JJames

Greenie
May 10, 2016
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Fisher, Minelab, etc.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how to put pics on here. The j starts on top of a rock about 4 inches thick. The j ends underneath the rock. Beside it is 3 slash marks. Those marks are about 2 inches long, maybe. It's a small mark.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how to put pics on here. The j starts on top of a rock about 4 inches thick. The j ends underneath the rock. Beside it is 3 slash marks. Those marks are about 2 inches long, maybe. It's a small mark.

This honestly means nothing.. I could get bored in my rocky hills and sit with a dart and carve any number of meaningless things into a medium of my choosing... No pictures no help. that simple. what makes you believe this could be treasure related, or nonnatural, or any form of circumstances related to or not of treasure...? Not to be hard on you but really, there needs to be context behind your question.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Does anyone know what this symbol means? It's carved on a rock.

My first thought was that it has something to do with a ranch that incorporates the backwards J into it's logo. What part of Oklahoma do you live in? A quick Google search shows that there is a "Backwards J Construction" in Tuttle, Oklahoma.

OP
OP
J

JJames

Greenie
May 10, 2016
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not associated with a ranch, it's Jesse James stuff. I already know that. Just asking a general question. Does anybody know the general meaning of a carved backwards J in association with k g c? Thanks

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
It's not associated with a ranch, it's Jesse James stuff. I already know that. Just asking a general question. Does anybody know the general meaning of a carved backwards J in association with k g c? Thanks

There is another way you can use your old friend Google to search for your specific image. First, take a picture of the backwards J and put the image file on your desktop. Then go to the Google search page, search for anything and when you get the results click the "Images" link below the search bar on the image page. On the right side of the search bar you should see a camera icon. Click the camera icon and upload the image of the backwards J picture that is on your desktop. Google will search the Internet for matching images and display the results that are returned. If there is anything that matches, click on those images and visit the pages associated with them. Because of the axiom "garbage in, garbage out" you will want the picture you take to be as clear and high quality as possible, with as little distortions and other non-relevant elements as possible. Another way to do it would be to draw the image in dark ink (with something like a Sharpie) on a piece of white paper (or light ink on dark paper", take a picture of that and then upload the image using the steps above. The latter method has the advantage of being able to eliminate all extraneous markings that might show up on the picture you take of the rock.

OP
OP
J

JJames

Greenie
May 10, 2016
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot for the information. Don't have a computer in my house. I live in the way out country away from any connections. But I do appreciate it, thanks

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what this symbol means? It's carved on a rock.

It's not associated with a ranch, it's Jesse James stuff. I already know that.

Good morning JJames!

These two statements are antithetical to each other. If we haven't even established what it means (or if it's even man made yet), we can't make the quantum leap in logic to asserting its Jesse James related yet.

To help, and we appreciate you reaching out for help, we first are going to need a picture. That way we can start with the very first step in verification, was it made by humans? From there, we can then start to study it's age, it's intent, it's meaning and then maybe, and that's a very uncertain maybe, we can find who carved it there and if it has any historical significance.

Last edited:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot for the information. Don't have a computer at my house. I live in the way out country away from any connections. But I do appreciate it, thanks

Your phone or tablet is obviously good enough to post here so it's obviously good enough to use Google to do a bunch of searching...

To be truthful, you're only going to get flamed and Vague replies if you yourself are going to be this vague.
Tons of resources online to answer these questions. There is zero / no context for your questions. Backward J could have been from illiterate Jim-Bob...
Pictures are worth a thousand words or so they say, so maybe be a little bit more transparent with your question and show us something to go by. Otherwise
don't bother posting nothingness as its a waste of everyone's time. Like I said before, not here to flame you, but the way you're going about this with not even crumbs, it's going to happen.

Lots of good people here willing to help, not everyone is out to steal you "Treasures" or whatever it might be.

:BangHead:

Last edited:

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The J means come up or up. If it is on the left, come up on that side, if on the tight same thing. Slashes mean different things depending on angle.

OP
OP
J

JJames

Greenie
May 10, 2016
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Ecominer. Appreciate it. I know it means a direction and pretty sure it's 300 feet. Just wondering which direction to go.
Thanks again

SpanishTHunter

Feb 13, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A reversed "J" doesn't mean anything other then what you want it to mean. We still haven't seen a picture of it to determine if it's man made, but for the sake of argument, lets say it is a man carved reverse looking "J". It could be an inversed initial J (not so uncommon at the time when signing an X for your signature was common), it could be the code of your rock shelter club house, it could be the initial of your girlfriend, it could be an Indian carving of water flow, it could be whatever the carver intended it to mean, nothing more, nothing less. No documented, legitimate treasure in the recorded history of man has ever been found through a reverse "J", so attributing it to treasure at this point is the least likely of all its possible meanings.

Can you post a picture of it?

You must be a very negative person. Glad I’m not around you in real life

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
You must be a very negative person. Glad I’m not around you in real life

That doesn't sound negative to me. All GoDeep is saying is that there is insufficient evidence at this point to draw conclusions. And when it comes to treasure hunting, it makes sense to me that one should invest significant energy into a lot of research before stabbing a shovel into the soil. Imagine how many holes could be dug or time and energy spent if people saw clues in every odd mark. You only have so much time and energy in this life, and you have to make it count. Taking the time to analyze these oddities and apply some scientific reasoning and logic to the process will serve us well in these endeavors. If I were to speculate--and I will, most of the caches that have been found in the United States have been stumbled on by people who weren't looking for them. And most of those caches, while interesting and thrilling to the finder, didn't make them rich. One of the reasons I don't spend a lot of time metal detecting is that the operating axiom is, "Dig everything!". I've seen too many pull tabs, bottle caps and rusty nails come up out of the ground after 10 minutes of digging to invest a lot of time in in unless I have a pretty good reason to dig. Granted, if I was out in the middle of nowhere and there are no signs of human activity I would be more prone to dig everything. But in old neighborhoods or around buildings I would take the time to research where likely caches would be buried, i.e. near big trees or other landmarks that the person who buried the cache would be likely to use to find a cache they buried many years before.

SpanishTHunter

Feb 13, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't sound negative to me. All GoDeep is saying is that there is insufficient evidence at this point to draw conclusions. And when it comes to treasure hunting, it makes sense to me that one should invest significant energy into a lot of research before stabbing a shovel into the soil. Imagine how many holes could be dug or time and energy spent if people saw clues in every odd mark. You only have so much time and energy in this life, and you have to make it count. Taking the time to analyze these oddities and apply some scientific reasoning and logic to the process will serve us well in these endeavors. If I were to speculate--and I will, most of the caches that have been found in the United States have been stumbled on by people who weren't looking for them. And most of those caches, while interesting and thrilling to the finder, didn't make them rich. One of the reasons I don't spend a lot of time metal detecting is that the operating axiom is, "Dig everything!". I've seen too many pull tabs, bottle caps and rusty nails come up out of the ground after 10 minutes of digging to invest a lot of time in in unless I have a pretty good reason to dig. Granted, if I was out in the middle of nowhere and there are no signs of human activity I would be more prone to dig everything. But in old neighborhoods or around buildings I would take the time to research where likely caches would be buried, i.e. near big trees or other landmarks that the person who buried the cache would be likely to use to find a cache they buried many years before.

You’re better off looking for a treasure that has been marked. Metal detecting IMO is nothing but a waste of time

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Exactly my point and it's refreshing to see some get it. My point is to actually help by following the facts of the evidence. At this point, all we really know, is that there was a backwards "J", that the OP originally said he didn't know what it means and asked for our help. To actually help, one needs to critically examine the evidence. Let's break it down by examining the evidence critically; it's what every legitimate scientist, archeologist, law enforcement officer and treasure hunter does and it's why they have success in solving mysteries. What I see time and time again is putting the horse before the cart: a declaration that there must be treasure nearby and then trying to make every stump, scratch, rock, whisper, etc. point to that "treasure". You need to let the facts lead the investigation, not make the facts fit the desired narrative.

Last edited:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
You’re better off looking for a treasure that has been marked.

I wholeheartedly agree. But that's pretty much a tautology, like saying that it is better to shop at a grocery store that has food. Where GoDeep and I are coming from is that the effort and energy need to be put into research to determine what is and what is not a "mark".

Metal detecting IMO is nothing but a waste of time

I don't know if I would go that far. For me, metal detecting is something to be used for confirmation and validation. It's a tool, but only one tool among many that a treasure hunter should use. For many however, metal detecting is a perfectly good hobby that is fun, interesting and entertaining. They find many things, and even if they aren't worth much the thrill of the hunt is what provides enjoyment. A lot of people here have found lost rings or other personalized objects and were able to return them to their rightful owners. They derived satisfaction from doing a good deed. If I lived near a beach where rubes lose stuff all the time I might find myself metal detecting more often. But I live in a suburban neighborhood that has decades of construction debris and general metal trash in the soil, so I don't see the draw in metal detecting here. But there is no doubt some nice finds below the soil, since the neighborhood dates back to the 1920's. I just don't have the patience to dig up 300 pull tabs to find a 1920 penny.

Exactly my point and it's refreshing to see some get it. My point is to actually help by following the facts of the evidence. At this point, all we really know, is that there was a backwards "J", that the OP originally said he didn't know what it means and asked for our help. To actually help, one needs to critically examine the evidence. Let's break it down by examining the evidence critically; it's what every legitimate scientist, archeologist, law enforcement officer and treasure hunter does and it's why they have success in solving mysteries. What I see time and time again is putting the horse before the cart: a declaration that there must be treasure nearby and then trying to make every stump, scratch, rock, whisper, etc. point to that "treasure". You need to let the facts lead the investigation, not make the facts fit the desired narrative.

Logic and reason are probably the best tools that a treasure hunter has. Falsifiability beats Baconianism every time. You can't just draw conclusions from observations. Doctors know this, which is why the DDx (Differential Diagnosis) process is so important. Your observations and conclusions have to survive a barrage of opposing arguments before you go whole hog into a major endeavor. The people in the Shipwreck forum don't just sail around the ocean and initiate a major salvage operation when they come upon a piece of debris on the ocean floor. They research what ships were in the area at the time, what ships sank in that area, what the ship was carrying and its function. They have built in economic constraints that force them to do this, whereas cache hunters rely more on labor and time. I'm reminded of a quote that is attributed to Abraham Lincoln: "If I had eight hours to chop down a large tree, I would spend the first six hours sharpening my axe." I don't know if he really said it, but the logic is sound nevertheless.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread made me think of the backwards J's I've seen. There is a headstone that has every J reversed. Its not only in the name, its in the date too. I wonder if the carver was trying for a capital J. Look at a cursive capital J

The carver didn't plan too well. He ran out of room and the letters go around the side of the stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions