For Fl. hunters near Ft. Myers

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Ft. Myers for years. I also researched the library news clips for interesting stories. One I found was about 2 bank robbers in 1931 that robbed the bank and fled. They were chased by the police and headed towards Sanibel Island. At that time there was a ferry to Sanibel in Punta Rassa and it had already left. Punta Rassa is now where the bridge stands going over to Sanibel. They got out of the car with 2 bags full of money and headed into the woods. Hrs later the cops caught them but they didn't have the bags. They were sent to prison and neither told of where the bags were. One died in prison and the other got out when he was 75 and died a poor man so he never went back for them.

At this time a tennis club was built around there but there are plenty of woods around it. I searched the woods a few times but nothing.

If you do go there, there is a beach by the bridge. Walk back about 1/8 mile from the main beach and you will see a cleared lot and small beach. I found over 400 coins on that beach from all over the world. The story is a shopkeeper had a little store there to sell soda and things to the people waiting for the ferry. He lived in back and it burnt down killing him. People said he had a large jar under the counter and when someone tried to give him a coin he didn't know he bartered and threw it in the jar. They bulldozed the store down so I suspect the coins got scattered. I'm sure there are more coins since that was 20 years ago that I searched.

I had my shot not it's your turn.... good luck!

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gave it a great attempt! If it was paper money, wonder what condition it would be in now?

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good spot, I think I know where you are talking about. Living in the Ft Myers did you ever hear of Ed Watson, one of Florida’s 1st serial killers. Check out the book Killing Mr. Watson. He had a homestead on the Chatham River in the Glades, if he wanted your land and you refused to sell they would find you and your family floating down a river. Everybody was scared to death of him, a group of vigilantes finally gunned him down at docks at the Smallwood Store at Chokoloskee. I have been to where his Plantation was, you can feel the bad karma as soon as you set foot on land from the horrible things that must have happened there. My Wife wouldn’t even get out of the boat. He is buried in Ft Myers Cemetery. Look him up on Wikipedia, great read.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190628_164946.jpg ......oh.....its there all right !! The whole town.....trust me.....its there !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cracker trail termination point. All cattle were paid for in gold coin by the spanish before shipment to havana. Kyak attack gets you in quick. Launch at boat ramp on north side of bridge. I'll be up in there in a couple weeks when I get back to fl. I know for fact that what billieg is saying is true......won't be long before this gets developed into condos.....or something. Lots of mosquitoes and rough fl jungle plus heat. Like the Nike ad says.....just do it. Fortune favors the bold and this is a rare ghost town still unexplored by most hunters. I've been waiting for someone to post about it. Only people I've ever seen close to here were kayakers with no clue.....tourists on a pleasure cruise.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peace out guys I've said to much already.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever been back in the mangroves on the north side of the road? Here is a pix of the location of the ghost town Allenhurst at Merritt Island. Was there a couple weeks ago, no-see-ums tore me up. Lots of wild hogs also.I have to wait a few days for my legs to heal before I start tromping around in the warm dead water again with all this flesh eating bacteria around. I started to carry a small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my pack in case I scrape myself on some coral. 171B0F2F-67C7-4878-899F-3D08F0AEB40D.jpeg 28E057E1-C1C8-467F-BD9E-694B817B1ECF.jpeg

Attachments

• DC083DD5-E689-422D-B8E8-E0597DDC890D.jpeg
    DC083DD5-E689-422D-B8E8-E0597DDC890D.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 99

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cattle stockades to the north, condos have been developed over some of the ghost town. Old telegraph building still stands to the north....its a small little building.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing that your profile says your in the Keys, have you ever been to this location in N Largo, 7miles south of the Ocean Reef Club on Rt 905? Across 905 to the east there is a small canal system that was man made according to my old topos. If you zoom in on the channel leading east it is buoyed off at the shoreline entrance. Thanks for your time and info! 3588192E-D8E9-4062-A94C-0CE520DCC015.jpeg I am going to give it a shot coming in on the canal to the west in Barnes Sound. One more thing have you ever checked out the intersection of Steamboat Creek and the Old Card Sound canal where there once was several docks there. Looks like a great place for smugglers to do their business. 08E04D6E-BE49-436E-9675-141637FB9F44.jpeg Little concerned with Crocs back in the mangroves being close to Turkey P., saw a pretty good sized one in Hell’s Bay last year.

Update: Just pulled the charts, 100’ No access buffer along east shoreline of Barnes Sound Mar-Oct. Looks like a change of plans.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have.....used to be an old cock fighting ring out there and alot of old cars and junk. It's now regulated by department of environmental protection. You can get a back country pass for access under the guise of bird watching and photography. In the last month I have zeroed in on red bird city, another lost settlement close to this location. Have only hunted it 3 times for a couple hours each time and it has great promise.you can check out my finds from red bird on the beach and shallow water forum. The thread title is "not the typical beach hunt....nice new site though" you will be encouraged.....I've only just begun to scrape around here. Research at islamorada library has shown at least 17 separate house holds here going back to 1844. This site was built over another site dating to 1820...and then abandoned during Seminole war. It was deserted in 1836 or 7 and resettled 1844-1846. It was then abandoned again in the 1920s 30s.......until last month when I rediscovered it. You will see in my post a flat button that dates to the earlier 1820-36 original site. I'm super excited about this site it's hot. PM me when you come down and we can hook up if you want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread