Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sure that there are a good number of folks out there that perhaps, like me. . . have at one time or another thought about finding or making a treasure chest.
You know. . . the real deal. . . . or as close as it can get these days.

If it didn't cost too much, it might be kind of fun for the grand kids (really for me :laughing7:)
Something that holds about 35 - 40 lbs might be about as big as a guy might want . . . ( and have any chance of filling it up ???)

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Lets hear about your treasure chests.
Idahodutch

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
One like this would be a little heavy to try to move,
but I like the way it was filled 8-)

Treasure Chest - Gold.jpg

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't tell what size that is, but I think the gold coins might be approximately 1/4 oz size, which might make the contents about 600 - 700 oz
Maybe 40 - 50 pounds.
Now I am sure of it. . . . that chest might be just about right!
I think I would have to start with silver coins first though.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Lets hear about your treasure chests.

First, what is your endgame? Are you wanting one to hide a treasure for kids to have fun finding? Or are you wanting to really hide a treasure so people don't find it, but you can easily get to it? Probably every treasure chest from the pirate days is rotted to nothing but some rusted metal work by now. So if you want to build one for the kids to have fun, teak or water cypress would be your best woods to use, especially water cypress. If you really want to hide a treasure then I would look at some kind of PVC based container. You can use standard 6", 8" or 10" pipe with the end caps glued on with PVC glue. Or even better, use the type of PVC pipe used for gas lines in cities. It's rated for 200 years. The only all metal chests that will survive that long are either gold or lead. But the former defeats the purpose of a treasure chest, and both would be too heavy when empty, let alone when filled.

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
First, what is your endgame? Are you wanting one to hide a treasure for kids to have fun finding? Or are you wanting to really hide a treasure so people don't find it, but you can easily get to it? Probably every treasure chest from the pirate days is rotted to nothing but some rusted metal work by now. So if you want to build one for the kids to have fun, teak or water cypress would be your best woods to use, especially water cypress. If you really want to hide a treasure then I would look at some kind of PVC based container. You can use standard 6", 8" or 10" pipe with the end caps glued on with PVC glue. Or even better, use the type of PVC pipe used for gas lines in cities. It's rated for 200 years. The only all metal chests that will survive that long are either gold or lead. But the former defeats the purpose of a treasure chest, and both would be too heavy when empty, let alone when filled.
Midden Monster,
Well I hadn't really thought about end game, but it wouldn't be to bury. I just thought it would be fun. A small chest about 9"-10" wide x 5"-7" deep x 6"-8" tall would hold an impressive amount of silver or gold. The sound of setting down onto a wood floor, especially one with a crawl space, would probably sound very distinctive. I wouldn't mind hearing it, how about you? Lol
Of course the grand kids would remember it for the rest of their lives. I'd have to say that they get it when I'm gone. I might even use it to help them understand that treasure does not mean happiness.
What would you do with yours?
Idahodutch

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have a treasure chest itas about 2ft by 2ft the top is rounded this may have been an old sewing box or tool box. I put a lock on it and tossed the key a very long time ago and glued the top shut also I put all my change in it every day and anytime I can spare a 5 some ones a twenty in it goes I have no idea how much is in there but Ive been filling it for many years cant lift it anymore its fun to save...

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually have a treasure chest itas about 2ft by 2ft the top is rounded this may have been an old sewing box or tool box. I put a lock on it and tossed the key a very long time ago and glued the top shut also I put all my change in it every day and anytime I can spare a 5 some ones a twenty in it goes I have no idea how much is in there but Ive been filling it for many years cant lift it anymore its fun to save...
A2coins, that is cool. There's probably a nice vacation in that chest! A good way to put some aside that you don't miss. It adds up :thumbsup:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always like treasure chests and boxes I have alot of cool little boxes too, I like the old ones and have many dont know why but I like stuff like that. also cookie jars lol I like putting all the clad I find in mason jars pennies nickles dimes quarters all in there own jar and I label the amount on the jar like my clad quarters are 2345 I use masking tape to mark the amount so after every hunt I mark the new amount it makes finding clad more fun . Do you ever stop and just think dude your wierd, well I just did I might be but I have fun and those things I enjoy. My living room I have my desk with my display cases every silver coin is in a holder with a date where I found it ect thousands of treasure hunting mags and more boxes to put things in 3 cases for all the jewlery I find and more boxes lol Hope you find a cool treasure chest. Tommy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always like treasure chests and boxes I have alot of cool little boxes too, I like the old ones and have many dont know why but I like stuff like that. also cookie jars lol I like putting all the clad I find in mason jars pennies nickles dimes quarters all in there own jar and I label the amount on the jar like my clad quarters are 2345 I use masking tape to mark the amount so after every hunt I mark the new amount it makes finding clad more fun . Do you ever stop and just think dude your wierd, well I just did I might be but I have fun and those things I enjoy. My living room I have my desk with my display cases every silver coin is in a holder with a date where I found it ect thousands of treasure hunting mags and more boxes to put things in 3 cases for all the jewlery I find and more boxes lol Hope you find a cool treasure chest. Tommy
Tommy,
Wanting to squirl away tidbits or more for harsh winters that may come unexpected, seems to be part of a survival instinct or something, because it does come fairly natural, and it can be mildly liberating. A buffer or two is there so we don't feel backed in a corner so bad. Every little bit helps imo.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Well I hadn't really thought about end game, but it wouldn't be to bury. I just thought it would be fun. A small chest about 9"-10" wide x 5"-7" deep x 6"-8" tall would hold an impressive amount of silver or gold. The sound of setting down onto a wood floor, especially one with a crawl space, would probably sound very distinctive. I wouldn't mind hearing it, how about you? Lol

It sounds like you are more into the enjoyment/decor side of the equation. If so, I'd say let your imagination take you to the limit of your skill set. If you are into woodworking, any number of hardwoods would make a beautiful treasure chest--oak, walnut, cherry, etc. Draw out your design on paper and then have at it. If metalworking is your bag, roll in that direction. If you have access to a welder you could really get into some exotic shapes, and 1/8" plate steel wouldn't be too heavy. You could also go with brass, bronze or copper. Once its ground smooth you could finish it with a beautiful and durable paint, power coating, acid wash or chemical to create a patina. You could even polish it and let time create the patina. If you really want to let loose, create clay sculptures for the legs (if you want legs), base and lid and then use the lost wax method to cast them in bronze. Then grind and polish the seams and edges smooth and attach the pieces with the hardware of your choice. You could really create an ornate box this way. If you are serious about it you could enroll in a art/metals class at a community college or rent time at an art studio to get access to a furnace and other materials. Like I said, imagination, skills, limit. Only your mind knows where the line is.

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho why not make a small box for each grand kid. Fill each one with coins. Dollar coins on down. No penny's for the kids they just ain't cool no more. Anyhow bury each one somewhere on your property. Take each one out detecting with you. Make it a teaching lesson and let them find it. Or buy one box and make the amount divisible, by the amount of children. Either way Ill bet they go nuts!

If you want to do just one box this one is neat. https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ji5IvFoKjnAhXwhHIEHctcAH0Q9aACegQIDRB4&adurl=

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a old one ,(not a treasure chest)probably going back to the 'stagecoach' days.And probably built for storing/transporting clothes.Been in my family for 100 + years. 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a old one ,(not a treasure chest)probably going back to the 'stagecoach' days.And probably built for storing/transporting clothes.Been in my family for 100 + years. View attachment 1795751 View attachment 1795752 View attachment 1795753

RTR,
It looks like a steamer trunk. I have one that was my grandmothers. Too big for a treasure chest, but still kind of cool.
Even the strong boxes for stage coaches were not as big as a trunk. Usually 2 guys to load and off load. If it's too big, you can't move it when full. Good if you don't want someone to run off with it. Bad if you are the that one that needs to do the running ???
Idahodutch

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like you are more into the enjoyment/decor side of the equation. If so, I'd say let your imagination take you to the limit of your skill set. If you are into woodworking, any number of hardwoods would make a beautiful treasure chest--oak, walnut, cherry, etc. Draw out your design on paper and then have at it. If metalworking is your bag, roll in that direction. If you have access to a welder you could really get into some exotic shapes, and 1/8" plate steel wouldn't be too heavy. You could also go with brass, bronze or copper. Once its ground smooth you could finish it with a beautiful and durable paint, power coating, acid wash or chemical to create a patina. You could even polish it and let time create the patina. If you really want to let loose, create clay sculptures for the legs (if you want legs), base and lid and then use the lost wax method to cast them in bronze. Then grind and polish the seams and edges smooth and attach the pieces with the hardware of your choice. You could really create an ornate box this way. If you are serious about it you could enroll in a art/metals class at a community college or rent time at an art studio to get access to a furnace and other materials. Like I said, imagination, skills, limit. Only your mind knows where the line is.
Middenmonster,
Lots of great ideas. I definitely like wood with curved lid, somewhat rustic yet an ornate feel. It needs to be not just sturdy looking, but actually sturdy. I'm thinking some iron support bands, and cross bands. I'll also want to check out some hardware options, would prefer used, or reclaimed for a more authentic look. Maybe iron ring type handles would best for actual carry function.
Been thinking about the inside too. Perhaps a couple of lift out trays, attached with brackets so the contents of the trays and the rest of the chest are accessible when all opened. A durable but plush lining, if there is such a thing. Size . . . Idk, maybe about 16" wide x 10" deep x 14" high.
I do plan on making it myself, so we'll see how the raw version of the chest turns out before actually getting the rest of the materials to finish. Now that I think about it, It might be a good idea to acquire or at least investigate the hardware options. Chest size meh vary depending on hardware available, or rethink things. :icon_scratch:
Anyway,
Thanks for the ideas. A good project for the near future. We'll see if it happens :laughing7:
Idahodutch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread