BERKS COUNTY PA. OWNER REMOVED CASH LEFT ME THE EMPTY CACHE !

D

dd2387

I've been tracking down stories about a Hessian Camp that had been in the area sometime around 1900's. While metal detecting with my DFX, I came across some old foundations. I found nails, an old horse shoe, banding from old barrels. It was getting late so I started home and as I walked past a fairly large flat rock the detector went off. I knelt over and turned the rock over and to my surprise there was a shape of a rim of a metal pot. The pot was about 8" in diameter and was filled with dirt. I dug out the dirt as fast as I could but no coins were there. This was my first cache I found, still looking !

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I work near birdsboro, seems to be alot of potential good sites around. Maybe we can get together and do some detecting one day. Good Luck Hunting!!

K

Kentucky Kache

Don't give up. Maybe next time the pot will be full.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!

You think that's bad!?

1 time I was detecting an old homested property that adjoined a large parcell that was used for a country festival every fall from the mid 1800s thru the early 1900s,

I had gone over the festival grounds several times before, and found lots of coins, etc. but, this day I was detecting the old homested,

I was under some large pine trees, and got a signal that about blew my ears off,

I dug down, and found the edge of a large old metal wash tub (now I'm thinking cache for sure!)

I uncovered it only to find it full of field stones approx. 4, 5 and 6 inches in diameter,

as I was pulling it out of the ground, I found another and another (3 total) and all 3 were full of the same = fieldstone :(

I worked for about 2 hrs digging, hualing out rocks, and uncovering these oxoxing things- only to find NOTHING!!

Better luck to BOTH of us next time!

HH

Lonewolfe

resq937

Mar 6, 2005
Dang greedy cache hiders---why cant they think of the future md'er wants to find thier hard earned money...gotta go and let us know where it was -- and not even have the decency to leave us somethin......LOL oh well you have have done better than me so far----the tip i learned was run the md over the rocks too.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Danny Danny Danny, You do realize some of these posts you are bringing back from the dead are several years old? :dontknow:
Nothing at all wrong with going through and reading them, as some contain valuable info. But unless one has something really constrictive to add, best to let them sleep in peace. :icon_scratch:
Just my opinion.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Gray Cloud is right Danny. Just read the posts without posting back unless
you have something to add to the story of a cache. We all still love ya, bud.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There may be new members who may be interesting in this subjects. I know that I am. There is great information for people to learn including myself to become better treasure hunters.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Connecticut Danny said:
There may be new members who may be interesting in this subjects. I know that I am. There is great information for people to learn including myself to become better treasure hunters.

:thumbsup:

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff
Thanks for the thumb up. Many of these posts stated out with people seeking treasures, and then no response if they found the treasure. I want to know.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I for one am glad this post was left archived.

Partner and I recently hunted a historic cache where part had been found. Found 3 different but closely associated spots where items had apparently been removed and replaced by antique glass jars with ceramic lids still on ... but holding only air. Position of the jars suggested to us that they had been placed in their positions intentionally, and concluded the cache(s) we were looking for and already been recovered, though we could find no references to them.

Early TH'ers used to hide a jar with rocks (or Dutch oven) at site where treasure was recovered. Why? To alert new discoverer that the cache had already been found. I think this was a little un-nerving at first, but kind of like the knowledge that my research was correct, even if I was a few years too late.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
listen carefully -- there is a old trick called the two pot system * when hiding a stash a small cache is often placed on top the larger one --with the ideal that once a cache hunter hits the smaller one --he will go wow --and stop looking --and quickly grab up the small cache & go off to enjoy his good luck * any future finders will find the empty pot left behind and go "geez beat to it" and not search farther ---when the "big stash" is still there buried several feet below the smaller one * :wink: -- thus the small stash is a protective giveaway to protect the bigger one :wink:

also to throw folks off their treasure cache -- crafty old timers often above it ---would place a empty pot & fill it with dirt --finders of the pot will go "geez someone beat me to it" and go away ---while the treasure just sits there a bit deeper ---LOL---old treasure hiders were not stupid.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Caches we were looking for were laid down c. 1932 for 3 descendants. Know one cache was found already. Found 3 different locations, all in a row, where older (c. 1912-1920) glass jar with ceramic lids were laid on their sides near the base of a row of windbreak trees within 30 yards of the house. Detectors both us were using were quite capable of finding deeper targets than those we actually found. There were no targets deeper.

Your logic makes perfect sense for someone who already knew about metal detectors. In 1932 there were no metal detectors.

Caches we were looking for all mostly gold coins buried after Roosevelt's recall. Around $300-400 in each cache. Would easily have been hidden in a pint jar. Jars we found were slightly larger. One had been broken. Nearby detected an old brake pedal. Could also have been the one cache we knew was recovered.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I always leave a horseshoe with the open end down. It's telling you that your research was right, but you were to late. It's an old courtesy from this area. I also found a horseshoe once at a suspected cach location and got the message. Most caches that I have found have been shallow for easy recovery by the owner. I always check the hole after recovery, but have never found a second cache.

And I thought I was the only one getting tired of meaningless comments. I can see that others have had their fill also. For the new guys, Glean the info from the post and only comment if you have something to add. It is not necessary to add a remark to every post you read!
Frank

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Did find both a horseshoe and an oxen shoe nearby. Didn't think it was significant at the time. Maybe I was wrong.

I had heard the horseshoe would be nailed to a nearby tree so the open part was downward, and all the luck would have fallen out. "A clue, Sherlock! A clue!"

The horseshoe we found was just on the ground. Found 40-50 yards away from where we felt the cache was recovered, too. I felt the oxen shoe was more interesting myself. Hardly ever find them, but gave both to the landowner.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, always leave something of metal behind so the rest of us know that the treasure was found. Many great information, Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread