Springs and Waterholes

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Westward travelers and many others have used waterhole and Spring locations for camping areas..If you study enough history you will read that some buried their goods every night at these places.. There is a publication that was made by Geologists about waterholes would be worth searching for maybe your local USGS has copied for sale.. if not they will copy pages for you.. I have done this many times looking for info about specific mining areas.. Always study the Bibliography of any history book you are reading more info-can be found there...

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Westward travelers and many others have used waterhole and Spring locations for camping areas..If you study enough history you will read that some buried their goods every night at these places.. There is a publication that was made by Geologists about waterholes would be worth searching for maybe your local USGS has copied for sale.. if not they will copy pages for you.. I have done this many times looking for info about specific mining areas.. Always study the Bibliography of any history book youbare reading more info-can be found there...

So this USGS has copies of old watering holes? It’s crazy cause I was just researching all water in the holes in New Orleans on Lake Ponchatrain

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually there is a book covering this topic for several major wagon train routes west and it has a high review in the book I am reading. It contained every stop along the way.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Historic Sites Along The Oregon Trail by Haines, Aubrey L. appears to be another book that looks good. Includes stage stations, pony express buildings, graves and battlefields. I am finding these source books in Volume 1 Exanimo Looks At Books "National Prospectors Gazette." by Karl Von Mueller and edited by Randy E. Bradford a member of this forum. From what I see having read thru the listings is it could save one money from bad purchases and put one on to some books that should be very helpful.

OP
OP
A

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to find treasure, you have to get out of local parks and schoolyards. That takes RESEARCH and you have to learn where you can locate it...These things l learned myself, History hides many secrets...open the door....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to find treasure, you have to get out of local parks and schoolyards. That takes RESEARCH and you have to learn where you can locate it...These things l learned myself, History hides many secrets...open the door....

History hides many secrets and research is the key to that door! ╦╦C

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post I love to research just seems most places around me have been built on lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread