many of our detectorists are unable to get out into the field because of the cold weather, I though some might enjoy reading the story of a found cache on such a cold winter's day.

My Grandaddy had purchased some silver coins back in the late 1960s or early 1970s and had buried them on his farm. He had told my Daddy that they were buried inside an old well-pump house not too far from his house. Grandaddy passed away in 1981, so the ownership of the farm passed to Daddy. He had told Daddy that there was a crude map on the inside of the pump-house door that would guide him to the location of the coins. As far as we knew, the buried coins were still on the property. In 1985 we decided to drive out to the farm, which was near our hometown, and see if we could recover the silver coins.

We arrived at the farm and found the pump house. We got the door open and looked around inside, unable to see any sign that anything had been buried there. Looking on the back of the door, we could see scrawled there some circles that must indicate the location of the coins within the pump-house. We began to dig where one of the circles seemed to indicate, and soon struck a solid object. Removing soil, we could see the top of a plastic milk jug. We were able to finally wrench the jug out of the ground, and to our delight, it was full of silver coins! Upon closer inspection, the coins all appeared to be US half-dollars.

We then dug another hole at an indicated area, and hit another jug just like the first. It too, was filled with US half-dollars. We repeated this process two more times and before us sat 4 jugs filled with silver half-dollars! Well our excitement level was pretty high by now.

We lifted all of the jugs into the car and headed home with the treasure. We cut the tops of the jugs off and dumped the coins in the yard and cleaned them with water. Overall, they were in good shape to have been in the ground for almost a decade and a half. We found that they weighed more than 40 pounds in total!

Well, Daddy passed away almost 3 years ago, and ownership of the coins passed to my brother and myself, so the treasure is still in the family. It will be passed on to other family members when we're gone.

I hope you've enjoyed this true tale of buried treasure found, and that it will inspire you all to go out and find other such caches that are surely waiting to be discovered!

HH

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
B

Brierfield

Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a
Makro Racer
Minelab E-Trac
Fisher F-75
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

travis.gore.79

Sep 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the story. Thanks for sharing.
What was the oldest and newest coin?

OP
OP
B

Brierfield

Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a
Makro Racer
Minelab E-Trac
Fisher F-75
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the story. Thanks for sharing.
What was the oldest and newest coin?

The oldest would have been a Walking Liberty from the 19 teens and newest would have been a Franklin from the 1960s. Not sure of exact dates without taking them out and looking.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story & a family history to be proud of!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool story, thanks for sharing!

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Very nice.
thats a very cool story to keep alive through in family history.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. How about a photo of map? Did you continue your search to adjacent areas and/or use your metal detector at all?

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool read... thanks for sharing it.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice story, map search, and 40-pounds of 90% silver halls. TERRIFIC , great stuff.

OP
OP
B

Brierfield

Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a
Makro Racer
Minelab E-Trac
Fisher F-75
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. How about a photo of map? Did you continue your search to adjacent areas and/or use your metal detector at all?

We sold the property not too long after the cache was discovered, so I never searched anything further there. I doubt there was any other coins buried there as we would probably have been told.

Happy you enjoyed the story!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story that will be me soon

Top Member Reactions