Dig everything?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dig all repeatable signals and many iffy signals. On the beach or in the water I dig everything. Farm fields, I usually dig everything. As you can see I dig a lot of plugs/holes. Today, while detecting a farm field I dropped 227 holes (loose soil), much was trash, but that's metal detecting. I do not let my metal detectors "talk me" out of digging. The more you dig the more you get, both trash and keepers. :icon_thumleft:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
The more you dig the more you get, both trash and keepers. :icon_thumleft:

So true. But out of curiosity, where is your demarcation between "trash" and "keepers"? Obviously gold would be near the extreme end of "keeper" if we used a spectrum as a guide. For the sake of argument let's say a rusted piece of tin can is the extreme on the "trash" side of the spectrum. Between the two are bottle caps, flip top tabs, rusted modern nails, rusted hand made nails, wheat pennies, etc. What is an example of something that is right on the dividing line for you?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very good question MiddenMonster,

A lot of the farms have a lot of aluminum trash (canslaw, cans...) this is junk. Being a relic hunter, I find a lot of cool things that many would call junk, like perfect square nails, pieces of old farm equipment and many personal items used in the past...etc. I bring it all home, junk and all then sort through the bag. All obvious keepers, coins jewelry and relics (silver spoons, pocket watches...etc.) are placed in the keeper pouch.

As I stated, I usually dig everything in farms, parks and play areas you need to be a bit selective. In those place if research shows it is basically modern, I'm a bit more selective on some signals, but in the gold and silver region I dig all. In many cases it's foil, but I've been surprised many times with a nice gold ring.

Regards,

Doc

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps that cache of gold coins laying inside a rusty old box was not meant to be found by just anyone. No they are laying there waiting for that special person who has paid their dues by digging every signal, yes they have been laying there all these years waiting patiently for someone like me who will dig that trash signal. :icon_thumleft:

gbox.jpg

Today is the day!
GG~

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Goodyguy, you are right! :icon_thumleft: You really ever know unless you dig it, since gold, platinum and other cool things hide among the junk! :BangHead:

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I wish I'd took a pic of my junk today to show them I'm obviously not too picky about digging

Please dont....next thing you know this will turn into mines bigger then yours....:laughing9:

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig anything deep and repeatable. If it's shallow and repeatable I might cherry-pick the numbers.

I'll be the first to admit, what I dig also depends on whether I'm 2 minutes into the hunt or two hours. :tongue3:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Gotcha. You dig trash initially and then once tired, you pass up on digging gold...

Some of my best finds are found when getting ready to call it a day as too tired. Ten, bam, keeper and I am ready to swing for another hour or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread